Koodo Community

Community

Stop advertising unlimited MMS with talk/text Price plans

Userlevel 3
Let me tell you working first hand as a front line agent is informing customers MMS uses data. (Picture Messaging) I think koodo should charge pay per use as well as data for any MMS. Why advertise unlimited MMS when it uses data and will cause charges?! I think any MMS should only be included in data plans! Give this a star if you agree!

54 replies

Userlevel 2
It's unlimited in the sense that there is no actual charge for sending the MMS. Without unlimited messaging, pictures cost $0.50 to send. There isn't much Koodo can do about the requirement of mobile data being needed to send MMS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's not that simple mms is indeed free. Problem is mms requires mobile data to be turned on. However data leakage is the issue. It's A short coming of the technology. It would be nice of all plans included some data. However data leakage may be minimal . or it maybe ginormous depending on the background apps
Userlevel 2
Dennis wrote:

It's not that simple mms is indeed free. Problem is mms requires mobile data to be turned on. H...

Only thing that comes to mind is increase the initial "free" amount to 5 MB.
Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

It's not that simple mms is indeed free. Problem is mms requires mobile data to be turned on. H...

I say 10mb increase just to play it safe.
Userlevel 3
Dennis wrote:

May I add I've spoke with numerous people today getting charged for data when using MMs because they don't have data included with their price plan. I say from a business stand point why advertise something that is free but in the end you have to pay for anyway?DATA! To eliminate any discrepencies. I say charge $0.50 for any MMS for talk/text PP's plus any data use. But included unlimited MMS any data price plans. I think this would push more people to also get data priceplans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Most of that data is not from sending MMS, but because Android/iPhone/etc sneaks in a quick email download or other push notification. I wholeheartedly agree with being more lenient on the minimum data charge though 😃
Userlevel 2
Dennis wrote:

It can't work that way though. Unlimited Messaging is included in all of Koodo's rate plans now. The issue comes down to the fact that it's the data that costs, not the MMS.
Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

"getting charged for data when using MMs because they don't have data included" Not true. MMS data is not charged. For a customer who has unlimited messaging in the plan, the only data charged is anything OUTSIDE of the MMS being sent or received.
Dennis wrote:

I have TEXT and MMS included in my plan I watch the picture being sent and for a brief 10 seconds 4g comes on I am being charged for that WHY? When MMS should be free with my plan
Dennis wrote:

Is this unlimited messaging valid for sending messages internationaly....????
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

As long as you are in Canada, then Yes!
Userlevel 4
It comes down to agents like us explaining how unlimited mms works to the customers. There are many ways to avoid data leakage for the most part. Some phones make it unavoidable but there are always contingencies.
Well they are unlimited mms, what happend is that you need to keep the data on cause MMS are send through the internet through an addres this is FREE OF CHARGES and is not the same APN that you use on your phone to get in to the internet so there is no way for you to get charges for MMS services, the problem is that smartphones runs apps on the background and those require internet connection then is when you incur in data charges but is not because of the MMS service. Internet APN sp.koodo.com MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc PD you can check the address on here : http://koodomobile.com/en/on/switch2koodo-step-3-c.shtml
Userlevel 3
Malcom Holmes wrote:

Well they are unlimited mms, what happend is that you need to keep the data on cause MMS are send...

This doesn't answer the question! Those are just standard koodo apn settings which makes the data work. My question is why is koodo advertising unlimited MMS when you get charged data for it?! (1 of those read between the lines because we're going to charge you regardless)
Userlevel 4
Malcom Holmes wrote:

Well they are unlimited mms, what happend is that you need to keep the data on cause MMS are send...

http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/change_apn_to_disable_internet_while_enabling_mms_on_samsung_ace_2 This is a previous discussion how to alter the PANS to allow MMS but no outside data. Now, it works fine with Samsung phones but others have the probel of resetting to the defaults and opening up that door for all data access. LG is one that can reset to default PANs...just an example.
Userlevel 4
Malcom Holmes wrote:

Rocky...I have stated this before. You are not charged data for the MMS. All data charges are for outside sources from the MMS. "why is koodo advertising unlimited MMS when you get charged data for it?!"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Malcom Holmes wrote:

I always tturn data off when not using it. When I do receive an mms I try to be on wifi then turn on data to download the pic. Then I turn it back off. Works great when I had no data plan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
While the MMS messaging is indeed free, it really does confuse people. Highlighting that an active mobile data connection is required for MMS would go a long way.
Userlevel 3
Ivan wrote:

While the MMS messaging is indeed free, it really does confuse people. Highlighting that an activ...

Or at least make it clear to customers that MMS uses data which can cause data charges.....At least with the talk/text Price plans
Userlevel 4
Ivan wrote:

While the MMS messaging is indeed free, it really does confuse people. Highlighting that an activ...

MMS uses data that is NOT chargeable to the customer with unlimited messaging....
Userlevel 3
Ivan wrote:

thats not the point! You're being charged for data not MMS which is where the discrepency is
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

The data that is used from sending MMS is not charged. The data that is used from apps and such is what is charged. A better outline of data requiring MMS is needed and a bigger allowance of initial data use should be added. That's really the only 2 things that can be done here.
Userlevel 4
Ivan wrote:

Partially, it is the point. You want them to stop advertising a service that is unlimited because apparently it is not. Truth be told, it is unlimited as we all know. A better suggestion would be to have MMS be provisioned differently where data can stay on all the time but anything outside of MMS will NOT work. unless activated. It is up to the initial agent to tell the customers of this data issue when they get the phone as long as the rep is doing proper wording when finding out what the customer wants to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Let's not split hairs. We know that MMS use is unlimited and bears no additional cost but customers are not being made aware that this requires mobile data to be on. I'd just add something to be added that illustrates this point. If a customer signs up for a Talk and Text plan and doesn't want to have data on (for obvious reasons), they usually aren't happy when they find out that they need to have data enabled to get an unlimited feature that is advertised in their plan. They won't care that it's a technical requirement. They'll feel cheated nonetheless.
Userlevel 3
Ivan wrote:

very True Myke and a good suggestion to rectify this