Koodo Community

Community

Bring back the old Koodo

Userlevel 1
With this new Tab system came a lot of other unexpected changes. Such as: higher device prices (device prices went up by as much as $225 overnight), higher plans, unhappy customers. I understand the reasoning behind the changes, but as far as I am concerned, it is an excuse. The tab now needs to be cleared in 2 years instead of 3, so you put the plan prices up to compensate for that. The problem is, since you put the device prices up, the plan prices need to go even higher. I don't know if Koodo thought they could trick us into thinking this was normal, or if they just thought we were stupid. We are not. Here is what I would like to see: 1) Koodo contributes the 15% they have committed to 2) Tab (whether it be small, medium, or large) is divided over the 2 years. Call it the customer contribution 3) The 15% Koodo contribution is subtracted from the monthly customer contribution 4) The remainder of the customer contribution is added onto the monthly bill. 5) Customers with no tab can choose to build their tab by 15% per month or save 15% on their bill. (maybe even with an adjustable ratio) This is a fair system that works the same for everyone. Everything else could continue to work the same as it did before. Plan and device prices can return to normal and everyone will love Koodo again. BRING BACK THE OLD KOODO!! Suggestions?

88 replies

Userlevel 7
I don't think you'll see koodo dishing out the 15% on byod but I like the rest of what you proposed and have +1'd
Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

I don't think you'll see koodo dishing out the 15% on byod but I like the rest of what you propos...

Yeah, that part is wishful thinking. Thanks.
Chad Burr wrote:

I don't think you'll see koodo dishing out the 15% on byod but I like the rest of what you propos...

I got on as a promo talk + text bundle at the end of June. I used my old Samsung Intensity 1 to activate it. Its a meager plan and phone, but i can see what all y'all peeps are talkin' about. Koodo has a very somewhat loyal fanbase/customers. If they mess that up Koodo could be finding themselves starting from scratch. I don't understand why, maybe just greed is why they changed it. All for the money, right? Koodo is still making money, its just that Koodo wants MORE money could be the reason behind the change in tab's and the plan's. I still like you don't HAVE to get a contract and as long as Koodo keeps doing that and its not out of my budget, i'll be loyal to them. Peace!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I honestly don't see Koodo keeping these new plans/prices, unless they really don't want customers.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

I honestly don't see Koodo keeping these new plans/prices, unless they really don't want customers.

Agreed! It's only been a couple of days so far and the backlash from people seems to be appropriately really bad. The current model ain't sustainable long term.
Ivan wrote:

I was about to hook up a family member onto my account; so much for that...
Userlevel 1
Ivan wrote:

agree!!!
Ivan wrote:

The new plans and charges are because we as consumers told the CRTC we want to be able to be able to walk away from a contract after 2 years. No one to blame but ourselves ( or at least those loudmouths amongst us)
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

I thought Koodo didn't do contracts? lol
Userlevel 4
Ivan wrote:

@tmarti9 Yes and no. Instead of punishing BYOD and outright purchasers, they could have kept the plan rates the same, and charge more for subsidy. The point was, koodo was a subsidy light carrier, therefore could offer lower rate plan rates than its parent Telus. They should have stuck to this model, forcing the people who want big subsides to stick with the big 3 parents.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't know what Koodo was thinking... everybody was so happy with this new Tab arrangement but it turned out to be only the silver lining of a big black cloud. All the initial enthusiasm I saw has died instantly in all the forums I looked at. Of course inflation and all that cause prices to go up at times, but over 200% at once??? I too hope they reconsider... I want the Koodo back I used to be so proud of!
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

I don't know what Koodo was thinking... everybody was so happy with this new Tab arrangement but ...

I'll put it this way. They broke up with me. If they don't come back soon, I will have moved on to someone else.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

I don't know what Koodo was thinking... everybody was so happy with this new Tab arrangement but ...

I think the damage has been done with these new incentives. Regardless of what Koodo does or doesn't do in the future to address these changes, or offer better value, I really think a lot of peoples perception of Koodo has been effected. I'm on a 6GB grandfathered plan and as soon as someone else offers something somewhat comparable (even at a higher pricepoint), I'll be gone.
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

^^ This. Koodo, I hope, is fully aware of what's coming their way as more and more users consider jumping ship.
Userlevel 4
I find this new system overly complicated for little value. Why couldn't they just do the T-Mobile USA route? Here is the 3 plans we offer, same price for everyone. If you want a fancy phone, pay up to 20 bucks a month until the device balance is done.
Userlevel 1
Ry wrote:

I find this new system overly complicated for little value. Why couldn't they just do the T-Mobil...

That would be too easy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

I find this new system overly complicated for little value. Why couldn't they just do the T-Mobil...

T-mobile's version brings so much clarity and simplicity. It would have been a great system to implement
Ry wrote:

T mobile is a much bigger company than any Canadian telecom company and can afford to take a smaller margin of profit
Userlevel 4
Ry wrote:

Your statement is not very accurate. T-Mobile charges approximately the same price per device, so other than potential bulk discounts with a uncommon AWS frequency, I can't see how they have any advantage over Telus /koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

Big companies can always afford to take a smaller profit margin. But they won't. They didnt become a big company by making less money
I remember the good old days with the $15/month plan, then came the $20 plan - that one was perfect... now things are getting out of hand
Userlevel 3
Sam wrote:

I remember the good old days with the $15/month plan, then came the $20 plan - that one was perfe...

At least with that price increase they added services so that $20 was less than the $15 plan plus voicemail, etc. These new plans with the tab just look awfull.
I totally agree. I've said this on another topic, but if they don't change I'll definitely be shopping around as there's no advantage anymore with "non-contract" Koodo now and a 2 year contract with the other carriers. I'll be looking at Fido, Virgin and looking very closely at Verizon if/when they come to Canada. I'm avoiding Telus on principle as they own Koodo. I'll be taking my money elsewhere.
Userlevel 1
Frank wrote:

I totally agree. I've said this on another topic, but if they don't change I'll definitely be sho...

I would like to start shopping around too. The problem is that I just got a new phone and therefore my tab is at $150. Normally I can bring it down quite quickly with referral credits, but I can't justify referring someone to them anymore. There is no longer a benefit (and quite possibly a detriment) to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Frank wrote:

I totally agree. I've said this on another topic, but if they don't change I'll definitely be sho...

I agree. How can I refer someone to Koodo if I'm not happy with their new plans...