Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is there any advantage to pay a new phone upfront versus putting it in my tab?

I am currently not a customer and I am considering signing up and buying an HTC One M8 on a Canada-wide $40 plan ($55 total per month). My question is, would there be any savings if I buy the phone in full upfront vs just putting it in my tab? I know the tab doesn't incur interests but there surely must be an incentive for paying from my pocket instead of koodo's. Is that not the case??

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi there, I believe it is the same either way since the phone outright is 360 and the 15$ tab x 24 months also equals 360.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

Hi there, I believe it is the same either way since the phone outright is 360 and the 15$ tab x ...

The advantage is a 40$ bill each month vs a 55$ bill each month for 24 months. ;
Daniel Kim wrote:

Hi there, I believe it is the same either way since the phone outright is 360 and the 15$ tab x ...

Chad, it's just a "delayed spenditure", overall you are not paying less (or more). But that's exactly my question, is there really no advantage to paying it all from my pocket? that would be unusual
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

There is no advantage to using a tab other than it's an interest free loan. Sometimes there are free.gifts if you use the tab. I got a 100$ best buy.gift card with the Moto X
Daniel Kim wrote:

Chad, i think the interest free loan is a great advantage, but my question is more the advantage of NOT using the tab, in which case i am using my money and not koodo's to buy my phone. there's less risk for the company etc so I would expect there would be an advantage for not using the tab. But for sure the advantage of using it is a great one. Anyway, I understand now that there's no difference in terms of total, final amount. Thank you guys
Userlevel 6
Daniel Kim wrote:

Simple answer: No advantage at all.
Userlevel 5
But that's tab retail, is it not?
5s wrote:

But that's tab retail, is it not?

i don't know what's tab retail. Can you elaborate?
Userlevel 2
Hi Hello-World 🙂

It would be the same thing if you buy full price or with tab but people prefer to have tab to avoid paying a lot upfront and finance the phone instead. The amount you didn't pay in the beginning is divided in 24 months (2-year agreement) and that's what you will pay monthly on top of the plan.