Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo customers before new changes


I don't have a question but rather a complaint. I have been with koodo for almost 3 years now and I think it is ridiculous that we now have to pay for the phone on a monthly basis unlike before that was in the monthly plan. The monthly plans then were also cheaper and had more things to offer. Now I can't upgrade my phone because I first have to save money so that my phone bill won't be at a crazy price. There should be something in place for customers that have been with them for a long period of time so that this doesn't affect them. I am not impressed and would love to see changes.

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Abby, with the old system, unless you bought the phone at full price, aren't you paying for it every month as well? If you are on a tab, you're paying for it every month. You can upgrade anytime you want and if you have negative tab, you have to pay off your tab and this doesn't change with new system. If you have positive tab that amount goes towards the purchase of your new phone
Userlevel 5
Hey Abby, We would be glad to assist you, however, we cannot access your account on this public forum. You can use this secure link: http://koo.do/11eMLdy to email us so that we can review your account and help you (please select "Social Media" and follow the steps below). • Once you are on the page that says “Authorization required", • Please click on "Authenticate using your Self-Serve log in and then e-mail us • You will be directed to our Self-Serve login page • Once you successfully login, you will be brought back to the page you were before to submit your e-mail. This will help us protect your personal information and give us a chance to provide you with the most accurate information related to your request. We look forward to assisting you! ******************************************** If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Tayeb A wrote:

Hey Abby, We would be glad to assist you, however, we cannot access your account on this publi...

Is there are number I can call instead to talk to you. I don't know if I really trust the internet.
Userlevel 6
Tayeb A wrote:

Hey Abby, We would be glad to assist you, however, we cannot access your account on this publi...

call 611 from your phone
Yes it came off my monthly bill and my tab was negative but they didn't charge me extra. It was included in my monthly plan. Now I would have to pay my normally plan plus $7 - $15 if I want to upgrade which I do but now I have to save first so that my bill will still be the same. If I'm wrong about this and I can still get the phone I want and keep the plan I have with no increase then that's different
Userlevel 6
abby wrote:

Yes it came off my monthly bill and my tab was negative but they didn't charge me extra. It was i...

You can keep your existing plan and get a new phone BUT you need to pay your tab off as part of phone upgrade process. Old system or new system if you want a new phone and and you've got a negative tab balance, you have to pay it off before upgrading thanks to the wireless code of conduct.
abby wrote:

Yes it came off my monthly bill and my tab was negative but they didn't charge me extra. It was i...

Yes I know. I've had my current phone for over 2 years now and I have like $7 left on my tab. But koodo use to be reasonable with prices for plans and phones when you upgrade but I feel like they have gone beyond and I have started to look for other phone company's.
Userlevel 6
abby wrote:

Yes it came off my monthly bill and my tab was negative but they didn't charge me extra. It was i...

Like anything you buy (car, house and so on) do the math before you take the plunge!
I have a 55$ plan with unlimited everything and 3Go data. I want a new phone so im looking for a galaxy S5. If i stay with koodo the phone is gonna cost me 275$ and my plan will now be 70$/month because of the new tab that add 15$/month.

If I go with videotron and regroup all my services I can gen the S5 for 100$ and a plan with unlimited everything with 6Go of data for the same 70$. Plus they upgrade my home internet.

Looks like its gonna be the end of koodo for me....
Userlevel 5
I don't really understand all the people mentioning that Koodo didn't make you pay for the phone before. They did, that extra money was just nestled away in your monthly plan price. Now the monthly plan prices dropped a bit, and the tab charge is bigger. All they did was move the money from one bucket into another. I think one of the biggest problems is that people have always believed their phones were free and that the carriers were giving them away. I think the new system does a better job trying to create value in handsets, if you don't want to pay as big a bill....maybe you don't need the S5 and the S4 would work fine for you.
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I don't really understand all the people mentioning that Koodo didn't make you pay for the phone ...

I agree with the fact that we've always paid for our phones through our plans, but I disagree with you on the prices of the monthly packages dropping. To keep a package competitive with what I have now, I'd have to pay the same base plan price that I've been paying all along, but then add an additional tab charge of up to $15/month on top of that. Essentially, this is just financing my phone, I know, but it does mean that the cost of the packages has increased. So it leaves me with the choice of saving the money on my own before making a purchase or paying it off over time through tab charges on my bill. I know it's my choice, but I had been saving money for an upgrade to a more expensive phone this summer based on the old tab method. Now, I either have to settle for a cheaper phone or save for even longer to be able to pay outright for my phone because I don't want to pay that much more per month for what I have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I don't really understand all the people mentioning that Koodo didn't make you pay for the phone ...

Sarah, over what period of time are you comparing prices? If you are comparing to the plan you negotiated 2 or 3 years ago, the current prices may well be higher, but to my recollection (not always a sure thing) the prices posted today are cheaper for equivalent service to prices on April 18.
Userlevel 5
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I don't really understand all the people mentioning that Koodo didn't make you pay for the phone ...

dfbutt is bang on, the prices I am comparing to are the ones that were available 2 days before everything changed. You cant really compare old promo plans to new stuff, but at least you have the choice to keep the plan if its rich enough and makes sense. Other carriers don't even give you that choice, usually your forced to pick a new plan.
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I don't really understand all the people mentioning that Koodo didn't make you pay for the phone ...

I'm comparing the prices to the "no tab" prices I was looking at a couple months ago when I activated a cell phone for my daughter. Some are the same, but not all of them. With the new tab charge, many of them actually result in an increase per month (considering if they weren't "no tab"). Particularly the smaller packages.
I am happy to say koodo has read my complaint and did their best to accommodate my needs. They really love their customers and want them to be satisfied and happy. Thank you for your support.
The plan I have is 55$. Before koodo was using 15% of my bill to repay my balance. So really we can say that my plan is 15% more expensive than what it really costs because lets be honest, Koodo is not giving me that 15%, I pay it. If I wanted a new phone i got a new balance and stil pay the 15%. Now if I want a new phone, that 15% that I pay extra (theoritically) is not used to pay the phone and I have to put an extra 15$ a month on top of it and even pay more money for the same phone compared to another provider that gives me more data for the same price.
Userlevel 6
Dany Tetu wrote:

The plan I have is 55$. Before koodo was using 15% of my bill to repay my balance. So really we c...

Not exactly. With the new system, they reduced rate plans so you get the savings there instead. After 24 months the tab charge drops and so you save then too
look at the plans and tell me how much for unlimited everything +3Go of data. What I see is 73$ + 15$ I pay 55$ for unlimited everything +3Go So the plans aren't cheaper
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dany Tetu wrote:

look at the plans and tell me how much for unlimited everything +3Go of data. What I see is 73$...

This is really an invalid comparison. You should be comparing available plans on April 18 to those today, not a plan you successfully negotiated some greater time in the past, or obtained on a past promotion.
Still my point is that for 70$ a month (because I regroup my services with cable and internet, normally 85$) I get a 6go data plan and the same phone at 100$. With koodo the plan that is the closest is only 5Go at 88$+15$ with the phone at 275$

Reply