Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Sell me a SIM card for later activation

Userlevel 4
Please let me buy a SIM card (I'll pay for it) without activating it right away. I would like to have one at my disposal in case a) one of my current SIM-cards gets lost/stolen/breaks down or b) I want to activate a new line very quickly. In such a case I would call in (or one day maybe even use an online tool) to activate that SIM card. I asked for that a while ago but was told I could not buy a SIM card without activating it right away.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
You are allowed to purchase a SIM card without activating it. The rep was probably misinformed at the time
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They can be purchased without activating right away, but based on what I have seen they expire if not activated within 3 months of purchase, just as you cannot reactivate a sim after it has been off your account longer than 3 months.
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

They can be purchased without activating right away, but based on what I have seen they expire if...

Timo, I believe they only expire after 90 days only after they've been activated once. For brand new cards, I don't believe there is any sort of expiry. I activated a microSIM that was *at least* 6 months old (came new with the phone, but used my old one) on Self-Serve and it went without any problem. What I haven't been able to do though is re-activate an old used SIM that had been inactive for months (more like a year). However, Jorden and Kid Android confirmed to me that used SIMs can be reactivated within 90 days. Hope it helps!
Userlevel 7
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

They can be purchased without activating right away, but based on what I have seen they expire if...

Woah, that's weird! Has it happened to customers before?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

It has definitely happened. Granted, the only proof I have that the sim had never been activated is the customer's word, which is often less than accurate.
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The old SIM that I successfully activated was still brand new, never used. My other, used SIM went inactive for close to a year and could not be reactivated. All done via Self-Serve.
Userlevel 5
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Yeah Timo, I'd assume the client either lied (or didn't know) about the sim being activated. The Rep might have activated it and swapped the old one back on or something at the store as well. The reason I don't think that the 90 day thing applies before they are activated is how do you account for all the sims after they are manufactured before their sold, are they a ticking time bomb until they're 3 months old? Some of the partners (Best Buy, etc.) inventory/sales systems wouldn't be tied directly to Koodo so if they sold one there wouldn't be any notice to Koodo to start counting down either... Just doesn't seem likely to me as it would generate waste.
Userlevel 4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

So I can buy a SIM now without know which account/phone number it will be used for?
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Yes, because you can activate it yourself on Self-Serve. It is then tied to your account only, it is not dependent on the phone used.
Userlevel 4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I can not find a "swap SIM" or "activate new SIM" option in Self Serve. If I wanted to add a new line ot the account, there is an "add a subscriber" link, but it is inoperable. It leads to an error message.
Userlevel 6
@Daniel AJ: Here's where the option is in Self-Serve

Userlevel 7
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

@Daniel AJ: Here's where the option is in Self-Serve [img]https://d1qy7qyune0vt1.clou...

Thanks, TopperCNC. Pretty easy find 🙂
Userlevel 6

@Daniel AJ: Here's where the option is in Self-Serve [img]https://d1qy7qyune0vt1.clou...

Happy to help!
Userlevel 6

This is actually the second most important reason why I'm a Koodo subscriber. I can do almost everything online in Self-Serve. I hate to call any company for the same reasons as everyone else, but Koodo I don't have to call, they allow me to do it online. I don't waste time, they don't waste time, win-win. The first reason I'm with Koodo, of course, is the price/plan ratio :oP
Userlevel 7

Koodo and Telus, in my opinion, have the best self-serve out there. You can do almost anything
Userlevel 4

Ah, thank you!