Koodo Community
Question

Switch to new phone number while accessing old

• 4 May 2020
  • 8 replies

I'll try to explain better on here:

I have a decade old out of region phone number with Koodo post paid with a tab/credit. I just want to switch my number to a more local one while having talk/text access to my current number for transitional piece of mind.

Should I sign up with any prepaid provider for a new number, once I know it's "clean" from harassers/telemarketers etc port the number to take over my current Koodo account?

Thanks for the future ideas. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for creating this new post😁

Now, you said you have an “out of region phone number ”?  Is this mean you have different province number - like living Ontario, but have a Quebec number?   Or living in Toronto, but have a Niagara number?

Thank you for creating this new post😁

Now, you said you have an “out of region phone number ”?  Is this mean you have different province number - like living Ontario, but have a Quebec number?   Or living in Toronto, but have a Niagara number?

I am in eastern Ontario actually with a Niagara number so the plan shouldn't matter. I know plans vary from province to province. I have an unlocked phone with a deactivated Koodo Sim which should be simple for Koodo to reactivated for a month or two? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your deactivated SIM. Is it post paid or prepaid?  How long it has been deactivated?

It will expired after 90 days of inactivity.

Add: Oh, you said a month or two. Yes, then you can swap your SIM if it’s postpaid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Should I sign up with any prepaid provider for a new number, once I know it's "clean" from harassers/telemarketers etc port the number to take over my current Koodo account?”

I just want to understand your question. (Sorry, it’s my English 😅)

You have a decade old out of region phone number. And you want to switch to local number.  ( because you are receiving a lot of calls from harassers/telemarketers)

It means you are ok with lose your current number, correct?

In that case, yes, you can open up a new prepaid account  with Koodo/different providers) and see if the number is clean/safe. But you have to keep your current Koodo postpaid account active too.   Then port the new prepaid/local number into your current out of region number.  Your account will be under the new number and your old number will be gone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Why not just keep your old number? Most all current cell phone plans have Canada wide calling. 

My current number is relatively free from unwanted calls, I just know many people who have switched numbers who unfortunately had issues of former family members, creditors, employers etc trying to contact the wrong person. I do have unlimited Canada wide calling which is not the issue. I just think a more localized number for everyone else to communicate with me (289 → 613) just makes sense at this time.

I have many contacts/accounts etc which require text message authorization so I would like to keep my current number accessible for when I do the full transition. Leaving it be sure sounds to be the best/easiest/cheapest option, which is why I haven’t bothered in the first place. lol!

If I were to remain access to my current number the best/cheapest route would be to:

1. Create a new account anywhere for local number (Without touching current Koodo plan)
  2. Determine if there are any unwanted calls and start to notify/update contacts of new number.
  3. In Koodo Self Serve on current plan, simply port in new number to replace the old? Once this occurs the new number account will be disabled?

Thanks for the advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My current number is relatively free from unwanted calls, I just know many people who have switched numbers who unfortunately had issues of former family members, creditors, employers etc trying to contact the wrong person. I do have unlimited Canada wide calling which is not the issue. I just think a more localized number for everyone else to communicate with me (289 → 613) just makes sense at this time.

I have many contacts/accounts etc which require text message authorization so I would like to keep my current number accessible for when I do the full transition. Leaving it be sure sounds to be the best/easiest/cheapest option, which is why I haven’t bothered in the first place. lol!

If I were to remain access to my current number the best/cheapest route would be to:

1. Create a new account anywhere for local number (Without touching current Koodo plan)
  2. Determine if there are any unwanted calls and start to notify/update contacts of new number.
  3. In Koodo Self Serve on current plan, simply port in new number to replace the old? Once this occurs the new number account will be disabled?

Thanks for the advice!

Any new number will risk unwanted calls (either from the previous user of the number or from robo calls that just goes through a list).  And with the explosion of cellphones number, unless it is a new area code that has been created, all numbers will have had previous owners.

If you want to keep your old number at the same time as having your number then you will need to create another line with another plan with your new number.  The problem here is you cant have your new number with your current plan (not sure if this is something you want).

Yes your plan will work.  Just note that akoodo post paid cannot port into a Koodo post paid.  And a koodo prepaid cannot port into a koodo prepaid.  But they can port into each other.

Hope that makes sense

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You could also consider a dual SIM phone, and get your new number on a cheap calling plan to test the waters, or use a VoIP service to heat a new number, which transfers to your old number.