Koodo Community

New Tab payout policy.

• 31 August 2019
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 3
I know Koodo has been getting ripped off by people buying a phone cheap on tab then cancelling the account and taking the phone. Or, every 90 days they pay out their tab and buy their friends a phone cheap on tab. I have to say the new policy of making accounts pay out the prorated value of the phone if they pay the tab out early really sucks. My wife dropped her phone in the lake last weekend. In a couple of months, she will find a new way to trash the S9 I just got her. Then, I will have to hit eBay for a new phone. There has to be a better way. Maybe they could charge the prorated retail value of the phone if the account is closed before the tab runs out in two years. Or, if you give back your old phone, you can get a new one on tab. Neither of these would help my wife since she dropped her phone in the lake but maybe you could get one lost phone for every year you have had your account at Koodo. We have 4 phones at Koodo so this isn't asking much. Anyway, I wouldn't be with anyone else and it's a shame the scammers have ruined a good policy.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I agree or at the least they should have kept the plan threshold of tabs stay the same so the medium Tab was available still for plans $40 plus then it would at least help pay for the phone. Like I was ready to upgrade only to find out I don't just have to pay off the $120 remaining on my tab but also another $120 upfront or have to change plans or buy outright and $240 is a massive difference for most ppl than justifying the $120 the upgrade would have cost out of pocket. There needs to be a different way to deter the theives than these latest ways that screw us all
You know you can get an insurance policy, now, right? It depends on the phone how much it'll cost to replace it if something happens but it's cheaper than paying it the tab+proration/ buying a new one. It's been around for at least a year now, though you gave to go to a physical location to get it. I think they have to confirm visually that your phone isn't already broken when you get it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You know you can get an insurance policy, now, right? It depends on the phone how much it'll cost to replace it if something happens but it's cheaper than paying it the tab+proration/ buying a new one. It's been around for at least a year now, though you gave to go to a physical location to get it. I think they have to confirm visually that your phone isn't already broken when you get it.
Applecare/koodo protection plan has been around before this change happened.
For the S9 its $9/month and then a $200 replacement fee, or if you have a iBreakuFix location close by, they will offer some cheaper repairs rates for you.
Applecare/koodo protection plan has been around before this change happened.
For the S9 its $9/month and then a $200 replacement fee...

I'm sure it's just the inflection I'm missing but it reads like you were trying to correct me even though we're saying the same thing.
Userlevel 5
So, to be clear:
Buy new phone every 3 months for your friends = bad, Koodo is getting ripped off
Break current phone and buy new phone every few months = good, Koodo should bear the costs
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So, to be clear:
Buy new phone every 3 months for your friends = bad, Koodo is getting ripped off
Break current phone and buy new phone every few months = good, Koodo should bear the costs

With Koodo's markup prices, "costs" isn't the term I'd use ;)

I know it's all about profit, profit, profit, but I honestly long for the days when the providers allowed you to buy a phone outright for a reasonable price (small profit for the provider), or on an honest tab system without all this credit & bonus stuff to muddy the water further and further.

What was wrong with the old system where you could pay off your tab at any moment and the provider STILL got the full profit of selling the phone?

Unfortunately providers are not even coy about being greedy any longer... and no place to go since there isn't any real competition either.
Userlevel 5
Well, if I complain, Koodo Rep in Charge can't handle criticism and deletes my comment.
So with this new policy and for users who will stay as Koodo customer,

How often can we upgrade to new device without paying back any credits? (providing that tab is paid off already)?
Surely Koodo isn't forcing us to use same phone for minimum of 24 months, are they?

I wish Koodo would allow to have 12 month tab period option as well. Make people keep the plan for minimum of full 12 months before they would need to pay back the credit fund.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How often can we upgrade to new device without paying back any credits? (providing that tab is paid off already)?
Surely Koodo isn't forcing us to use same phone for minimum of 24 months, are they?

I wish Koodo would allow to have 12 month tab period option as well. Make people keep the plan for minimum of full 12 months before they would need to pay back the credit fund.

It indeed would be a 24 month wait if you wish to not pay back any phone credits.

It indeed would be a 24 month wait if you wish to not pay back any phone credits.

WOW, this new policy is extremely disappointing for the customers. Koodo is basically FORCING existing customers who buy any device with credit discount to keep that phone for minimum of 24 months?
So no monthly contract is only for BYOD customers, I really hope Koodo will reduce this to 12 months to allow existing customer to upgrade. Customers who need to replace would be paying a HUGE penalty now, spend month for replacement device & pay back prorated credit.

With this new policy, I have absolutely no reason to buy device from Koodo anymore.
Userlevel 5
FYI, phones do not actually cost $0. You are not paying a penalty when you cancel. You are paying back the discount Koodo gave you when you promised to stay with them for 2 years. You are free to pay $1000 to Apple or Samsung and not sign a 2 year contract with Koodo. I guess some people forgot that we used to have 3 year contracts in Canada just a few years ago.
Wow, I was told at 2 different Koodo stores, 2 different Bestbuys, and I talked to 2 different Reps for Koodo that say you can upgrade after 3 months and paying off your tab. Guess I am getting lied to. I still hav'nt taken used my phone (I upgraded on Aug 31), so could I just return it? I mean I would of got the "Iphone xr" if I knew I was gonna get stuck with the phone I chose (Samsung a70) for 2 years?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wow, I was told at 2 different Koodo stores, 2 different Bestbuys, and I talked to 2 different Reps for Koodo that say you can upgrade after 3 months and paying off your tab. Guess I am getting lied to. I still hav'nt taken used my phone (I upgraded on Aug 31), so could I just return it? I mean I would of got the "Iphone xr" if I knew I was gonna get stuck with the phone I chose (Samsung a70) for 2 years?!
When did you speak to reps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I mean, they're not wrong I guess. After 90 days you can pay off your tab so that it's not there anymore.
As well at any time you can pay off your tab while purchasing a new phone.
Just now when you get the new phone before the 24 months is over, you will pay back your remaining tab balance + remaining credits.
Userlevel 4

Yes you can definitely return it within 15 days and choose the phone you want.

Wow, I was told at 2 different Koodo stores, 2 different Bestbuys, and I talked to 2 different Reps for Koodo that say you can upgrade after 3 months and paying off your tab. Guess I am getting lied to. I still hav'nt taken used my phone (I upgraded on Aug 31), so could I just return it? I mean I would of got the "Iphone xr" if I knew I was gonna get stuck with the phone I chose (Samsung a70) for 2 years?!When did you speak to reps?

I spoke to one on Aug 29, and one on Aug 30. They told me all I had to do was "pay my tab in 90 days to upgrade," no mention of also paying back remaining credits. The reps I spoke to said that only applyed to "cancellations." I'm gonna call tommorow and see what a 3rd Rep has to say because there is lying going on here or they are also clueless to the vagueness of the new policies in place.

Wow, I was told at 2 different Koodo stores, 2 different Bestbuys, and I talked to 2 different Reps for Koodo that say you can upgrade after 3 months and paying off your tab. Guess I am getting lied to. I still hav'nt taken used my phone (I upgraded on Aug 31), so could I just return it? I mean I would of got the "Iphone xr" if I knew I was gonna get stuck with the phone I chose (Samsung a70) for 2 years?!When did you speak to reps?
I spoke to one on Aug 29, and one on Aug 30. They told me all I had to do was "pay my tab in 90 days to upgrade," no mention of also paying back remaining credits. The reps I spoke to said that only applyed to "cancellations." I'm gonna call tommorow and see what a 3rd Rep has to say because there is lying going on here or they are also clueless to the vagueness of the new policies in place.

I'm just a little pissed if that is the case. The a lure of a Best buy gift card really made my decision for me. But if i knew with certainty of these new polices I would of just spent the $120 on the Iphone xr.😡
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think you asked the wrong questions. Did you ask when you could payoff and get the new phone? Then the answer were 3 months. If you asked how much you would have to pay, the answers should be clear.

Anyway, the detail of tab and phone credit should be shown in your aggrement (you should be asked to initial it). I would suggest you check it. The new policy started from Aug 25.
Userlevel 5
  • Read the contract you initialed and signed.
  • Return the phone before September 14.
  • Never believe sales reps.
  • would have*
  • would have*

The contract states: When can I upgrade my phone?
You can upgrade to a new phone anytime, if you're in good credit standing, and pay off your current Tab balance and "phone credit balance.

Humm when I go on the koodo site to attempt to pay my Tab balance it tells me I have to wait 3 months? That goes against what the above states: "You can upgrade to a new phone anytime." I just got off the phone with a koodo rep ( the 3rd one since Aug 29) and she had to consult with her team leader and said she had to call me back. She called back and said "yes you would have to pay back the credits as well as the tab. Seems to me the Koodo rep are just as clueless about these new polices as everyone else.

Im taking the phone back and refunding my $. I'll wait till black friday or boxing day.

☹
Userlevel 5
I think all Koodo did was change a few sentences on the contract and on the website, and their billing system probably is not even advanced enough to charge back phone credits yet, but I am not going to test this theory in case they somehow did something extraordinary for themselves.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

• would have*

The contract states: When can I upgrade my phone?
You can upgrade to a new phone anytime, if you're in good credit standing, and pay off your current Tab balance and "phone credit balance.

Humm when I go on the koodo site to attempt to pay my Tab balance it tells me I have to wait 3 months? That goes against what the above states: "You can upgrade to a new phone anytime." I just got off the phone with a koodo rep ( the 3rd one since Aug 29) and she had to consult with her team leader and said she had to call me back. She called back and said "yes you would have to pay back the credits as well as the tab. Seems to me the Koodo rep are just as clueless about these new polices as everyone else.

Im taking the phone back and refunding my $. I'll wait till black friday or boxing day.

☹

If you go into a store or go to buy a new phone online itll let you pay off your tab balance right away.
You cant however pay off your tab without buying a new phone until 90 days have past.
The way I see it, if you plan to stay with Koodo for two years (because you have a good rate plan, family uses it, whatever the reason) then it's not too big of a deal... except for the fact that long term no-problem legacy customers like me have very little reason to upgrade to anything but a brand new model; the incentive to buy an older but still decent phone is gone.

Right now there are several last-year models (Huawei P20 Pro, Galaxy S9, Pixel 3, LG G7 ThinQ) all for $0 on a Medium Tab. Ok, not bad deals for sure... but these models will be noticeably outdated within a year and may not get legacy support for security updates, OS upgrades, etc., which are serious issues these days.

Again, I can forgive that if the unit is reasonably priced... but the retail value for all of these models, aside from the LG ($520) list at between $1050-$1125. So, if I want to upgrade next year, the prorated balance will still be around $650-$800?? For a 2018 phone? Does Koodo not see the problem with this? As other commentators have noted, what if I drop my phone? What if it dies after the warranty runs out? What if my dream phone comes out next year at a good price?

Some commentators have also noted that Koodo reps themselves are a bit unsure about the policy, and may waive the fee for long-term customer; however, if it's not official policy then I absolutely cannot trust that assumption.

If Koodo still offered renewal bonuses then it would offset this cost somewhat and make it more palatable, but they stopped doing this as well. At the moment, I see no point to upgrade (unless a brand new model goes on a decent sale). it's like the good ol' days where you're locked into a contract and have to pay to get out.
I'm still getting monthly security updates for my S8. I automatically got the update to the newest OS.
The way I see it, if you plan to stay with Koodo for two years (because you have a good rate plan, family uses it, whatever the reason) then it's not too big of a deal... except for the fact that long term no-problem legacy customers like me have very little reason to upgrade to anything but a brand new model; the incentive to buy an older but still decent phone is gone.

Right now there are several last-year models (Huawei P20 Pro, Galaxy S9, Pixel 3, LG G7 ThinQ) all for $0 on a Medium Tab. Ok, not bad deals for sure... but these models will be noticeably outdated within a year and may not get legacy support for security updates, OS upgrades, etc., which are serious issues these days.

Again, I can forgive that if the unit is reasonably priced... but the retail value for all of these models, aside from the LG ($520) list at between $1050-$1125. So, if I want to upgrade next year, the prorated balance will still be around $650-$800?? For a 2018 phone? Does Koodo not see the problem with this? As other commentators have noted, what if I drop my phone? What if it dies after the warranty runs out? What if my dream phone comes out next year at a good price?

Some commentators have also noted that Koodo reps themselves are a bit unsure about the policy, and may waive the fee for long-term customer; however, if it's not official policy then I absolutely cannot trust that assumption.

If Koodo still offered renewal bonuses then it would offset this cost somewhat and make it more palatable, but they stopped doing this as well. At the moment, I see no point to upgrade (unless a brand new model goes on a decent sale). it's like the good ol' days where you're locked into a contract and have to pay to get out.

Should add that the Tab policy change isn't only related to buying older model phones, but is an issue for all but the cheapest phones. I understand that Koodo was getting ripped off by unscrupulous, greedy people, but there were multiple ways of addressing people gaming the system/churning phones (the blacklist, limiting upgrades to one per person every 3-6 months, and probably a lot more); simply adjusting their policy to come in line with other providers solves one issue, but I have less incentive to commit now when other, viable options become available.

Personally, I will stay with Koodo for now because of the value of my rate plan, but the incentive to consider plans/deals with other providers is now a reality, instead of me trying to convince people to switch to Koodo (especially when I don't want to switch my plan, but may be forced to in order to get a more current phone that is only on a Tab Large or higher). Others will feel the same way, I'm sure.