Koodo Community

Community

Question

Switch phones

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 for not even a year and I'm just getting bored with it, I can't find any cases cause no stores have them and idk I just don't really like it. So can I switch phones and keep the same plan and number that I have ? And will it cost to switch phones ?

6 replies

Userlevel 2
If you're bored with your phone, you can certainly buy a new phone and keep the plan you are on. However, if you bought the phone less than a year ago on a Tab, you won't be able to get a big discount on any new phone you buy from Koodo. Expect to pay (almost) full price for any new phone you choose from Koodo's available line-up of phones.
Userlevel 7
Woah there bud. Don't discourage the client from upgrading. OP, you can pay out of your existing Tab (onto your next bill) when you go to a participating retailer or Koodo shop and have a full Tab to use for a new device. If you are okay using Android but want something more powerful, the S3 has dropped to a good price at $350 retail, so it would be $50 on a Medium Tab, $200 on small Tab. The Nexus 4 is also available for $300 retail, or free on a medium Tab and $150 on small Tab. The S4 mini is a good choice too. To use Medium Tab, you must have a $30+ plan (you can keep your old one if it qualifies for that) and then you'll have a $5 Tab charge to help pay the subsidy. If you're not on track to clear it within 24 months, then Koodo will adjust the contribution to ensure it will be finished by then.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Woah there bud. Don't discourage the client from upgrading. OP, you can pay out of your existing...

It's been mentioned before and I will state it again: whether you pay out your Tab and then use it to buy a new phone, or you get a new phone by topping up to your Tab limit, the upfront (out-of-pocket) cost to the buyer is the SAME. I was not discouraging OP to upgrade, I was simply doing math.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Woah there bud. Don't discourage the client from upgrading. OP, you can pay out of your existing...

The only real savings would be from tax, but the amount saved is so minute, it's not even worth it. Ultimately, the option is there for the customer. Some believe that paying off the tab to use all of it again makes sense.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

I'm okay with that. If people prefer to think of it one way rather than the other because it is easier to comprehend, then that is fine. It's rather disingenuous, however, to advocate one over the other if they are equivalent in nature. I mean, it's like telling someone, "it's better to pay with 4 quarters than with 10 dimes." What's the difference, except the number of coins?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

It's about perception. If you tell the customer they have to pay the difference in store for the new phone, it can be too much to handle all at once. If they can bill out their Tab, it becomes easier to deal with because it's essentially delaying the payment needed for a while, and that is a big deal to some people. I've literally lost sales over it so to me, it's a much better idea (and long overdue, since every other carrier does it this way).