Koodo Community

Community

Small/Medium Tabs are here

Userlevel 1
Koodo just announced its new Koodo Small/Medium Tabs https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html. All Canada-wide Data/Talk & Text Plans are available with Tab Small and Medium

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Says it's still down for me... not that it's news to me anyway since I had training at a Telus/Koodo roadshow a few days ago, but whatever!
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

Says it's still down for me... not that it's news to me anyway since I had training at a Telus/Ko...

This is now for real, no more speculations, Now it's up to Koodo to wait for existing and new customers reaction.
Userlevel 2
Maintenance is still ongoing. It was extended past 3 pm and there is currently no ETA for when it will be finished. This may cause certain pages to not be displayed. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 6
Well, the new plans and an explantion of the new Tabs ARE on the website, so it's officially public knowledge now. For all the good it does until the system upgrade is complete.
Userlevel 2
Good news, just received word that maintenance is complete. I would recommend waiting a bit to let everything settle though 🙂. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star
Userlevel 1
Well, everything went up in price, so it's hard to really feel much excitement over the new pricing of the plans and the new tab system. One question I do have is when my current tab is gone, given that I'm on an old promo $30 Canada-wide data, can I still qualify for a tab medium for my next phone?
Userlevel 6
Well, I will admit it, I was waiting to see what the new monthly plans would look like before purchasing more boosters for my prepaid service. When the website went back up and I could see the extent of the devastation, I promptly purchased my boosters with renewed confidence. Now, Koodo, please do more publicity for your prepaid service. A friend of mine was here this afternoon. We checked out the news plans, he laughed. I showed him Koodo prepaid, and he ported out from Fido monthly to Koodo prepaid on the spot (I had spare prepaid SIMs). That gives you an indication about how non-Koodo customers react. Promote prepaid more now that monthly's been ravaged!
Userlevel 2
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Well, I will admit it, I was waiting to see what the new monthly plans would look like before pur...

Probably a good idea. The post paid plans are pretty horrible right now imo. The medium & large tab plans are even worse, especially when you factor in the additional out of pocket monthly fee. When you take this into consideration, the competition (Virgin/Fido) are a pretty clear winner (no additional fees, comparable plans, no quantifying plans for a $300 tab, access to 'premium' services, etc). From what I can tell, Koodo's prepaid offerings are at lease on par, if not better then what the other guys offer, so it makes sense to focus on that imo.
Userlevel 6

Well, I will admit it, I was waiting to see what the new monthly plans would look like before pur...

Yep! Another thing I'd like to see is a new MVNO stepping up and offer service-only plans, like I had suggested a couple of months ago. I'm talking something like VoIP.ms, but for cellphones. Let us handle the device part, no subsidies, not even phone offerings, cut the fat. BYOD only but with killer monthly plans! I'd even do away with customer service altogether as long as the website allows complete control over the account, and a service status frame on the website that updates every 5 minutes which shows the current cell network state (for troubleshooting the issues ourselves). Seriously, I've been doing just that on VoIP.ms for my landline since 2010 and I have no complaints. I wouldn't mind being able to do the same for my cell service, and pocket the savings!
Userlevel 2

It's kind of crazy what Koodo is doing here, with the new tabs and qualifying plans. People asked for Koodo to increase the tab previously, just a simple increase to bring it inline with what Virgin offered. Instead, to get this increased tab someone must commit to a $5 ot $10 monthly recurring fee, and a qualifying plan that could be as much as $20 more then it's 'regular' tab equivalent. So that increase of $150 to someones tab could actually cost them as much as $300 out of pocket per year when you factor in the monthly fee and the premium put on the 'medium' and 'large' plans. When you consider what Virgin offers, the value in the new Koodo system just isn't there. I'd love to see Koodo do something for BYOD customers, although after seeing what happened when people asked for an increase in the tab, I'm scared to ask lol
Userlevel 6

Agreed 100% mattjs! I won't be asking for anything anymore, and will live happily on prepaid 😛 That is, until they retire prepaid because..... hey, profits! 😞 Everytime I wished Koodo did adjustments, it was never aimed at the Tab system (except for making it unlimited in the +). I wanted better plans, and leave the Tab like it was. Well, we got served: worse plans, and a larger Tab to accomodate that $100 hike on the S4 price. 😞
For months I have watch time and time again "give us more tab to use" "increase this, increase that" "make getting a high end phone more affordable". Ask and ye shall receive. This is what you guys wanted and this is what you got. You know the same "becareful what you wish for"? You asked and Koodo delivered. So really, anyone that wanted this, has no right to complain about the way Koodo is doing this. Let's not forget that no one is forcing you to purchase a high end phone. I am definitely of the mind set "save up if you want something expensive". So I applaud Koodo for listening to their customers and doing something with the tab that makes it easier to get that high end phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarioB wrote:

For months I have watch time and time again "give us more tab to use" "increase this, increase th...

While I applaud koodo for providing additional options for customers who want higher end phones, I can't say I'm impressed that the lowest cost plan is now $30. Pretty sure this is going to have a major negative impact on postpaid sales and push a lot of customers either to prepaid or to other companies.
Userlevel 6
MarioB wrote:

For months I have watch time and time again "give us more tab to use" "increase this, increase th...

You're absolutely right Timo. On prepaid myself, and staying right where I am for as long as this madness goes on.
Userlevel 1
MarioB wrote:

Phones price did change little bit though!
Userlevel 7
Honestly, the only really positive thing I'm taking away from this so far is that the original Tab (now "small") is still available to everyone and it's at 15% contribution, not 10. They didn't take anything away, they just added stuff. Yes the plans aren't as good but remember: these were promotional for a few months now. They just took away the double minutes/data and increased the prices a little. It sucks having the cheapest plan be $30 though, I'm going to have a tough time selling customers who want a phone for their kid that plan as Mobile Shop doesn't handle prepaid. 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Honestly, the only really positive thing I'm taking away from this so far is that the original Ta...

I wonder if Koodo's marketing gurus realize how big a psychological threshold they're crossing by raising the cheapest plan from $25 to $30.
I have a question if you have a $30 plan with the Medium tab $4.50 would come from the 15%. $5 would come from your monthly contribution giving a total on $9.50 a month. so $4.50+$5=$9.50. now $9.50x24=228 that's $72 shy of the $300 on the medium tab does Koodo just wipe that $72 away?
Userlevel 2
Jeff Crouse wrote:

I have a question if you have a $30 plan with the Medium tab $4.50 would come from the 15%. $5 wo...

It's 15% of your bill amount, not just the rate plan, unless you have just the rate plan and no other addons or overages.
Jeff Crouse wrote:

I have a question if you have a $30 plan with the Medium tab $4.50 would come from the 15%. $5 wo...

exactly my point I scooped up the $30 promo plan with 200mb and 150anytime minuets so i never go over my plan would that $72 just be absorbed by koodo
Userlevel 2
Jeff Crouse wrote:

You don't get the 15% if you did a rate plan change before July 14.
Jeff Crouse wrote:

I know but if i went in today and got the Nexus 4 on the tab medium i would get the 15% so my question still stands does koodo wipe that extra $72 away?
Jeff Crouse wrote:

I talked with a Koodo rep and they said Koodo would pay the tab balance after 24 months.
i came on to ask a question but found an answeer and stumbled on this thred. I've been with koodo because i could grab a phone on kijiji and then get a cheap plan to go with it because they didnt have to discount a phone for me. luckily i grabbed the 45 dollar plan a while ago but its a shame that now, people who get their own phone have to suffer because koodo is attempting to please people who would be better suited to the parent company. anyway, just a thought
Userlevel 1
Dan W wrote:

i came on to ask a question but found an answeer and stumbled on this thred. I've been with koodo...

Yeah, I'm thinking of going the buy my own phone route. I'm considering if I should jump ship to Virgin and grab the $39 plan while it's around with the 10% discount and just buy my own phones from now on. I'd hate to leave Koodo, but the whole reason they became so attractive is gone now. Like you said, the simple Tab system was fine, I was personally happy with it, it was a good balance, but now to make the new system work, everybody has to pay. Anyhow, it is what it is. They've set their new standards and I have to make a decision as a consumer.