Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New tab has no redeeming qualities..?


I'm very confused as to how the new tab is supposed to be 'more transparent'? I have a very old phone so I was planning on getting a new one, but now apparently Koodo's tab doesn't subsidize the cost of the phone at all and I'm going to have to pay an additional 15$ per month on top of my plan to get a different phone until I've paid the full new phone's upfront price... I mean, that's not a subsidy, that's just a payment plan. What the heck, that was Koodo's entire market appeal? Plus I've read that if I get a new phone I won't be able to keep my old plan anyway? Is that true?

27 replies

Userlevel 3
Yes unfortunately that is true, when you upgrade you will have to change your monthly plan. The old plans are based on the old tab system so they can no longer be used when getting a new phone (unless bought outright). Basically all the "tab" is now is an interest free loan. Which really sucks as I'd rather get $150 (rather then $360) off the cost of a phone as it was actually paid by Koodo, not the customer over 2 years.
Userlevel 7
Andrew wrote:

Yes unfortunately that is true, when you upgrade you will have to change your monthly plan. The o...

I'm sorry that's not true, you can keep your plan unless you're using tab plus.
Userlevel 3
Andrew wrote:

Yes unfortunately that is true, when you upgrade you will have to change your monthly plan. The o...

That's what I was told by sales staff when I recently tried to upgrade my phone on the regular tab.
Userlevel 5
Andrew wrote:

Yes unfortunately that is true, when you upgrade you will have to change your monthly plan. The o...

You should screen shot this page, to include Yannick reply and head back to the person that provided you with incorrect information. These Masters and Employees, really are the Pros.
Huh... sticking with Koodo has seemed a no brainer for years, but I know that Wind still offers a tab really similar to the old Koodo one. Maybe it's time to switch. 😕 Honestly, I'm really disappointed that Koodo seems to not have any interest in retaining loyal Koodo customers. I've never had a phone on anything but Koodo, but I can't justify having to get a more expensive plan AND pay the 15$ per month fee just to stick with the company. I can't even just forgo a new phone and stick to the status quo; my old galaxy ace crashes any time I open an app, so I don't think I have any choice but to upgrade.
Userlevel 6
Emily Jefferson wrote:

Huh... sticking with Koodo has seemed a no brainer for years, but I know that Wind still offers a...

the issue with Wind is their coverage.  If I was to go with Wind, I'd be paying roaming fees to use my phone at home and where I work.  Not worth the savings to me.
Userlevel 2
I'm not savvy on this topic. However, the last thing I heard was that there was now an automatic retiring of the loan after two years? So, one pays the tab for two years and owns the phone outright? Not sure if I am missing something or if things have changed once again. Would like to know more as I have been recommending Koodo to a friend who wants to buy into the smart phone thing.
Userlevel 6
frananddave wrote:

I'm not savvy on this topic. However, the last thing I heard was that there was now an automatic ...

That's correct, after 24 months the Tab Balance would be paid off.
Userlevel 5
frananddave wrote:

I'm not savvy on this topic. However, the last thing I heard was that there was now an automatic ...

And at that point,  after TAB is paid off,  you would own the phone.
Yes, because after 24 months you've paid what Koodo lists as the retail price. So yes, you own it, but there's no difference in price compared to if you just paid for the phone in full at the get-go. The loan doesn't 'retire', you've simply paid it back.
Userlevel 2
Emily Jefferson wrote:

Yes, because after 24 months you've paid what Koodo lists as the retail price. So yes, you own i...

Oh! I didn't know that. Even if you choose the least expensive plan? I was told that it would be retired after 2 years regardless of how much of the tab had been paid.
Userlevel 1
Emily Jefferson wrote:

Yes, because after 24 months you've paid what Koodo lists as the retail price. So yes, you own i...

You can keep your old plan if you buy a phone outright. You are right, koodo has gone down the financing path but if you think about it one of the good things about it is after 2 years your total bill will drop, while all the other carriers will continue to charge you the same. Regardless of who you look at phone companies built in subsidy cost in your plan. Say you look at virgin or fido or whoever and take plan for about $60. Even after 2 year when you paid off your phone your plan stays at $60. If I understand correctly with koodo the $15 or whatever you took is gone and your total cost for you bill is now $45. That's I understand this anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Emily Jefferson wrote:

Yes, because after 24 months you've paid what Koodo lists as the retail price. So yes, you own i...

Yep your correct Rory, once you pay off your phone in full your bill will drop down by the amount your were paying each month for your tab.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The prices of the plans have dropped if you haven't noticed and it's because the subsidy and BYOD discounts are now built in to the price of the plans. Check out the competition and they word it differently but end result on what you pay is the same. So it might look like your getting a subsidized phone with others but the plans are more expensive so nomatter where you go you'll be paying the same amount the only difference is the phones they offer now. Welcome to no competition in Canada
Userlevel 3
My understanding is you can keep you old plan and upgrade your phone by buying an unlocked phone outside of Koodo. Eg. Buy an unlocked iPhone from the Apple Store and put your Koodo SIM in it. Unfortunately, this is a rather expensive option and requires you to pay the full cost of the phone upfront. I actually like the idea of cheaper plans without a tab subsidy. I'm meh on the finance your phone over two years, but I guess people wouldn't choose Koodo if they have to buy the phone outright. But I would rather the plans get a little better in price; my grandfathered Koodo plan is a little cheaper with better data options (especially overage) and Koodo pays 15% of the tab. So I like the new system, but not the new settings.
Userlevel 7
You can keep your plan and upgrade the phone too; it doesn't have to be bought outright. However, yes, the new Tab sucks if you're keeping your old plan since it's going to be more expensive no matter what. Paul's right, though, in that the competition isn't any better because they just pile the subsidy into the plan. Good luck on your decision on what to do, my friend.
Userlevel 6
Hi there, I just want to make it clear that, as Jonathan said, you can definitely upgrade your phone and use the new Tab while keeping your old plan. Thank you! 
Userlevel 3
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, I just want to make it clear that, as Jonathan said, you can definitely upgrade your ph...

Thanks Jonathan and Yannick. That's different than what I had heard initially, but there was some confusion when the new tab was introduced. Nice to know you can keep your old plan when upgrading your phone on the tab.
Userlevel 3
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, I just want to make it clear that, as Jonathan said, you can definitely upgrade your ph...

So you can keep your old plan on upgrade, that's good to know. I was told I'd have to change my plan when I tried to upgrade my phone two weeks ago. This was at a bestbuy store an not a Koodo kiosk, perhaps that's why.
Userlevel 7
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, I just want to make it clear that, as Jonathan said, you can definitely upgrade your ph...

Perhaps, but maybe it could have helped you. A Koodo shop might have said the same thing. Most reps want the sale and maintain good rapport with customers so they're not gonna try and screw you over. Did you do the math on getting a new plan + Tab charge, or did you just assume that they were trying to make you pay more? It might have worked out to be the same because the new plans are all BYOD priced. Better make sure before dismissing it.
Userlevel 3
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, I just want to make it clear that, as Jonathan said, you can definitely upgrade your ph...

I'm sure for some people it may work out but for me keeping my current plan is for sure the best option. Even with the $15 tab charge added on I'll still be saving $10/month, so I'm reluctant to pay more per month with no additional benefits .
Userlevel 5
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, I just want to make it clear that, as Jonathan said, you can definitely upgrade your ph...

Good choice. And keep you eyes open for what I call the Koodo Specials. My wife was on unlimited calling and 1g @ $60.00. Now it's unlimited calling and 2g for $58.00. I got that Koodo Deal by going into Mobile Shop, while my wife was shopping.
Userlevel 5
Practice defys Yannicks logic. I have 6g/$60.00 plan and got 2 different versions. First was, "have to buy phone out right or loose plan". Second option, which I currently have, was a " Motto G on small Tab and keep plan". This was just before Koodo changed plans. Koodo then made offer on my second phone. "Pay off $75.00 Tab and receive 1 extra gig data and they knock off $1.00 per month" - which I did. Now back to the first phone 6g/$60.00 per month, after Koodo eliminated, the 3 year plan. It was the same thing. "Cannot put a phone on Tab, without giving up 6g/$60.00 Plan.
Userlevel 7
5s wrote:

Practice defys Yannicks logic. I have 6g/$60.00 plan and got 2 different versions. First was, "h...

Steve, The only time you'd have to change your plan is if you choose to upgrade using Tab Plus which has specific plan requirements. These days "as stated" tabs are more of a no interest finance game. So that would increase your monthly costs depending on how much you finance up to 360$ And before then it was tab medium that had a minimum 30$ plan requirement and tab large that had specific plans.
Userlevel 5
5s wrote:

Practice defys Yannicks logic. I have 6g/$60.00 plan and got 2 different versions. First was, "h...

I understand Chad. But what I was told, is the truth. Specifically, i broke my motto g phone, to "avoid" loosing my 6g/$60.00 plan the new Motto G and new sim card, was applied to my wife's S2x phone number, then transferred back to me. The 6g/$60.00 is the account holder of my wife's phone. So why all the cloak and dagger of going through the secondary account and having to swap out the sim cards ( 2 different sizes) through secondary account, if what I was told is not true?

Reply