Koodo Community

$40/month 8GB old plan not eligible for Tab Basic

• 19 November 2020
  • 17 replies

A rep told me it’s not possible to get a Tab Basic on a $40/month 8GB plan from 2018 because it’s too old or “expired”. Anyone with a same/similar plan who can confirm or had a different experience?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unless it is a BYOD plan, a $40 plan is enough for tab basic.

Are you able to upgrade online?

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone

Thanks for replying. :smiley:

No, tried once and was not able to upgrade online. Which is why I requested a rep callback. I believe it was not a BYOD plan. It was the 2018 offer to Public Mobile customers. I found the original text online:

Switch to Koodo and get 5GB of data for $35/month OR 8GB of data for $40/month! PLUS $180 in bill credits. Plans include unlimited Canada-wide minutes & unlimited international text. You may be eligible for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. Switch online at https://Koo.do/choosekoodo or at your nearest Koodo location and use promo code JOINKOODOAUGDATA by September 4th, 2018. Offer available for 1XXXXXXXXXX. You’re included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. *Conditions apply

Did not mention anything about being BYOD and mentions possibility of Tabs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In that case, send Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter and a rep will look into your account and try to fix your upgrade issue

Following. As I have the same issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for replying. :smiley:

No, tried once and was not able to upgrade online. Which is why I requested a rep callback. I believe it was not a BYOD plan. It was the 2018 offer to Public Mobile customers. I found the original text online:

Switch to Koodo and get 5GB of data for $35/month OR 8GB of data for $40/month! PLUS $180 in bill credits. Plans include unlimited Canada-wide minutes & unlimited international text. You may be eligible for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. Switch online at https://Koo.do/choosekoodo or at your nearest Koodo location and use promo code JOINKOODOAUGDATA by September 4th, 2018. Offer available for 1XXXXXXXXXX. You’re included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. *Conditions apply

Did not mention anything about being BYOD and mentions possibility of Tabs.

Did you buy a phone at that time?  If not, you are on BYOD plan.

@mdeze  Are you on BYOD plan?  Did you buy a phone on Tab?

@Mayumi I already had a phone at that time so no I only got the plan, so most likely yes on a BYOD plan. Is a BYOD plan not eligible for tabs? Weird thing is that my mother got the $35 version of the PM migration plan back in 2018 as well but she was eligible for tab basic and was able to upgrade a few days ago. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have the $35 plan and was able to get a phone on Tab S a few months ago through Self Serve. Judging by the fact that your mother managed to do it, it seems that there's some sort of issue with your account. I'll see if someone at Koodo can look into this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Mayumi I already had a phone at that time so no I only got the plan, so most likely yes on a BYOD plan. Is a BYOD plan not eligible for tabs? Weird thing is that my mother got the $35 version of the PM migration plan back in 2018 as well but she was eligible for tab basic and was able to upgrade a few days ago. 

TBH, I don't know how their system works.

It seems some BYOD are more strict than other BYOD plans. I guess it's depends on when and how you get it...?

If your mother were able to use Tab basic to upgrade her phone with same BYOD plan as you, I would send them message and ask why you can't use same Tab basic to upgrade.

Hopefully they can make some adjustments ( no guarantee, but I would try)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I had an issue where I maintain a QC number and live in ON and had the same plan. It just wouldn't work for me. I changed to a different plan and it works now. Not sure if its a similar situation to you with your area code vs your province of residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @Maxjestic - I changed your plan to a different version that should be upgrade eligible. If the system still forces you to change plans, just continue on with the upgrade and we’ll be able to change the plan back afterwards :) 

@Philosoraptor @Mayumi I guess I will give them a call and see what they say. But still no matter what I want to keep my plan ($40 8GB + 5GB). I would honestly rather buy the phone outright than alter my plan. 

@Goran Yes I've read on various forums that people living in a province and having another provinces' area code has had similar issues with upgrades but thats not the case for me. I have a local number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Philosoraptor @Mayumi I guess I will give them a call and see what they say. But still no matter what I want to keep my plan ($40 8GB + 5GB). I would honestly rather buy the phone outright than alter my plan. 

@Goran Yes I've read on various forums that people living in a province and having another provinces' area code has had similar issues with upgrades but thats not the case for me. I have a local number.

What phone are you looking at?

You should be able to keep your plan if you buy a phone outright.   Did you try purchase your phone outright after Chris (Official rep) changed your plan to a different version ? Do you still get error message ?( The system still not allowing you to purchase?)

No phone in particular, just curious if it's possible so I can keep an eye on these black friday/cyber Monday promotions. I can definitely purchase the phone outright, that has never been an issue (that is what I always do). Also @Chris Koodo please do not attempt to change/alter my plan at all. All I want to know is "is it possible to get a phone on tab basic WITHOUT making any changes to my current plan and add-ons?" Because if I try it online at present, it gives me an error. Just wondering if it's any different on koodo's end.

And I do believe that Chris was talking to @Maxjestic when he said he changed his plan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@mdeze - You’re correct, I didn’t notice you had the issue also. You should be good to upgrade now. If the system forces you to change the plan just go through with it and we can change it back afterwards :)

@Chris Koodo I don't know what you did but you changed my data plan from 8gb to 1.5 gb. Please convert it back. And now it shows that my 8 gb data is expired!! I specifically mentioned not to alter my plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@mdeze  - You still have an 8GB plan + data add-on - what you see there is simply the prorated data that is left for the remainder of your cycle. Doing the change immediately was the only way to allow you to upgrade your phone.

As I mentioned, do the upgrade and we’ll worry about the rest later. If the system still forces you to change your plan we’ll just change it back and/or if you end up being charged for data that you shouldn't have we’ll just do an adjustment 

@Chris Koodo understood. As long as I retain my plan. That's all that matters to me. Thanks 👍.