Koodo Community

Community

Question

Leaving Koodo

My two year tab is ending in about a month, me and my fiancé are looking to go on shared plan with a different company. My account with Koodo is in my fathers name as I was under 18 when I got my phone but has put me as an administrator. I am just inquiring about the process of leaving Koodo. Does my father have to do if? Do I keep my phone as my tab is over? Is there any fees since my tab is over for cancelling? Anything else I need to know?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Keep your account active, and you can port your number to the new carrier, and they will close the account for you. You will need account number, and (I believe) the PIN to be able to complete the port.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The account owner will have to cancel by calling Koodo. You will get charged for your final bill and your remaining tab balance. You will be able to keep your phone and will pat no extra fee for the tab ending. You will have to unlock your phone though if you choose a company other than Telus or Koodi.
Follow up question: if I don't plan on cancelling till September (6 months after my tab ends) do i get the credit for my positive tab balance ? David: so I go to say Rogers and open a new account under my name it will close my Koodo account? How
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Meagan Elaine Fitzgerald wrote:

Follow up question: if I don't plan on cancelling till September (6 months after my tab ends) do ...

You don't get any credit for a positive tab balance. That balance is to be used on hardware upgrades only. Once you port to Rogers, that Koodo line is cancelled immediately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Follow up question: if I don't plan on cancelling till September (6 months after my tab ends) do ...

Unless on an old plan you will not incur a positive tab balance. As well you will have to tell Rogers you would like to port your number. If you just sign up with Rogers with a new number your Koodo account will not close.

Last question: I have a large tab ($24 a month) how the heck do I not get a credit if there going to keep charging me for it when my tab is up or unless they don't charge me. Especially for 6 months that's $144? I was told when I bought this phone that once the tab was cleared it would build a positive tab towards a new phone. I already know I'm not staying with them or getting a new phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Once your 2 years is up your monthly tab charges end. Tab Large ($21/month) will take $21 off your bill each month. The employee probably referred to the tab charge coming off as a credit on your bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Meagan - depending on who you spoke to and when, there may have been some confusion with our old Tab structure vs the new one.
You're indeed on Tab Large and $21 each month goes towards the cost of your phone. Once your tab is paid off, that $21 charge will completely drop off of your bill -  you won't be charged for that any longer, as Allan points out.

That said, as you look for other options, I'd recommend you weigh out the pros and cons of a shared plan vs individual plans - if you haven't already done so. Depending on your and your fiances usage, it may make better sense to keep two individual lines. If not, TELUS has some great family plan options here as well. 

I have done some looking around towards this and no individual plan can compete with Rogers family share everything. I have been with Koodo for 6 years and recommended several people to you over the years. The prices have just been increasing and the customer service in store and help line have decreased. Although I do appreciate the help today. I will be moving on. Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just curious as to how many people you will have with Rogers and how much data you need per person or in total.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just curious as to how many people you will have with Rogers and how much data you need per person or in total.
Userlevel 6
@OP: Rogers sometimes may have slightly better pricing, but the question is...do they have the phones with the promos you want? Is the phone or the plan itself what's most important?
Btw, congrats on getting engaged! An exciting time to say the least. Mind you, my only suggestion is that you both know your monthly data usage to the T if you're going to put it on a shared plan. If you each want your own separate data plans, you may find cheaper with the other subs (Virgin & Fido) who give 10% off the second line (and the second line can be on a bigger plan and subsidize a more expensive phone).
As mentioned earlier, your line has to be active with Koodo until the port, so you wouldn't cancel with Koodo. Any outstanding tab credits would be flushed out when you port out. Tab credits are like coupons...don't use 'em, then lose 'em.
You should be able to port the number from the Koodo account under a relative's name to a different carrier any time. If the port request is not successful upon activation, you can most likely take a temporary number and port in after the fact.