Koodo Community
Solved

It's possible to buy a phone at full price if you have a tab?

• 1 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

My wife and myself, we are customers with Koodo.

My wife got the LG G8X last November and she is still paying the tab monthly.

That phone is broken accidentally. Fortunately she was paying the monthly bill with a credit card that provides her an accidental insurance on the phone.

She sent a claim to her insurance company and they approved for her a certain amount to buy a new phone.

She decided to get the LG V60.

The issue: my wife wants to buy that phone with the full retail price $1,100 from Koodo without affecting her current tab or her current plan. Can she do that?

If she can't, how she can get this phone? It's not sold at amazon or any other reputable vendor?

icon

Best answer by Dinh 1 August 2020, 08:03

Koodo doesn't sell phone without an attached plan. If you want to get another phone without affecting your Tab and plan, you have to open a new line (a BYOD plan) and get the phone at retail price. After the phone arrive, you contact Koodo and ask a rep to cancel the line and keep the phone. You might have to pay for a few days of service with that plan. 

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo doesn't sell phone without an attached plan. If you want to get another phone without affecting your Tab and plan, you have to open a new line (a BYOD plan) and get the phone at retail price. After the phone arrive, you contact Koodo and ask a rep to cancel the line and keep the phone. You might have to pay for a few days of service with that plan. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks Dinh for your answer. I have 2 questions:

1- If I do so, should i order a new line in the same account or a opening a new amount?

2- Will my credit score get a hit?

Userlevel 2

1- If I do so, should i order a new line in the same account or a opening a new amount?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1. Ordering with the same account is better as you can avoid the credit check (2). If you open a new line a credit check will be required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would avoid all that hassle and just buy a phone from a third party, or from the manufacturer of possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What credit card do you have with that accidental phone insurance?  Usually more credit card assurance programs requires the phone to be purchase entirely for it to qualify.