Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Questions about cancelling a tab plan and associated fees

I want to buy a phone on a plus +tab and then cancel it a few days after. Reason for is that it is cheaper to do it this way then buy it outright. (currently on koodo prepaid).

However, it comes with a free.gift(charger). When I cancel, can i just return the charger? or do I have to pay the value to it? Also, am I paying for a month billing of the plan?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You cannot do this, as you cannot pay off your tab until 90 days has passed. This is why they put this into effect. My apologies
Chadwick wrote:

You cannot do this, as you cannot pay off your tab until 90 days has passed. This is why they put...

No, as far as I know I can cancel anytime I want and there are no rules to that. If there is, please link me. The question is, whether I will be charged for the value of the.gift or can I simply return the.gift.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

You cannot do this, as you cannot pay off your tab until 90 days has passed. This is why they put...

It's not advertised, but AFAIK, the 90 day rule is written into newer agreements. You can't buy a post-paid phone without a plan that has this agreement attached.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Thx Bob, i knew i heard it somewhere
Chadwick wrote:

Interesting. When I try to buy online, the only disclaimer is this one:

"Any bonus.gift you receive is yours after 90 days as a Koodo customer. If you cancel service before then, you agree to pay the value of it"

This would also imply that you can cancel service before 90 days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Have to be very careful implying anything when it comes to mobile agreements. Always assume it only means exactly what it says: paying the value of any.gift or incentive probably means reimbursing any favourable discount you obtained on signing if you terminate early.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

If you were to return the phone for a refund, you'd need to return the.gift. If you're to settle your tab, the phone and.gift are yours.
Chadwick wrote:

Say for instance you were to upgrade to the LG G3 or the Moto X Play on a $360.00 tab and were to cancel a day later.  To go on a $360.00 tab you actually receive a $50.00 activation credit (the phone is worth $410.00 and Koodo waives $50.00 on a tab).  If you cancel the service within 90 days you would pay the full price of the phone ($410.00) and have to return any bonus.gifts (such as.gift cards or wireless chargers).  Hope this helps to clarify things!
Userlevel 5
Hey everyone! When a phone is purchased on a Tab and you receive a free.gift with it, the.gift is charged back on the final invoice if the account is cancelled within 90 days of the activation date. Any activation credit that is provided directly on the Tab (ie, Sam's example) is not charged back with the cancellation.

If an upgrade or a new activation is done and the account holder is looking to do a complete Tab payoff but keep the account active, a 90 day period has to pass before the Tab payoff can be completed. I hope this clarifies!