Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New Tab Questions

New tab questions. Hey all, With the recent changes to the tab, I've been going through some posts and couldn't locate any information on existing customers on the tab. I keep seeing a 2 year guarantee that the tab will be reduced to zero on the completion of 2 years. What date is used for existing customers already on a tab? The date they signed/upgraded? Is this apply retro actively or only going forward on renewals of the tab? Also why does the Tab M and Tab L require you to pay towards the subsidy of the phone? I thought the whole purpose of getting a subsidy was to get a discounted phone in exchange for remaining with the provider for a certain amount of time. If i got to pay my bill and pay towards my phone, why bother even having a tab? Am i missing something here?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
-You will only get the new features of the new tab when you upgrade to a new device. -The monthly Tab payment helps sustain the 2 year gaurentee and the larger subsidies for the phones. If not the tab would only be limited to the original $150 Tab (which is now the Tab S) -You have the option of buying your phone outright and avoid the tab altogether. The orginal Tab is still there (as Tab S) but with an improved 15% going towards the tab. Only if you require a larger subsidy is there a Tab Payment to offset the large upfront subsidy
Userlevel 3
You can think of the Tab M and Tab L as partially financing your phone rather than a straight subsidy. The Tab L is confusing from this perspective because you must also have a Tab L plan. A number of us are also asking what is the point in having a tab and my current thinking is the benefit is the 15% payment Koodo gives you each month. The larger tabs allow for people to get a new phone and pay less up front by paying more each month. Of course it didn't help phone prices mostly went up with the new system. I'm currently on the old system so my Tab reduces by 10% of my bill each month and is not cleared at the two year point. I feel, however, that my plan is better than what is available now and I don't need a new phone right now. I understand if I get a new phone I can keep my old plan and move to the new 15% tab, but I won't know for sure if this works until after it is done ... Doh.
wow talk about complicating a simple tab concept. Certain plans for TAB L, increased tab percentage but also increased phone prices etc. I think Fido's changes were the best so far. You could get a Sony Android phone for $30 ($295 subsidized). After 24 months it's 0. That works out to being $12.29 off the phone every month and you could be on a $40 dollar plan. With these Koodo changes, i could get a tab M and apply $300 towards the phone, but even at a $60 plan, that only works out to be $9 off the phone per month plus i gotta front $5 of my own money every month. I hope they take this back to the drawing board.
Userlevel 2
Mark Tucci wrote:

wow talk about complicating a simple tab concept. Certain plans for TAB L, increased tab percenta...

It's certainly a lot clearer at Fido, and their plans & device prices seem to be better as a whole at this point. Few years ago you could make a decent argument for Koodo being the best provider in Canada, now it's almost too easy to make an argument that they're possibly the worst.
Userlevel 3
Mark Tucci wrote:

wow talk about complicating a simple tab concept. Certain plans for TAB L, increased tab percenta...

There's three other providers who seem to have a pretty good lead on worst ...
Userlevel 2
Mark Tucci wrote:

Yet for about the same price they offer access to a ton of premium services and if you want a subsidized device, it doesn't come with an additional monthly fee...
Userlevel 3
It makes me wonder why your Tab isn't just limited by 15% of your monthly bill times the 24 months. So if you have a $30 monthly plan then your tab limit would be $4.50 * 24 = $108. If you change to a lesser plan then you pay what is over the new tab limit (although $30 is the minimum plan now). Either way it reaches zero at two years. That being said I like Topper's idea in another thread better of dividing the phone subsidy by 24 and adding it to your bill, provided Koodo lowers their monthly plan rates. So if you get $240 off your phone then you pay $10 towards your phone each month plus the monthly plan (say maybe starting at $15?). I think either of these would have been simpler to understand. Of course I'm also happy with no subsidy for a phone if it makes the plans more competitive. I.e. make me pay for the phone up front but give me 15% off the plan. Right now Koodo will do that but only at 10% for BYOD.