Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Freedom Mobile Exclusive Offer BC/AB/ON 10GB data for $40+tab per month when porting from Telus/Koodo/Public

Userlevel 6
Link to article on Mobile Syrup.
Freedom Mobile had a one day blitz yesterday. I wonder how many people pulled the trigger on this.
I'm suspecting most wouldn't, given that their network coverage is patchy, especially compared to the coverage available to Koodo subscribers.
If Freedom Mobile pulls a stunt like this again (perhaps Back to School or Black Friday/Holiday rush), we may see Telus do a counter-promotion for port-ins from Freedom Mobile to Koodo or Public for BC/AB/ON.
Would be nice since the plans are generally inflated price-wise due to a lack of serious competition in those three provinces (granted, there's a lack of competition in the maritimes, but there's also a smaller market due to smaller population and low population density).
I remember Freedom had an exclusive offer back in the day when porting in from Mobilicity (back when it was WIND Mobile), which seemed strange since their biggest competition is with the big 3.
Hopefully we'll see some competitive offers during the remaining months of 2017.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We all want lower prices so let's hope what you say will indeed happen
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Titanium is this a question or should we change it to an idea?
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Sure, idea is fine, but a "general discussion" would be more appropriate. I suppose the question is whether we'll see a promo battle between Freedom and Telus (plus Koodo and Public) during the remaining months of 2017. Can't really propose it as an "idea" since Public already had exclusive port-in offers when porting from Freedom and if it happens again, it'll likely be a retaliation to one of Freedom's offers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok I see. Yeah nobody will know until either carrier makes a move but as Freedom expands and gets their infrastructure level up then its enviable prices will come down which was what has been expected since Wind (now freedom) entered the mobile arena in Canada. The only thing to worry about stopping this is both sides colluding as that's really the only thing that can prevent it other than a bankruptcy from ppl not supporting Freedoms efforts. However Koodo could push them in to that bancrupty with some slick moves I believe.
Userlevel 6

Doubt Koodo would push Freedom into bankruptcy with slick moves. If that were the case, Koodo would have already won the battle vs. Virgin and Fido (heck I'm even surprised that Fido is still a thing). Plus Shaw's got money (gotta love 'em price increases), so Shaw can keep the brand afloat for quite some time.
Userlevel 6

Yea. Shaw will happily raise their cable/internet rates to keep Freedom Mobile afloat.
Userlevel 6

@Cory Z :
Shaw will raise their cable internet/TV rates to keep making more money and maximizing revenue off their existing base. With this revenue, they can maintain Freedom Mobile as a loss leader for even a decade until say 5G launches, then they can partner up with Robbers to split the costs on the 5G towers, and roll into a full throttle tower sharing agreement with Robbers, upranking them into the existing cartel known as the big 3.
Userlevel 6

That is probably exactly what will happen.

As a Shaw customer who has most channels my monthly rate has gone down the last couple of years but who knows.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm surprised by all thus insistence that Shaw will raise prices in internetwork / cable to keep freedom going. In terms of simple operating costs without network expansion, freedom has broken even. The analyses done to death in the first couple years of Wind said 800k to ~1.3 million subscribers depending on ARPU. Shaw price points have generally been lower than Telus out west, even if by a small amount. Shaw lowered prices this year to stem the loss of subs and it has mostly worked. This quarter saw a tenth of the subs leaving as same quarter last year. Shaw's CEO even said they want higher ARPU but plan to be somewhat lower than the incumbents upon acquisition of Wind. Who knows what the final plan will be once they finish building out, but we shall see. I'm personally going with a continuation of their current business model of being somewhat / a little cheaper in general as the end result of Freedom.
I do believe FM has pulled this promo off. But they still have another promotion going on for an additional 4GB LTE data.https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/18/freedom-mobile-weekend-promo-new-customers-406gb-508gb/
Userlevel 6
Wow. Public Mobile has an unlimited province wide calling, unlimited text and 12GB+6GB plan for $75!!!!
Techjunkie wrote:

Wow. Public Mobile has an unlimited province wide calling, unlimited text and 12GB+6GB plan for $...

As I switched from pay as you go to MF $40 unlimited Canada wide calling all types texting and 10 GB of 4G speed which is 12 2 in my area it is great and if it ends up awful I can leave after 1 month. Or keep this indefinitely. Thanks PS I have been driving round Niagara streaming netflix. But only listening to TV. Because I can.
Userlevel 6
Won't see me switching to these imitation brands such as Freedom, Public, Chatr, etc
Userlevel 6
Public is still Telus owned (like Koodo). They just don't carry phones and are 100% self serve.
Techjunkie wrote:

Public is still Telus owned (like Koodo). They just don't carry phones and are 100% self serve.

I love Telus Customer service and Freedom M is not self serve and has good customer service on phone excellent in person. I gave Telus a chance to offer less than FM for same price but no. I also use Shaw Satellite TV. So am helping pay for the money lost on this. Thanks
Userlevel 6
That plan is really enticing but Freedom does not even offer service in my city and the closest one plan they can offer me is $60 for 1GB piggy-banking on the Telus network.
Userlevel 6
I do like the fact that you at least get a decent amount (1GB) of non home data. I'm in Vancouver area, so the whole area is blanketed in Freedom's LTE network. I rarely leave town, so it wouldn't be a bad deal. Although Koodo has been great. I'm on a 2GB+2GB bonus for $60 a month plan they had available for a short period, so I can't complain. I had issues with not one but TWO defective S8+ (the first one had the pink display, then the replacement they sent also had it) back when they came out, and the Web Store was great to deal with when I had to return both.