Koodo Community
Solved

Does Koodo allow hardware upgrades without making plan changes?

• 26 September 2020
  • 10 replies

I am with Virgin Mobile right now on a BYOP plan.

Virgin recently moved away from the silver/gold/platinum tier structure for device plans and introduced something called the Sweet Pay, With sweet pay customers make additional monthly payments towards the device for 2 years. After 2 years, the additional monthly payment for the device goes away and only the plan amount needs to be paid. Even though the features as well as prices of the BYOP and the Sweet Pay plans are the same right now, Virgin does not allow hardware upgrades unless a BYOP plan has been switched over to a Sweet Pay plan.

Is that how Koodo hardware upgrades work as well?

Does a BYOP subscriber require a plan change to a TAB Basic, Mid or Plus plan to do an upgrade?

Or does it work more like Freedom mobile where the Tab is just an extra monthly payment on top of any plan for 2 years to pay for the phone?

icon

Best answer by Goran 26 September 2020, 04:55

Like I said, Koodo generally does not have byod plans that make you ineligible for tabs. Unless that particular plan says not eligible for tab, then you're ok. So generally more like Freedom if you want to make a comparison with another company.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Tab is only available with the monthly plans (not with Prepaid)

See https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/tab-and-your-monthly-bill for more details.

Tab is an extra monthly payment on top of any plan for 2 years to pay for the phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You won't need to “upgrade”your plan so long as you meet the minimum plan amounts for the tab that you want.

Exceptions include particularly old plans as a way to force you off of good grandfathered plans and specifically BYOD special plans.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, does the Koodo Tab system works more like the Virgin Mobile Sweet Pay rather than the Tab with Freedom Mobile?

WIth Freedom Mobile. an existing customer on a Bring Your Own Phone plan can choose to do a hardware upgrade on a Tab at anytime without needing to change to a Device Plan. This is because Freedom does not make distinctions between Bring Your Own Phone and Device Plans. They are exactly the same. (This info is about a year old; so things may have changed recently)

Based on your reply, it seems that the Koodo Tab system works like the Virgin Sweet Pay.

An existing Koodo subscriber on a Bring Your Own Device plan cannot simply get a phone without first changing the plan to an eligible Device Plan and then proceeding with the upgrade. After 2 years, the device is paid off and the tab payment drops off from the bill. However, Koodo lets the subscriber keep the Device Plan (as opposed to moving them to a BYOD plan) even if the subscriber wishes not to get another device upgrade after the 2 years. Am I correct in my assumption?

P.S: I am not talking about Prepaid Plans here. It is not possible to finance phones with prepaid plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh Freedom will absolutely make you get a new plan if it's an older one. Speaking from personal experience there.

Well yes but if you signed up “byod” it doesn't automatically mean that. An example would be a couple years ago the 10 Gb for 60 plan was not eligible for tab. Barring one of those plans, you can still get a tab without changing your plan unless it's also very old.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My answer is only partial because of my time constraints. A prepaid customer has to switch to a monthly plan to be able to buy a new phone on tab (2 years to pay tab - afterwards you own the phone and can stay with the monthly plan).  Prepaid plans do not allow customers to buy a phone on tab. They can bring their own phone or buy a phone elsewhere and keep their prepaid plan.

Oh Freedom will absolutely make you get a new plan if it's an older one. Speaking from personal experience there.

Well yes but if you signed up “byod” it doesn't automatically mean that. An example would be a couple years ago the 10 Gb for 60 plan was not eligible for tab. Barring one of those plans, you can still get a tab without changing your plan unless it's also very old.

Yeah, I know that Freedom will try to force customers to change to a newer plan whenever possible. The point I was trying to make was that Freedom does not separate the plans into two categories: BYOP and Device Plans.

I have attached a screenshot of my Virgin Mobile account. I am currently on the BYOP 50 plan (this is a new plan launched last month) and so I cannot do a hardware upgrade. I am being asked to switch to a Device Plan (Sweet Pay plans) if I wish to finance my device. The Sweet Pay 50 has the same features as my current plan except it is a DEVICE Plan. Hence, I have to make the switch if I choose to do an upgrade. 

Does Koodo Tab hardware upgrades work like Virgin Mobile then or more like Freedom?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Like I said, Koodo generally does not have byod plans that make you ineligible for tabs. Unless that particular plan says not eligible for tab, then you're ok. So generally more like Freedom if you want to make a comparison with another company.

Thank you very much. Time to switch to Koodo then.

So, I got a callback from a Koodo live rep today regarding this. He told me that if I sign up with a BYOD plan right now and then choose to get a hardware upgrade in the future, then the Koodo Self Serve system will force me to make a plan change if the BYOD plan that I initially signed up with is no longer available in the market. In other words, a device upgrade on Koodo Tab  can only be done with an in-market plan; old plans are not eligible for hardware upgrades. The only way around this would be to contact loyalty/retention before doing the upgrade. He said he has been working for Koodo for 5 years and that he was a 100% certain about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So, I got a callback from a Koodo live rep today regarding this. He told me that if I sign up with a BYOD plan right now and then choose to get a hardware upgrade in the future, then the Koodo Self Serve system will force me to make a plan change if the BYOD plan that I initially signed up with is no longer available in the market. In other words, a device upgrade on Koodo Tab  can only be done with an in-market plan; old plans are not eligible for hardware upgrades. The only way around this would be to contact loyalty/retention before doing the upgrade. He said he has been working for Koodo for 5 years and that he was a 100% certain about this.

I don't think Koodo has ever established a specific expiry date for grandfathered plans. I was able to get a phone on tab à year ago but I no longer can now without paying 5 a month more now. Happens on Freedom as well and I don't know of a single carrier that doesn't eventually do it.