Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Need new phone, want to keep old plan and old tab

Hi, I'm a Koodo Customer since 2012. I have the same phone since the beginning and I would like to change to a new one. By now i have a positive tab and 10% of every month's bill goes to increase it. Can I use my positive tab as a discount to buy a new phone while keeping my old plan ? Can I pay the whole amount (minus the positive tab) keep leave the tab at 0$ and have a 10% discount on my current plan? or Can I put the new phone on the old tab (and pay some of the phone's cost immediately I guess), keep refunding my tab by 10% of every bill and keep my old plan ? Thanks

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Yes you can use the positive Tab as a bigger discount off your phone, but the new Tabs are different. You can probably keep the plan but the Tab subsidy has changed. Now it's basically up to a $360 discount/24 months and that's added to your plan cost. If you think the new plans are better for you, they already have the BYOD discount built in, then you just pay the Tab separately if you want one.
Ok but then, if I use the new tab for the new phone, will Koodo give me a 10% discount on my current plan ? And if not, will 10% of my monthly bill still go to refund my tab (on top of the 15$/month I would pay extra). Thanks
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

Ok but then, if I use the new tab for the new phone, will Koodo give me a 10% discount on my curr...

Koodo will not give you a 10% discount on your current plan,as that offer is no longer available. As Jonathan said, your best bet would be to get a new plan that has the discount already in the plan's price.. On the new tabs, Koodo no longer does a contribution towards your tab. The tab only gets lowered with your monthly 15$ tab fee.
David wrote:

Ok but then, if I use the new tab for the new phone, will Koodo give me a 10% discount on my curr...

So let's suppose I buy a phone on the new tab and keep my current plan. My plan, which costs me 45$ a month including a 10% contribution to refund my tab, would still cost me 45$ but would no longer contribute to refill my tab. Regardless how much I pay on top of that to refill my tab, I would be paying more for the same plan.
David wrote:

I don't know why Koodo went down this route 😞 ....basically Koodo is no longer providing discounts once you upgrade to a new phone and continue as a loyal Koodo customer... .   
Userlevel 5
David wrote:

You still get discounts when your upgrading to a new phone, its just the positive tab that's gone. Although are you really a loyal customer if your only around because you liked the discount?
David wrote:

Previous tab system Koodo pays 15% of your monthly bill towards the tab you used to purchase the phone. With the new tab system you pay for the full price of the phone over 24 months but without interest. Koodo is a “discount” carrier of Telus just like Fido for Rogers and Virgin for Bell. But I got to admit the new regular plans are better than the previous regular plans (not the seasonal promotional plans..)
Mark your "loyal customer" comment appears like a guilt trip or bullying. I loved the koodo tab and my plan but I just investigated getting a new phone (after 4 years) and there is no discount on my plan. I will have to pay more than I previously did. The tab is no savings. You pay the same amt up front or over a 2 year period. The question of loyality is what will koodo do for me after 4 years? The answer is...they will increase my rate and charge me full price for the phone. Really...loyalty?
I also have an old plan, ulimited calling and 2G for $60/month, and 10% ($6) of my bill paid the tab. If I want to upgrade my phone it seems like I will have an additional  charge for the tab every month and lose my old $6/month tab subsidy to boot. Sounds like my plan just went up $6 as a result of Koodo's underhanded bait-and-switch scam that they used to take customers from their competitors.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want to upgrade your phone you can with keeping your old plan I think. This is quite new to.me.and I haven't made the switch yet. But from what I remember, yes you will loose the 10% but the price of the new tab you decide to put on your new phone will be devided on a period of 24 months. So bottom line. Nor more 10%. You can keep the same plan no problem
Userlevel 1

When I log into self-serve and select a new phone with no Tab, ie., pay for it up front, the total price is not discounted by the amount of my positive Tab.  The only conclusion I can make from that is the answer to David's question is: No, not only can you not keep your old Tab, you also cannot pay the whole amount less the positive Tab.

I bought my phone outright when I switched to Koodo 4 years ago.  I'm on an old $25 - 150 min talk and text plan.  I don't use data (screen is way to small for my aging eyes, even with readers), have no need for voice mail (if it's that important they'll ring again - call me old fashioned that way), and have only once exceeded my 150 anytime minutes (when my work Blackberry was down briefly).  The closest new plan will cost me $30/month for an additional 50 anytime minutes, 100 MB of data and voice mail - things I wouldn't use anyway.  When I eventually have to upgrade it seems I'll have to put the new phone on a new Tab in order to use up my positive Tab; not sure if that means having to give up my old plan as well, if it does then good-bye Koodo.

Bottom line:  No Tab contribution anymore, no BYOD discount, a price increase. and perhaps a boot to existing subscribers for good measure.  The old Tab was simple and it worked (at least for me), so obviously it had to be changed.

Userlevel 7
dwaveyca wrote:

When I log into self-serve and select a new phone with no Tab, ie., pay for it up front, the to...

Hi,

You are able to use only positive tab balance if you want to. The website and it's features are still being worked on. When you go to a kiosk you can get a new phone using nothing but positive tab balance and pay out the rest of the phone if you don't want a new tab.
Userlevel 1
dwaveyca wrote:

When I log into self-serve and select a new phone with no Tab, ie., pay for it up front, the to...

Thanks for the info Mathieu, good to know that the old Tab isn't a total loss. 

Still wish Koodo hadn't messed with it in the first place.