Koodo Community

Community

Solved

can i sell a phone with while i still owe on a koodo tab?

Can i sell a phone that i got from Koodo , if i still owe money on the tab? Because i recently got a new phone , and was hoping to sell my old phone but there is still a small tab of 40$ on it. So would it be okay to sell it? or would the person buying my phone from me would have trouble with activating it?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, you may sell the phone. The other person will not have any issues with it unless you report the phone lost or stolen.
Userlevel 2
I believe you will have to pay whatever remains of the tab
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
frananddave wrote:

That's not correct. The tab is not tied to a specific phone. My wife's tab is for a phone that she never used - it was sold immediately as she already had an unlocked phone.
Userlevel 2
frananddave wrote:

Interesting! We seem to have had a different experience when we picked up a new phone recently at London Drugs. So not sure of the insurance and outs. They did say at the time that it was necessary to pay off the tab. Maybe I'm missing something here.
Userlevel 6
frananddave wrote:

If you sell your phone, what happens to your tab? Someone else is using your phone but your phone is still on your account, with a tab so it's still your responsibility. Another way to look at it is you're giving your phone for someone else to use, you're still responsible for the tab. You can't sell the phone and the tab that goes with it. If you block it lost or stolen, the new guy/girl can't use it. And let's say you do block it lost or stolen, you're still responsible for the tab. Before you sell it, you should pay off the tab and get it unlocked for the next person to use
Userlevel 4
frananddave wrote:

Nope the people at London Drugs just don't know what they are taking about. You own the phone, you can do what you want with it.
frananddave wrote:

OK thanks for the answers 🙂 i know that i will still be responsibility for the tab, but i don't really mind since it comes off my bill every month anyway
Userlevel 2
frananddave wrote:

We were changing our phone number to a new phone and that was the reason that koodo required us to pay off the tab on the decommissioned phone. But as to whether we had to pay it all at once or could have carried it, I know we would have chosen to pay it all off at once anyway. So I can't speak for that part.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don't have to pay off the tab as long as you maintain your regular Koodo service. Under the old regimen, your tab was probably decreasing anyway. If you got another unlocked phone, and can pop the SIM over, you're good to go and the old one can be sold off, but eventually the tab will have to be paid. Your tab will still decrease if the phone just sits in your drawer or is being used by somebody else. You seem to be very aware and agreeable as to these facts. If you want to unlock the older phone thru Koodo in order to sell it, you will have to meet the CRTC requirements (be in good standing with your bill, have been a customer for a certain period of time etc.). Koodo will not hassle you that a tab is still owing.