Koodo Community
Solved

New Tab vs. Old Tab

Userlevel 4
Can someone explain the cost difference between the new tabs and the old tabs? I really see no benefit to this new tab. In the old tab, Koodo paid off 10% (or 15%, or whatever) of the bill, that went to pay off the cost of the tab remaining. Now, the cost of the phone may be free, but the total cost is ultimately paid for by the customer, as the total cost is divided out by the number of months it is paid over (over 24 months). Are the plans cheaper now, that the customer is now essentially buying the phone and the company isn't paying towards the tab anymore? I'm on the old system, but quite curious as to the difference... it doesn't seem like a better system, but perhaps the plans are cheaper, to compensate?

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sounds like you don't need an explanation. You got everything right. The new plans supposedly include a discount because you're essentially buying the phone outright. Customers are now allowed to finance (interest free) up to 500$ towards a new phone. (360$ for normal tab) and pay it back over 24 months. Current customers on the old tab must pay off existing tabs to take advantage of these new plans. You can also keep your plan and just continue the way you were. Nothing changes until you buy (finance) another device from Koodo.
Chad Burr wrote:

Sounds like you don't need an explanation. You got everything right. The new plans supposedly i...

that is NOT totally true.  I have an old plan... paid off my phone, got a new phone but can Not take advantage of the new plan UNLESS I pay it off AGAIN, and I believe give up the small tab status.   SO they make it sound good but there is definitely catches to it.  I want a higher / better plan to suite my needs but I'm not willing to pay off the phone again (less then 1 yr since last paid off and new phone added)
The new tab is car payment style now and your guaranteed to have paid the tab within 2 year (24 months) or what Koodo specifies. For example the LG G3 is $50 if you pay an extra $15 a month on your plan for 24 months. The extra $15 a month for 24 months is a pays a total of $360 toward your tab which pays your phone off entirely. [b]AND REMEMBER YOU CAN SWITCH DEVICES ANYTIME AS LONG AS YOU PAY THE REMAINDER OF YOUR TAB!
The new tab is a complete waste, good job Koodo
Brent Devos wrote:

Agree. Koodo is now passing on costs to their customers. And no the plans are NOT cheaper, they are the same.
Brent Devos wrote:

Koodo also increased the cost of the basic phones, by the way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

Yeah, raising phone prices too was a sneaky move.
Userlevel 1
Brent Devos wrote:

I went to upgrade my phone a couple days ago.  I have been a loyal Koodo customer for 7 years. I have my old phone paid off AND an extra $40 paid towards a new phone., and now they are telling me that if I want to upgrade, it's going to cost me almost $100 to get a new phone with a monthly payment of $24 towards the new phone , or if I pay $290 my monthly payment is $15 towards the phone.  I have an unlimited plan for $60 a month, and now they say I can't keep that plan because it's old 😞  I guess I will just keep my current phone so I can keep the lower monthly bill and my unlimited everything!!  For the first time in 7 years...I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH KOODO

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

You do not need to loose your plan unless you're using tab plus to finance the upgrade. Period,end of story. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

Do you only wear Canadian clothes? Buy canadian foods? Shop at only Canadian stores? Koodo stopped carrying it because sales were too low. Trust me if they made money they would carry it. I mean why should a carrier carry a phone just because it's canadian when no one buys it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

And it was BlackBerry that dropped the BIS requirement and some of the old BIS packages just aren't compatible with BlackBerry 10. I love how you blame the carrier for something completely out of their control. Sent from my Z30 in my Volvo, in my shirt from Pakistan and my jeans made in Laos.and my shoes made in China.
Userlevel 1
Brent Devos wrote:

I had a very lengthy conversation with a manager at Koodo today.  I have an old plan...2G of data and unlimited everything else for $60 a month.  I have been a customer for over 7 years, in no way are any of the new packages close to mine in price nor services. Even the manager was agreeing with what I was saying based on the great rate I currently have.  To keep myself and my entire family as customers...the manager managed to give me an increased Tab along with keeping my current rate! Thanks for your input
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

What do you mean by increased tab?
Brent Devos wrote:

I had this debate with my local store long ago. The tab like all plans with all companies was just a trick with math. But... with the old plan 10% of my monthly went to paying my bill until paid and then became a savings account for the next phone which based on the quality of phones these days was inevitable. Now my tab is 0 so my bill has increased by 10% with no benefit to me. To get a new phone which I need just because the battery is toast and the charger contacts are worn I need to pay even more.
The advice from my local store- change providers. Koodo- make me happy 😞
Nothing good for the customer with the new Tab!!! Neither the plans, nor the phones are cheaper. They are more expensive now. The customer just has to pay more. Before this change you paid nothing for the phone, if you stay with Koodo, being loyal customer until the balance reaches zero. Now, you pay for the phone with every month added amount to the bill, plus HST.  And, unfortunately, this is not the only change that adds to your bill.
Userlevel 7
Quite honestly, I don't see that big of a difference. Now, instead of a 10% contribution, plans were lowered by 10%. You were really paying for the phone yourselve's all along, just now you see it as "Koodo dosn't pay i do it all myself". The old tab system just put the cost on your plans. So in the end its the same, less hidden stuff more visible stuff and more control.
Mathieu wrote:

Quite honestly, I don't see that big of a difference. Now, instead of a 10% contribution, plans w...

Completely agree! Koodo is all about "no hidden fees". They are just trying to do more to back up their motto by taking the Subsidy cost that they included in the plan before (and most every other provider still does) by taking that Subsidy cost and separating it from the plan so you can visually see this fee on your bill. This is why most providers have 2 different tiered plans as well because if the full phone cost is under $500 or so dollars you are paying for a cheaper plan because you got a cheaper phone. If the full phone cost is over the $500 you have to be on a more expensive premium type plan for your more expensive phone. Koodo is just showing the phone cost to you that other providers build into the plan cost.
Mathieu wrote:

Quite honestly, I don't see that big of a difference. Now, instead of a 10% contribution, plans w...

My plan is not 10% cheeper I just pay an extra fee for the phone I kept my same phone plan when I upgraded because mine was much better then the new ones and cheeper
Mathieu wrote:

if plans are cheaper, how come my plan which ive had for years is $60 and I get 6gb of data, but if i wanted 6gb now it would cost me well over 100$?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Cheaper than the current plans they had when they made the change. No plans in the last 2 years are cheaper than plans from 4 years ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

"plans were lowered by 10%" Are you high or just incredibly stupid, sir?

The $55 MB/SK plan is now $48
That's a 12.7% savings.

As for the other plans, they keep changing so it's hard for me to remember what the saving are. And Koodo did increase the prices of the plans not that long ago so the savings have been muted between when this was launched until now
Brent Devos wrote:

That's one single plan, and I have a 200mb plan that's just $29 a month, where is that value in 2015?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brent Devos wrote:

When did you get that plan? I'm just saying that they did reduce their plans at the time this happened. Then they raised their plan prices a few months after. By a couple bucks
Userlevel 7
Excuse me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The thing I hate the most was that they took away the BYOD discount for those on the old tab and did not want to change.  

Even buying a phone with cash resulted in the loss of your BYOD discount if you had it