Koodo Community

Shock me data pricing!

I am seriously considering leaving koodo for a few reasons. It makes me really sad but it seems they have become greedy and money hungry to the point of visibly and actively looking to skrew over long term customers. I've had my plan since 2010 and always been a word of mouth advertisement for this company and how awesome they are (well used to be).
Twice they have almost tricked me into changing my rateplan. And since the switch to "shock free" it's actually comical the lengths they've gone to to attempt to gouge me on my data rates. They were profitable in 2010 with reasonable prices they must be making bank hand over fist now. Here is the message I am now sent when they turn off my data when I hit my 2 GB limit:

(2 of 2) To unpause your data, reply with one of the following data options which is valid until the end of your bill cycle:
- Y
- 22YES to get 1GB at $22.00
- 12YES to get 300MB at $12.00
- YES to get 512MB of data for $5

Or visit koodo.com/datatopups

12 yes gets me an extra... Oh wait no it gets me 212MB less for an extra 7 dollars or 22yes gets me a GB (which has always only cost me 10 in overages) for 22 bucks 12 dollars more for the same exact data they've been profiting off of for a decade just at double the prices... If that's not price gouging I don't know what is?
My other concern is that a fresh customer with zero loyalty and no word of mouth advertisement can get a tab lg tab xl or tab XXL and get a rad new phone $0 no problems, but me a long term loyal customer can only get a tab medium and pay out the ass for a new phone... I can go to bell today and get a s9+ for free but if I want it from Koodo it's 350 bucks plus tab medium note9 also free from bell or freedom mobile... But my good ol' Koodo 600 bucks... Plus the tab medium

It's been good kiddo but I think it's time we break up. And not a nice one... I'm gonna throw your crap out on the lawn and call your mother!
LoL
Bye

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi,
Is this a rant? and few sentences for goodbye? If so, good luck and enjoy S9+ with Bell.
Badge +4
Shambha Burning Crawfy MacLeay wrote:

what is?
My other concern is that a fresh customer with zero loyalty and no word of mouth advertisement can get a tab lg tab xl or tab XXL and get a rad new phone $0 no problems, but me a long term loyal customer can only get a tab medium and pay out the ass for a new phone... I can go to bell today and get a s9+ for free but if I want it from Koodo it's 350 bucks plus tab medium note9 also free from bell or freedom mobile... But my good ol' Koodo 600 bucks... Plus the tab medium

Why can you only get tab medium? IMO anything higher than tab medium is not a good deal. Yes they offer a lower down price on the phone but the increase of the plan costs over 2 years makes you end up paying alot more in the long run.

I agree with you on the data top up prices. Ridiculous.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Data top up rate with Bell is beyond ridiculous. $40 for 1GB :)) https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Rate_plans_features/What-are-Bell-Mobilitys-current-pay-per-use-rates

And by the way, Bell would not ask customers if they want or not, they would just charge data overage.
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Data top up rate with Bell is beyond ridiculous. $40 for 1GB :)) https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Rate_plans_features/What-are-Bell-Mobilitys-current-pay-per-use-rates

And by the way, Bell would not ask customers if they want or not, they would just charge data overage.

I agree. Any providers top up rates are crazy.

And Bell would be my 2nd to last choice for a cell phone provider, with Rogers being last.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, it's price gouging. Everyone does it. You will not find a better per gb overage rate than a 2010 plan. I'm guessing that you still get 10/gb with your plan, and that's a lot better than the options provided to you below "y."

Large and higher plans are in general more expensive than the "regular" plans. Take what youre paying now per mo th, add the medium tab, and multiply by 24 months. Do the same for whatever tab xl plan your want. Compare the two numbers. Chances are you're paying a lot less over 24 months. Or do you care more about the upfront vs actual cost? 80 for 5gb on tab L-XXL. Or 60 for 6gb on tab medium or whatever you're paying for your current plan. The S9+ is 10 dollars more on tab medium than tab XL and if you went with in market plans only, you get to pay 480 a month plus tax for that "privilege."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you won't sign up for a tab large plan you don't get to use tab large/extra large. That goes for all customers, whether they're brand new or they've been with Koodo for years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Shambha Burning Crawfy MacLeay It seems you are on a plan that is a few years old. It's not a shock free data plan. You could easily switch to our promo plan online at zero additional cost and go from having 2gb to having 6gb. You could also get a Tab Large although the plan won't be as rich since we are fully subsidizing the cost of the S9. I would suggest to take a tab medium, grab the awesome promo plan and you could start the new year with a bang! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I dont understand.
You have the option to get 512MB of data for $5. This has been the best overage rate that I have seen in the last 8 years and Koodo has only been around for about 10 years.

And you should be eligible for same promo on Koodo's website as a new customer.

I dont understand. You are getting everything you want or have ever had