Koodo Community
Solved

tab bonus

Userlevel 1

Hey guys. So I am wanting to pay off my tab balance (almost 300) for my LG Velvet and purchase the pre owned S20 available in the shop.

I have a tab bonus balance left over 300... Will i have to pay back that if i pay off the tab? 

icon

Best answer by Mayumi 3 June 2021, 19:37

“Will i have to pay back that if i pay off the tab? “

Paying off Tab balance  early doesn't trigger to pay back Tab bonus.

If you upgrade your phone along with pay off your tab balance, then yes.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey guys. So I am wanting to pay off my tab balance (almost 300) for my LG Velvet and purchase the pre owned S20 available in the shop.

I have a tab bonus balance left over 300... Will i have to pay back that if i pay off the tab? 

When did you start your Tab? If you started it on or after August 25, 2019, you will need to pay off the remaining Tab Bonus balance as well. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Will i have to pay back that if i pay off the tab? “

Paying off Tab balance  early doesn't trigger to pay back Tab bonus.

If you upgrade your phone along with pay off your tab balance, then yes.

Userlevel 1

Yes i only started this tab in Feb 2021. I dislike this phone compared to my old s9... And now the s20 that I wanted to get back in Feb are avail at better pricing. But to pay off my tab balance and my tab bonus would be toooo much. Can't even sell it for that much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes i only started this tab in Feb 2021. I dislike this phone compared to my old s9... And now the s20 that I wanted to get back in Feb are avail at better pricing. But to pay off my tab balance and my tab bonus would be toooo much. Can't even sell it for that much.

True.  You just bought your new phone a few month ago.

Tab bonus is great if you stick with the phone for 24 months. You don't need to pay a lot upfront and/or monthly payment is smaller.   But, if you upgrade  or cancel the service within 24 month, pay back is huge in some cases...

Userlevel 1

Okay.. So if I sell this phone, and pay off my tab balance. Can I order a new phone on new tab before I pay the entire tab bonus off? Or do they both need to be 0 first?

Someone is offering 325 for my LG Velvet, i owe 285 on the tab balance .... And tab bonus is at 255 .... So would the 215 owed go on my next bill? Would it have to be paid before i order a new phone on a new tab?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Okay.. So if I sell this phone, and pay off my tab balance. Can I order a new phone on new tab before I pay the entire tab bonus off? Or do they both need to be 0 first?

Someone is offering 325 for my LG Velvet, i owe 285 on the tab balance .... And tab bonus is at 255 .... So would the 215 owed go on my next bill? Would it have to be paid before i order a new phone on a new tab?

Tab bonus will be applied to your next bill so you don't need to worry about that until then. Tab balance can be deferred to the next bill as well!

Userlevel 1

But if the phone I purchase now is a few hundred and comes with a tab balance *and a tab bonus* of its own ?? Im worried i sell this to pay the tab balance and then I am waiting to pay the tab bonus before i can order a new phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

But if the phone I purchase now is a few hundred and comes with a tab balance *and a tab bonus* of its own ?? Im worried i sell this to pay the tab balance and then I am waiting to pay the tab bonus before i can order a new phone

You can't order a new phone on new tab, unless you  agree to pay off the balance of $285 and pay back the bonus $255.  They will be on your next bill. So, $540 will be added onto your next bill.

And yes. The S20 includes $760 huge tab bonus.  If you upgrade or cancel the service, then pay back will be big again.    If you stick with the phone for 24minths, then it's good buy.

Userlevel 1

So in attempt to put it in my cart and proceed it notified me that my tab balance is -285 and that needs to be paid before I can upgrade. Hopefully it won't surprise me with the rest of it next time I try to purchase lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So in attempt to put it in my cart and proceed it notified me that my tab balance is -285 and that needs to be paid before I can upgrade. Hopefully it won't surprise me with the rest of it next time I try to purchase lol

If it’s asking you to pay the tab balance right then and there then you can back out, go view your tab balance in self serve and click the button to have it applied to your next bill. Then go back and purchase the phone and you’ll be fine. You should be able to get away without having to pay anything at the time of purchase and it can all be applied to your next bill.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @MissCourtneyy!

As @Allan M mentioned above, you need to request a tab payoff on self-serve in order to have the amount transferred to the next bill and then go to place the order. In case you encounter any errors, feel free to send us a DM/PM on Facebook or Twitter. :)

Userlevel 1

Thank you all for your answers and support! This is always the place to come for my koodo questions 😁

Sorry for the delayed reply i was waiting on payday just incase i got a surprise charge... 

I was able to select pay off tab balance on next bill, and purchase the new phone on a new tab. It said my tab bonus would be on my next bill also (gonna be a big one haha) ... Of course the cert pre owned one with 0 down was no longer available so I had to splurge and spend a little but i got my brand new S20 fe ordered and as long as the buyer of my current phone doesnt back out then it won't cost me as much as I was afraid of. 

Thanks again everyone!! 💜