Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Do I own my phone after tab is paid off?

When my tab is paid off, do I then own an unlocked phone?

Let's say I get a plan with a tab. In two years my tab is 0 and my phone is paid off. At that point is it exactly as if I brought my own unlocked phone to Koodo and started a plan with no tab? Do I fully own the phone and is it unlocked? Am I free then to keep my phone and decide to cancel with Koodo or switch to another carrier?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Yes you own the phone when TAB is paid off and you can do with it as you like.
But it will still be locked to Koodo ( unless it's a Nexus, which are all unlocked ).  
There is a $35 charge if you wish to unlock it. 
Perfect, thanks for the quick reply.

To me this is an important detail that wasn't easy to find on the main page, but the phone staying locked to Koodo makes sense. Just wanted to check.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michael wrote:

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply.

To me this is an important detail that wasn't easy to find ...

Info about unlocking your phone  :)
http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-...
Badge +4
You own the phone the second you sign the contract. Essentially, you can do whatever you like. You can switch carriers mid-contract if you see a better deal elsewhere. Keep in mind cancellation fees may apply and you'll be responsible for paying back the entire amount of the phone plus any monthly rate plan usage charges. Since you're all paid off, you can go ahead and get the phone unlocked. I would suggest looking around online for a better unlocking price. You can also switch carriers if you see a better deal somewhere else.