Koodo Community

Community

Mid-range plan or Family plan

My husband and I each use roughly [b]200-300 MB and 200-300 minutes each month.  So the old 300/300 plan is perfect for each of us.  We happily pay $40 a month each (plus 911 and what have you).  We're on a budget and this fits nicely with some wiggle room.

However, we're looking to upgrade our phones before the year is out (the S3 cannot handle app upgrades like it used to).  It's clear we'll have to go to the new tab and new plans

[b]Not. A. Fan.

We can either pay $30 a month for 100 minutes and 100 MB (definitely [i]not enough) or we can pay $40 a month for 500 minutes and 500 MB ([i]too much!), plus $15 a month to pay for the new phone.  [i][b] $55 each a month for minutes and data we won't use? 

[i]This is what I want to see:

1. A plan that offers roughly 250-400 MB and similar amount of minutes in the $35-$38 range (please note how easy it would be for your associates to upsell this plan "for only $2 more per month, you could get...").  I would gladly get a plan like this and pay the $15 per month for my phone.

2. A family plan where my husband and I can share 450-600 MB of data and a comparable amount of minutes for $65-$70 per month, plus $30 monthly to subsidize the new phones.

These are plans that I would gladly pay into each month.  I see the family plan has also gotten suggested from other customers.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just a note.
You don't have to change your plan when you upgrade your phone unless you use "Tab Plus"

And I agree they should have some in between plan like 300min/300MB 
Mayumi wrote:

Just a note.
You don't have to change your plan when you upgrade your phone unless you use "Tab ...

I agree
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The share plans seem to be reserved for the parent company brands of the flanker brands. Also especially if you're on a budget you want to stay away from tab large. The regular tab will let you keep your current plan Np as Mayumi said. There's a few good options for budget / mid range phones like the Moto E, Moto G, moto x, lg g3. Or the new generation of budget / mid-range phones to come this year as well since you mentioned by end year
Goran wrote:

The share plans seem to be reserved for the parent company brands of the flanker brands. Also...

Oh well it was a thought
Goran wrote:

The share plans seem to be reserved for the parent company brands of the flanker brands. Also...

But some of the suggestions I am reading are certainly food for thought. The new law is you can make your own plan to fit your needs check what is available if nothing fits talk to Koodo they have always helped me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Can you share a link to this 'new law'?

Goran wrote:

I think Kudo is missing a good opportunity to assist families. If they addressed the needs of many families it would be a good marketing strategy which would pay off handsomely in the future. 
Some families would appreciate a plan where they can share data (and minutes) with children and other family members. I know families that use these plans and they are happy to be able to provide young kids with a 'safety' phone at low cost; they are happy to have an element of control over their older children's cell use and the love the simplicity of one plan to administer and pay.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

As I said the parent companies appear to have decided to reserve share plans on their primary brand names (Rogers, Telus, Bell). The "flanker" brands (Fido, Chat-r, Koodo, Public Mobile, Virgin) are all geared for specific use cases.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Oh and theres no additional headaches paying for multiple lines on a single account. It all comes to a single bill when you're paying.
Goran wrote:

Goran: I agree re the 'parent' companies.  I may have to change over.

As I said - . . .  one plan to administer and pay.  Koodo is not alone in their lack of understanding of how administration is a major annoyance.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I have 4 lines under one account includes 2 kids. We all have different plan that suits each of us.  And it's not so hard to manage/monitor all the plans through self serve..

I checked other companies family share plans, but it doesn't save us any money.
They charge about $250-$270/mo for 3-5GB data,unlimited minutes for 4 lines.
With Koodo $250 give you ($70plan:3GB, + 3 x $60:2GB and 1000 min each) 9GB.
This is just a example.
(My family's total is much much lower since some lines are basic plan with data but  it good for us 🙂

I know it seems kind of wasting of your money if you don't use up your minutes or data, and sharing sound great.  My son use a lot of data and he went over his limit ta few times while my husband and I couldn't use up our data and/or minutes.
But they are setting up the price higher to begin with.
So, if you're thinking change the provider, you should calculate and compare the total price and what you will get- minutes,data- with their plan. 

Goran wrote:

Thanks for the comment. I know Kudoo appears cheaper and it is if you can manage it. The problem is data as you mention. Sharing it would save a lot of problems. One point I as trying to make was that Kodoo are missing a perfect marketing tool. My most successful marketing campaigns revolved around reduce advertising and re-routing that money to keeping existing customers. However, as Goran pointed out, the lack of family plans is probably a result of a decision by the 'parent' companies..