Koodo Community
Question

Gifting a Tab amount!

I want to pay off part of my sisters tab as a Christmas.gift, how can I do that? She's not ready to buy a new phone, but I wanted to clear up some tab space so she could get one without paying anything. Also, why can't I just pay of my tab and continue month to month?

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can't pay off your Tab early. The only way you can is if your closing the account. - KID ANDROID. ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 6
You wouldn't necessarily want to pay off your tab early. It's an interest free loan, so you might as well stretch as long as you can. You could pay for her bill as a.gift though. Or buy her koodo.giftcard if they have it.
Userlevel 5
Both Rudy and Kid Android are correct. The tab was created so that you are rewarded for your service with Koodo. Every month, Koodo takes 10% of your bill (before taxes) and credits your account (or your sisters in this case). It can only go as high as +150.00 and it can be used towards buying a new phone. The only time that you really have to worry about your tab is if you cancel (cross fingers that this never happens) or if you are getting a new phone that you want to use your tab balance to reduce the cost of a new/ newer phone. If you cancel and your tab is in the negative then you would have to pay off the tab balance on your final bill. Hope this helps
Userlevel 7
From what I've heard, it's possible to actually make "Tab payments" by calling it in. Some of my clients need very inexpensive plans (the $20 is fine for them) so it takes like 4 years+ to pay that off and that's a bit ridiculous. Or, they just want to be "free of debt" (yes the Tab is essentially a debt) after a certain point and can't wait several years for that to happen.
Userlevel 3
From what I've heard, it's possible to actually make "Tab payments" by calling it in. Some of my ...It doesn't take 4 years to pay it off. Buy the phone with your own money as opposed to borrowing it and you owe nothing. If you your clients can't afford a $100 phone than they shouldn't cellphones period. If they absolutely needed it that they shouldn't complaint that koodo helps it make happen with the tab. Best way to stay free of debt is to not get into it the first place. It's really a simple concept.
Userlevel 7
From what I've heard, it's possible to actually make "Tab payments" by calling it in. Some of my ...I created an Excel file on my computer at my kiosk that I show clients. Enter the starting Tab, enter the rate plan, then it shows you how much your Tab is reduced each month and maps it out over the next X months. On a $20 plan, it takes approximately 4 years to pay off a Tab of $150 (An Ace, 9320, One V, or even a 610 at this point). On the LG A341, perhaps not, because the retail is only $100, but still. I know it doesn't really make sense to "pay off the Tab faster" because Koodo's doing it for you, but the rate at which it's reduced is too slow for some clients looking to spend around the $30 mark. It's not a giant issue, it's never really broken a sale for me, but some people like to point it out. Just can't win with some people, eh.
Okay, so Thanks Johnathan, that's exactly what I have been told too. I had virgin before, and I could pay extra for my tab whenever i wanted to pay it down faster... I just know with my sister she doesn't have a lot of money, but I don't want to just buy her a new phone, I'd rather her have the tab room to do it. I'll call them and see what's up. Leslie
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Okay, so Thanks Johnathan, that's exactly what I have been told too. I had virgin before, and I ...@Johnathan I don't know because I have tried a few times and have been told that you can't do it. Do you work for Koodo?
Userlevel 5
Okay, so Thanks Johnathan, that's exactly what I have been told too. I had virgin before, and I ...There is no reason to do it, unless you are doing what Leslie wants and doing it as a.gift. But paying your tab just because you want to get out of the debt is ridiculous. As long as you are using the service and paying your monthly bills, the company is paying the tab for you. Why not let them work for you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Okay, so Thanks Johnathan, that's exactly what I have been told too. I had virgin before, and I ...@ John what's the difference in when I comment saying something is pathetic & you say I'm being rude and you calling a customers thought ridiculous? How am I rude but your not, just curious?
Userlevel 2
Hey folks, there seems to be some confusion here so I'll clear this up 🙂. There is no direct/indirect way to put money towards the tab. the only way for the tab to be reduced quicker would be to have a higher bill, but that really isn't practical. I do see this come up time and time again about paying money towards the tab, but since the tab doesn't actually have any monetary value outside of using it towards a phone, money can't really be applied to it. Hope this helps 🙂.
The best way to not have a tab is to pay the full amount for the phone or you could put some money towards the price of your phone so you would end up with a smaller amount put on the tab that you feel comfortable with.