Koodo Community
Solved

Set up account for someone

• 18 January 2021
  • 18 replies

I’d like to get my  mother using an LG Stylus I’m giving her instead of the  Alcatel flip phone she’s  currenty using. I’m logged into her account and trying to order a SIM card but it’s saying that what I’m trying to do (i.e. bring my own phone) “Isn’t available online,” so I have to go to a store. Is this right? If so, why can’t I just order the SIM and get her going with the smartphone? ANy help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

icon

Best answer by JohnM Koodo 18 January 2021, 18:21

Try flipping the SIM’s if they fit then that should solve things. If not then I can have an agent reach out to the account holder, and you will have to be on the call with her. For privacy reasons we cannot have a third party dictate account actions without the primary account holder in the loop. 

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am not really sure what you were trying to do. Are you looking to buy a LG stylus with your mom account? 

I looked into the webstore page, I didn't see neither the lg stylus and Alcatel available. Those phones might be out of stock online.  If possible could you post a snapshot of the page that telling you to visit a store? (hide/delete all personal information before posting pls). 

Hi Dinh,

Thanks for responding. She had opted for the Alcatel Go Flip (I just saw it displayed online among the available phone options) a few years ago.  She’s got an entry level plan that’s about $25/mo. I’d like to give her my own LG Stylus now that I have a new phone and get her hooked up to use it instead of her flip cellphone.

I’m not with Koodo myself so I don’t know all the rules and restrictions, but I figured it should be easy to change the plan and order a SIM car for her to use in the LG. Or can I just take the SIM out of her flip phone and insert it in the Stylus? Would that work? Maybe I don’t need to do more than that and switch her to a data plan?  I have no idea and the website doesn’t help whatsoever.

Here’s a screen cap to show you the page:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The option in the screenshot above was the purchase of a postpaid SIM. It wasn’t a phone. They asked customer to visit a Koodo location to get it. That option was for customer who needed a SIM replacement.

From your description, Yes, you could take the SIM out of the Alcatel and put into the new stylus.

Was your LG Stylus unlocked? if it wasn’t unlocked, you could contact your carrier and get it unlocked (for free).

Hi Dinh,

That’s good to know. Thank you for yyour response! So, just to be clear, I can just remove the SIM from her flip phone, put it into the LG Stylus, and she’s good to go?

Best,

Michael

I just tried calling the Koodo phone support (8 times!) and it usually lets me go so far as to enter my number, asks me to choose options to speak with someone and then says “Goodbye.” I’ve tried the online interface again and it’s equally frustrating. If you want to “Bring your own phone” you need to add it to the cart:

Instructions...

But then, it’s not even an option:

So easy… lol

I can’t speak with anyone at their 1-866 number and the online shopping isn’t an option. What next?

Can anyone help? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I've flagged a Rep for you

Thank you, Robert T!  :sunglasses:

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Have you placed a Koodo order within the last 90 days?

Hi John,

Pretty sure she hasn’t and bills always paid on time. :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Okay so I believe the issue is that your mother is on a Tab plan while BYOD plans have no Tab, Would she be interested in having a phone rep reach out to her to assist with the transfer from her existing device to the new one you are giving her?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If they use same size SIM, then she can just take SIM out from flip phone and put it on  LG Stylus.

They need a SIM if it's use different size of SIM, 

Am I missing something here...?

John: Thanks for the offer. Could the rep connect with me so that I can get things organized for her? I have access to her online account and details (credit card number, etc.). I’m hoping to make this as painless for her as possible. It’s already taken a lot of time and effort for me, and I’m reasonably tech-savvy, so I think it would be a lot of confusion for her.

Mayumi: thanks for responding. I hope I can just move the SIM from the flip phone to the new one and then just change plans, but this is looking impossible for whatever reason. :rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Try flipping the SIM’s if they fit then that should solve things. If not then I can have an agent reach out to the account holder, and you will have to be on the call with her. For privacy reasons we cannot have a third party dictate account actions without the primary account holder in the loop. 

Sounds good, John. I’ll try swapping the SIM either tomorrow or Wednesday and reach out again when that’s done.. Thank you for your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds good, John. I’ll try swapping the SIM either tomorrow or Wednesday and reach out again when that’s done.. Thank you for your help! 

After swapping the SIM, you need to restart her phone. :). And hopefully everything work 

Mayumi, thank you. If it works, then I’ll just have to find a way to switch her to a new plan with data.  I appreciate your help and suggestions! :blossom:

A rep called me and set us up. Thanks to all who responded and provided helpful feedback and support. Have a fabulous day!