Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Question About New Plans

Userlevel 1
I am currently on a $50/month plan with a $5/month tab charge (total bill=$55 plus tax).  I get 750 mins talk time, 750 mb data with that plan among a few other things.  I'm thinking of switching to the new $45 plan (shock free) that includes 500 minutes of talk time and 1 G of data per month.  I have $76 left on my tab and in order to change my plan I'm told I have to pay that off first.  Once I do that will I then begin building a tab up from that point forward?  Also, with the plan I have now, I contribute $5 and Koodo contributes $7.50 towards my tab monthly.  What happens when I buy a new phone and I have to begin paying towards a tab again?  Does Koodo still contribute toward that tab monthly.  If not, how does the guaranteed 2 year pay off work if I'm only contributing $5 or $10 toward a $360 tab, for instance? At the end of 2 years I would still have an amount owing on my tab.  Hopefully this all makes sense and you are able to provide me with some answers.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
once you pay off your tab (edit-on your CURRENT phone), you won't have a new Tab, as your phone will be paid off.  EDIT - So that $45 plan will only be $45 a month.
With a new phone, for example the LG G3, what happens is that Koodo takes the Value of the phone and divides amongst the 24 months of the term to determine your Tab Charge. 
So for the LG G3, the phone's value is $410.  Koodo gives you a $50 Activation Bonus.  So your Tab Balance is $360.  That divided by 24 months is $15.  So $15 would be added each month to your bill, so that $45 500/1GB plan would be $60 for 24 months.  Once your Tab is paid off (which can take a maximum of 24 months, or you can pay it off after a minimum of 90 days) that $15 Tab Charge is removed and you'd pay only $45 a month.
Userlevel 6
and that $76 will go on your next bill, whether you just change plans on your current phone or upgrade to a new phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jru Gordon wrote:

and that $76 will go on your next bill, whether you just change plans on your current phone or up...

You could also sit it out on your current plan if that suits and in six months +/- your tab is clear. Koodo will have kicked in 6 x 7.50 = $45. Your immediate out of pocket is 6 x (50 + 5) = $330 and your current phone is then free and clear.

Go for the new phone above now and you pay $76 + 6 x (45 + 15) = $436 over the next 6 months and you still owe 18 x 15 = $270 on the new G3.

Userlevel 1
Jru Gordon wrote:

and that $76 will go on your next bill, whether you just change plans on your current phone or up...

But if I wait it out, I risk losing out on the plan for 1 G of data because that's limited time offer. 
Userlevel 1
Thanks, Jru.  If I'm planning on upgrading my phone sometime in the next 6 months to a year, does it make sense for me to switch plans now?  Will I be able to keep the $45/month plan that I switch to when I upgrade? 
Userlevel 1
I am still confused about what happens when I pay off my tab?  I have another phone and my tab was paid off a while ago.  Now I'm earning credit towards my tab to use towards upgrading my phone at any time.  If I change plans and pay off the tab on the other account, will I still be building up a credit towards a new phone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your  $50/month plan with a $5/month tab charge(Tab M) is in the old tab system.
- Koodo is contributing  $xx/mo  towards your tab
- you can accumulating positive tab credit up to $150

The new $45 plan (shock free) is in the new tab system.
- no more Koodo's contribution
- no more accumulating positive tab

You will enter the new tab system when you buy a phone with the new Tab(up to $360) or you change your old plan to a new plan as Jru mentioned.
(That's why you will need to pay off your old/current tab first)

You mentioned that you are earning positive tab on your other account.
So, you can change your plan to a new one any time, but you will stop earning positive tab as soon as you changed it (you will enter the new tab system)

Is this explain well how this new tab system works? (I know my English isn't...)

Let us know which part is still confusing you.
Userlevel 1
Thank you, Mayumi, your English is very good and I understand completely now.    Thank you to everyone who offered assistance.
Mayumi, will that positive tab from the old plan apply to a phone purchased on a new plan? say I have a $50.00 positive tab on my old plan, will I get a discount of $50 on my new plan using those credits?
Userlevel 6
Brad Martin wrote:

Mayumi, will that positive tab from the old plan apply to a phone purchased on a new plan? say I ...

You'll get $50 off a phone of your choosing when you upgrade. Not a discount on your plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can use your $50 positive tab towards a new phone. Say new phone you want to buy is $500. Use Positive $50 > $450 for new phone. You can use new Tab( up to $360) $90 upfront and $15/mo for next 24months You can keep your plan, but you will enter the new Tab system. No more Koodo's contribution, no more accumulate positive tab