Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Credit Check Odds?

I have been with Koodo pre-paid for the last 4 years and loved every bit of my time on it with absolutely ZERO complaints. Because I turn 18 on Sunday I want to immediately go and get a new iPhone, like the iPhone SE 64GB on the Tab Plus. My question is that if I go in on my birthday what would my likelihood of being approved in the credit check and Tab Plus check be? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Generally good. Worst case if you get declined is your parents should be able to get it for you as well
@Goran, I appreciate the quick reply and it adds a bit of confidence despite the lack of confidence given by the Koodo employee I visited today. My parents credit isn't great so we'll have to see on that front.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's a small amount of credit and non-payment usually means an end to your service, so the threshold is usually low. I know many people including myself who got subsidies at 18. If it will make a difference you can try the regular tab plan if tab plus won't work. I still haven't personally found if the ratings are different but it's basically a total of 500 dollars. If you can get a 500 dollar credit card, you can usually get phone tabs.
So should go and get a credit card first?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Drake Tytler wrote:

Not necessarily, a credit check is not dependent on having a credit card 🙂
Drake Tytler wrote:

Thank you for your reply!
I think ill just have to go see what they say on Sunday! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Drake Tytler wrote:

I just mentioned that as an example of a credit you cna apply for that's a similar amount. You don't have to at all. Pretty much anything in the form of a bill will get you better credit. IIRC if you don't qualify at the end of the day, 6 months of on time payments will qualify you for tab use as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Drake Tytler wrote:

Good luck! Koodo is pretty lenient and unless you have really BAD credit, you probably won't face any problems. But only they can tell you for sure...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Drake Tytler wrote:

A personal suggestion is, unless you're in Quebec. Saskatchewan, or Manitoba, is to not use the tab plus if you can help it. It ends up costing more with the more expensive tab plus plans you have to use vs regular tab eligible plans. The advantage is if you really want a more expensive phone and just cannot afford the upfront cost. The cheapest non-SK/Mb/QC tab plus plan is 69, and the equivalent, minus unlimited clals for regular tab eligible plans is 50 or 60 a month. I do see that the 64GB SE is currently 100 off on tab plus, so 24 months of tab plus 69 plan would come to 2290 over 24 months vs 2150 for 60 tab, saving you 140 dollars. The 50 dollar one would come to 1910 over 24 months, saving 380.