Koodo Community
Question

Paying off tab balance with tab bonus

• 2 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi! 

I got a new phone with both a tab balance and tab bonus.   I wondering what would happen to the tab bonus if I were to pay my tab balance off completely? Would I be on the hook to pay that aswell? Thanks 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Define tab bonus? Like crédits in addition to the tab amount?

The Tab Bonus helps reduce the cost of your phone, making it easy for you to get the phone you really want. The difference between the Tab and the Tab Bonus is that you pay a Tab charge to reduce your Tab balance every month, but your Tab Bonus is all for you – by Koodo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From their site:

"since your Tab Bonus balance reduces every month over 24 months until it reaches $0, you only have to back the remaining balance at the time you cancel, renew, or change to an ineligible rate plan."

So, if you simply pay off your Tab balance, then it doesn't impact your Tab bonus/phone credit. It means you don't have to pay back "Tab bonus" at that time.

But its 24 months clock is remain in the system. So, if you upgrade your phone or cancel the service within 24mo, then you have to pay back "bonus".

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In other words, it’s their way of keeping you with them without a contract. Like a “contract” but paper free. They give you a gift in exchange for you staying with Koodo for 24 months.

I have been with Koodo for over 7 years and paid off 5 Tabs. 

Then suddenly there is a thing called "Tab Bonus" & when combined with "Tab balance" your total "Tab" is increased by that "Bonus" ... what am I missing??

Is it just me - or has Koodo's Customer service taken a HUGE dive??

Entirely fed up & will absolutely discourage anyone from ever switching to or even remaining a Koodo customer 

Unimpressed!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have been with Koodo for over 7 years and paid off 5 Tabs. 

Then suddenly there is a thing called "Tab Bonus" & when combined with "Tab balance" your total "Tab" is increased by that "Bonus" ... what am I missing??

Is it just me - or has Koodo's Customer service taken a HUGE dive??

Entirely fed up & will absolutely discourage anyone from ever switching to or even remaining a Koodo customer 

Unimpressed!!

If you stay with them for 24months, then this Tab bonus/phone credit might benefit you since you don't pay anything in not it.   If you can buy a phone from Apple or Google outright, then you won't be stuck with Tab agreement.

This is the new way to keep you within the provider…

If you go to other providers, they are basically doing all same now...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This may help explain the Tab Bonus

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

Thank you for the explanation -

I feel it is certainly an odd way of doing things, It was extremely confusing - with no information provided prior to implementing to explain exactly what it means 

I will then "assume" all Koodo Customers with a Tab have this new added "feature", correct? And I believe you also stated all Carriers are doing this now for Customers on a tab

I will add, this issue was somewhat insignificant when I consider the very lengthy list of all the things I am completely unsatisfied with -:If I were to explain, in detail it would take pages.…

Kathleen Bird