Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I switch from a medium tab to a large tab?

If I want a phone on a medium tab can I get a plan on the large tab?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are prepared to pay the Tab Large monthly plan price, you might as well take advantage to he Tab Large Tab, since you are paying a premium for the plan.
Some Tab Large plans have many GBs of data, but the phone I want is only on a Tab Medium Tab not to mention there's.gift cards and stuff that don't come with the Tab Large phone. The Tab Medium Tabs will have a reduced monthly payment so there's many reasons why I would want to do it.

However, CAN I do it? On the website when choosing a Tab Medium phone I am not able to pick a Tab Large plan. So maybe after choosing a Tab Medium plan, can I just go into self serve and switch to the Tab Large plan that I want?
Userlevel 7
Ali Afsar wrote:

Some Tab Large plans have many GBs of data, but the phone I want is only on a Tab Medium Tab not ...

I don't think so... And I don't see why you would want to. There's plenty of Tab M plans with lots of data.
Userlevel 6
You could, if it's to secure a plan that would be compatible with a tab large down the road. Say you see a plan that you like that works with tab large, and you want to subsidize a mid-range phone today, but you want to be able to subsidize a premium phone down the road and keep the same plan, then it should work.
Userlevel 1
You should be able to change plan from Medium to Large in Self Serve. Since the tab payment may be tricky ( from $15 to $21 monthly ) in which I'm not sure if the system is smart enough to continue billing you $15 monthly, suggest to give a call to *611 to ensure that there won't be any surprise in the final amount to you. Koodo plan is very flexible which always meets our need.. and that's my experience. Hope it helps.

I have a similar question! I got my phone on a Tab Small ($240 current tab), there is a Tab Large plan that I like and work out better cost wise than a Tab Small or Med plan somehow, if I switch to this Tab Large does it mean I pay $21/month until my tab is zero? What I'm curious is exactly what happens after the Tab balance is ZERO?

Koodo phone support is useless as it takes over an hour to get a call back and then have to deal with so much language barrier that it's difficult to understand or be understood... Starting to regret moving to Koodo already...

Thanks for any input.
Userlevel 6
Peter wrote:

I have a similar question! I got my phone on a Tab Small ($240 current tab), there is a Tab Large...

If you're currently on a tab small (tab 240), you should be able to move to a tab large base plan. The tab amount is part of the subsidy agreement. You're agreeing to pay Koodo $240 over two years, whereas the base plan can change to anything in-market that the carrier allows/offers. If you can't change the plan via self-serve, call in and explain that you tried to do it online, and they should be able to waive the $10 fee to change the plan.
Peter wrote:

I have a similar question! I got my phone on a Tab Small ($240 current tab), there is a Tab Large...

Ok now I understand a bit better. So if my current Small Tab plan is say $40 + $10 TAB and I move to a Large Tab plan $40, the Tab Charge will still remain $10/month as it is decided by the original phone purchase contract/amount right?

So a Tab Large plan doesn't automatically mean $21/month charge?

Thank you for your help.
Userlevel 6
Peter wrote:

A [b]tab large plan allows you to subsidize a phone at $21 per month (meaning $504 away on a 2 yr). Since you're subsidizing your phone at $10 per month, regardless of what base plan you go to, you'll continue to subsidize your phone at $10 per month. Your plan can be $25+10, $35+10, $45+10, $55+10, $65+10, etc. Changing your plan will not increase your tab agreement.
Tab large plans are generally more expensive. Koodo does this to prevent users from grabbing premium phones, then putting them on cheap talk&text plans. You're more than welcome to subsidize a budget/mid-range phone on a plan that includes more data. Logically, any carrier would welcome that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter wrote:

Moving to a tab large plan will require a new tab large as well. If you move to a 40 dollar tab large plan as per your example, then you will have to get a tab large added on and it will be 21 a month. This means paying off your current tab first and then you can move over. But once you pay off the tab large, you can keep the tab large plan without needing another tab. Tab large plans are rarely worth it unless you're in QC/SK/MB. Maybe if you wanted a pixel on sale or something and didn't have a really good grandfathered plan I guess you could swap over pay it off and go back to a non tab large plan.
Peter wrote:

Thanks [b]titaniumtux for your follow up. It looks like when I go to my Self Serve it is indeed showing me my Tab Large plan but under my Tab Amount it is showing a Small Tab still. Hopefully that's how it'll stay.

[b]Goran, I was able to change my Tab Small to a Tab Large plan without paying off the $240 Tab charge. The Tab type/amount is still indicated Small/$240.[b]
Userlevel 6
Peter wrote:

@Peter thank you for confirming! As long as your tab balance isn't interrupted (meaning as long as you're not stuck paying off the remaining tab on the next bill), you should be good to go. You can only get on a tab 21 by taking a phone that'll subsidize $504 over 2 years.
Peter wrote:

Actually even if I end up paying the Tab balance I'm OK cause the plan I picked on Tab Large is about 3-4 bucks cheaper than on Tab Small for exact same data which is weird but I suspect has to do with the holiday promos they are running. But so far that tab amount has stayed exactly what it should be and hasn't been zeroed out.

My main concern was that Koodo would end up changing my tab to $504 from $240 but your post made me go back and read the contract and it's very clear the Tab amount is separate from the Plan amount. It seems like choosing Tab Large Plan is a requisite for the Large Tab but also accommodates Small and Medium Tabs if one wishes. Normally this isn't an issue cause the Tab Large plans are more expensive anyway vs. the counterpart Tab Med/Small plans but with the weird way Koodo is offering the Holiday promos it looks like this is temporarily reversed.

I'll keep an eye on my bill and update here for future reference.
Userlevel 6
Peter wrote:

You got it! The competitors do the same thing in a similar fashion, but instead through plans on "subsidy tiers" rather than a tab. For instance Virgin has Silver/Gold/Platinum plans (which are similar to tab small/medium/large). Fido had Standard/Smart/Premium plans but changed it in favour of tabs (kind of like Koodo, except they don't fall off after 24 months). The general trend is that plans on lower subsidy tiers would be at lower price tags, except when you get into the bigger data allowances. This is a way for carriers to encourage bigger data users to take more expensive / premium handsets for "better value". Because you're on a tab small, as you noticed, just because you changed your base plan, as long as the plan doesn't have some sort of incompatibility with your tab, you get to keep rolling with the same tab.