Koodo Community

Community

I think the new choices Koodo has for tabs is wonderful. Plus you still don't have "contracts." Good job Koodo.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
I love the fact that - most people don't realize this - unlike everyone else, your subsidy is paid off after 24 months OR LESS (starting around the $45 mark on Small Tab), whereas with a 2 year agreement, even if every carrier got rid of contracts and are utilizing a device subsidy system, it's still fixed at 24 months. Koodo actually made a smart move with the new Tabs. Medium Tab is honestly the best thing for new activation customers or existing clients on $30+ plans. Existing customers looking to upgrade to something priced in the $300 to $400 range (iPhone 4, Nexus 4, even the S III has come down) and are on a grandfathered $25 plan may want to weigh their options a bit more...
so true...
Userlevel 2
Actually, it's still a contract. Maybe not a fixed term contract, but it's still a contract regardless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

Actually, it's still a contract. Maybe not a fixed term contract, but it's still a contract regar...

For a lot of people, it defaults to a fixed-term 24 month contract, as their monthly contribution won't pay it off the tab in 24 months.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

Actually, it's still a contract. Maybe not a fixed term contract, but it's still a contract regar...

It doesn't matter if it defaults to a 24 month, 48 month or w/e. A contract is still a contract, regardless of how "long" it is. I can understand why people will automatically assume, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a contract.
Userlevel 7
Thank you Myke! I dislike it when people try and use a 'loose' definition of contract just because it involves a phone company. A contract is a verbal or written agreement. Everyone who signs up with Koodo on a postpaid account signs a contract. And those who are signing up now, are signing a contract for a subsidy that won't take longer than 2 years to repay with certain terms and conditions. Or was I not paying attention when Oxford and every other dictionary decided to change the definition of contract?
Userlevel 2
Ahmad wrote:

Thank you Myke! I dislike it when people try and use a 'loose' definition of contract just becaus...

Even back when the Tab system was introduced, it was still a contract. An agreement between 2 parties. This has never changed, nor will it ever by the legal definition or the oxford one. Those that try and dispute it are just plan ignorant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Thank you Myke! I dislike it when people try and use a 'loose' definition of contract just becaus...

Yeah, and the old system was worse than the traditional "contract" as those with cheaper plans sometimes need more than 3 years to pay off the phone (like my wife on her $25 plan). Mind you, I was aware of this so don't take it as a complaint against the old tab, but the old system wasn't as great as a lot of people think.
The only real contract is when the customer borrows money from koodo (which is what the tab is) in order to buy a phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

The only real contract is when the customer borrows money from koodo (which is what the tab is) i...

Yes, any time there is a penalty for walking away (whether based on device balance or otherwise), you're in a contract. Even with bringing your own device, you'll still end up being on a renewing monthly contract - 30 day notice required to cancel.
The Tab system is fine but don't get fooled into thinking it isn't a contract. You are borrowing money to pay for a phone. The first phone I had through Koodo would have taken 5 years to pay off using the Tab system. 10% of my $25.00 plan ($2.50) monthly toward a $150.00 Tab. This is absolutely no different than a 5 year "contract". You can get out of either by paying off the balance on your subsidized phone. Even the term "subsidized" is a misnomer in some cases. My sister thought that Bell gave her a free phone. I pointed out that she is paying $25.00 more a month than I am for essentially the same service from Koodo. She now understands that Bell sold her a $350.00 phone for $600.00 on a long term payment plan.
Userlevel 1
angus.black wrote:

The Tab system is fine but don't get fooled into thinking it isn't a contract. You are borrowing...

i like