Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Failed credit check to qualify for a Tab.

I don't qualify for a tab in-store, can I get a more specific credit check done? My score's showing low because I shopped around at more than 10 dealerships when looking for my first car a couple years back.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did Koodo refuse you a plan altogether? They are usually pretty lenient... but if you can't get a plan prepaid is pretty awesome 🙂 If you really need the minutes and data, have a look at Public Mobile, they are a prepaid provider as well and you won't need a credit check for that.
Thank you for replying! Though I can get a plan through Koodo, and I really like the plan I was shown at the kiosk in the mall, I just can't get a new phone unless I pay for it 100% upfront, which I don't have on hand right now. I have an HTC 3D Evo at the moment, it's over 3 years old and won't charge anymore. The port in the phone is very loose and about to break the male piece in there. The provider I have it through says I don't qualify for an upgrade because i'm "Tier 2" and need to be "Tier 1" which would up the monthly rate to do so and take up to 90 days to finalize. I'm on my dad's family plan, and if I were to cut it and go on my own with the same provider, it'd raise my monthly bill minimum 2x, it's ridiculous. So I'd love to switch to Koodo asap if they can overlook my poor car shopping decisions and look at the actual car payments.
Userlevel 6
GoodISnipr . wrote:

Thank you for replying! Though I can get a plan through Koodo, and I really like the plan I was s...

I don't think they can customize their credit decisions to that level. They do have pre-owned phones with full warranty. Different stores have different stock but an iPhone 4s can be had for $200. https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/bargain-bin/index.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
GoodISnipr . wrote:

Thank you for replying! Though I can get a plan through Koodo, and I really like the plan I was s...

Aww well I guess they just go by the total score, they can't look into individual payments etc (you should be glad of that) 😃 What about getting a good-ish phone in the meantime? See if the store has a refurbished Moto G for around $100 or so. It is a really great phone and probably $100 might not be impossible for you to pay up front. Having a plan and paying it always on time actually will help you with your credit too, so I would imagine you'd be able to buy a good phone on the Tab pretty soon that way 🙂
Userlevel 6
You should take another look at your credit report, GoodlSnipr. The reason I mention that is because repetitive credit checks, loan applications and the likes have very quick recovery times (like, if you apply for a loan, get approved and then change your mind and do NOT go through, it will slightly and negatively impact your score, but it usually *heals* in no time (compared to, for example, missed payments or collections)). If this happened a couple years back, then you're almost assured none of that still shows on your report (except for the one car loan you are currently paying for). Something else is at play, and believe me, errors DO happen on credit reports! You'll be amazed what's in there. And in other news, like Sophia mentioned, all else failing, prepaid is indeed awesome!
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

You should take another look at your credit report, GoodlSnipr. The reason I mention that is b...

Errors definitely happen in the credit reports. Thanks!
Thank you all for some advice! Methinks it's time to send in for a free credit score @ equifax and transunion while searching for a basic phone that at least can be recharged and then I can use a Koodo plan or prepaid. Just for posterity's sake, I'll post updates for what I end up with. I already like Android, so I was all excited for the Samsung S4.
Userlevel 6
GoodISnipr . wrote:

Thank you all for some advice! Methinks it's time to send in for a free credit score @ equifax an...

If you're looking at buying outright and like Android (and can live with 8GB non-expandable storage), then definitely look at the Moto G! The 1st gen can be found for $119 (prepaid) when on sale at Future Shop and you don't even need to unlock it since it's the Telus model. The Moto G offers a performance/price ratio that can't be beat (on Android).
Userlevel 7
If you shopped at over 10 dealers, that means what you're saying is that you failed to buy a car 10 times since you must have failed each and every credit check. I'm not surprised you didn't qualify
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

If you shopped at over 10 dealers, that means what you're saying is that you failed to buy a car ...

That's an assonite comment Ahmad. Just because someone is shopping around doesn't mean they failed to purchase anything.
Userlevel 5
Ahmad wrote:

If you shopped at over 10 dealers, that means what you're saying is that you failed to buy a car ...

Most people wont go as far as the credit check while just shopping and kicking tires.
Badge +4
You could ask about the Spending Limit Program. It's my understanding that while they do perform a credit it check, I've had several people tell me that some Koodo kiosks and their retail partners perform what is known as a soft credit inquiry. This sort of inquiry does not hurt your rating the way a hard credit inquiry would. It pays to shop around and perhaps visit a different shop and ask about the program. http://help.koodomobile.com/help-videos/koodo-101/the-spending-limit-program
Userlevel 6
@Tayeb Why did you remove Ahmad's comment? He may have said something silly but I don't think it warrants removal.
Sadly in my area, the very first thing all the dealerships did was take a couple forms of id and ran the credit check first to offer me the most pricey thing they could. At the second place I went to, I tried to refuse giving them my info right away and they said they can't help me. If I kept a hidden camera on me, I'm certain my vids would get views of how badly people don't want to help me face to face. I get run-arounds and false information everywhere, and I rarely push back because in the end it's their business not profiting from a customer. I shop around a lot before buying anything over $50 market value. So, I went into Fido and was approved immediately and I'm figuring out now how to get my personal stuff from the HTC to the Samsung S4. Have a great one y'all and thanks again for the advice!