Koodo Community

Community

Solved

No tax return on the Tab credits?

I signed a 2-year tab plan with Koodo early this January and started a Tab with an initial tab balance of $360. Because I exchanged the phone twice (same model) in January, somehow, I got some tab credits/ adjustments and I still haven't paid any tabs for the first month. However, I already paid taxes for 3 tab charges. Right now my tab balance is still $360, which I still have to pay tax on next month. How does this work? I got the tab charge credits, but I still need to pay taxes for tab charges? This seems really unfair. I am very confused.

10 replies

you should be able to use them to purchase a new phone
ness wrote:

you should be able to use them to purchase a new phone

No. I don't have any credits remaining at all since each month there is are Tab charges and the credit is just used to "offset" the tab charge. However, I still paid taxes on Tab charges since the taxes on the Tab charges are not "offset" by the Tab credit. This is where I am confused about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
i'm confused...

"I exchanged the phone twice..."
 - You can trade-in 1 phone at a  time to receive a credit towards a new phone.

"...I still haven't paid any tabs for the first month. However, I already paid taxes for 3 tab charges."
- So... you didn't pay any tab.  But you paid only tax for tab [ 3 tab charges?]...? 

What phone did you get?
Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

- You can trade-in 1 phone at a&nbs...

I got the LG, G3 early January and because of the phone was defective, I exchanged the phone twice (same model LG G3). 

Essentially, the monthly bill does not include any tab charges for Jan and Feb. However, the taxes is calculated on the amount with tab charges. So I paid taxes on the monthly rate plus two tab charges. And my tab balance is sill 360, which is unchanged. So when I pay it off, I still have to pay taxes on the full tab amount. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood "Exchange", I thought you did  "Trade-in" to get a new phone.

I would call customer service *611 from your Koodo phone (option 5)
They can see your account/bill info, and they will help you fix this issue.
There is no charge for bill inquiry.

Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

Do you see an issue here with my case? I already called the customer service and they said this is how it works. The taxes on the tab charges can not be deducted, only the tab charge can be deducted automatically so the there is nothing wrong with the taxes. I am really confused. Should I try to call them again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

So, you paid : [plan + Tax ] + [Tax for tab charge] for Jan and Feb.
You didn't pay tab charge each month and your tab balance was remain $360...

I can't access your bill, so I can't see how they charged taxes without tab charge for Jan and Feb.
They are right for  "The taxes on the tab charges can not be deducted" 
(You have to pay tax on tab charge.)

I would check the Ebill again and see what you paid for- paid only tax for tab charge?(I might misunderstanding here...)
And if you still have question/doubt, then yes, you should call back(I would)

Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

Thank you for your comment. You are right about paying [plan + Tax ] + [Tax for tab charge] for Jan and Feb. Essentially they calculated the total tax amount based on the plan plus tab charges. After that, the tab charge was deducted and thus the amount I pay would include the taxes on tab charges even though I wasn't paying off any tabs. My tab balance is still -$360. I know I should pay taxes on tabs but even though I wasn't paying tabs for the last two bills I still got taxed for it. This is where I got confused. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

No problem 🙂
I hope they can fix  this issue and/or explain what's going on your bill this time.
Userlevel 5
Mayumi wrote:

i'm confused...

Hey Jack,

If your Tab balance is still -360, you should not have payed taxes for the Tab. You are supposed to pay taxes only when there are charges (plan, add-ons or Tab). This is probably an issue related to the exchange and we would love to help however we do not have access to accounts from the Community. Could you please send us an email from this link: http://koo.do/11eMLdy. Make sure to select "Social Media" as a category and login to your Self Serve account when requested.

Thanks