Koodo Community
Solved

Self-serve locked... suspicious activitiy

• 3 November 2020
  • 9 replies

We have learned that there have been recent attempts to login to your account using valid credentials (your username and password) that originated from a suspicious source.

------

I just had my self-serve locked and recieved an email that said it was locked due to suspicious login with valid credentials. I changed my password and am currently back in.

Is there a way to see details of what 'suspicious source' attempted to log in? Would logging in via a VPN be considered suspicious? I was able to log in yesterday (no VPN) and I haven't used a VPN to log in for a few weeks or more.

Just kind of baffled considering I use a unique email/username and unique 25+ character randomized password. Both the email and password are Koodo specific and not used with any other service.

icon

Best answer by Goran 3 November 2020, 19:55

No idea what could have flagged it. I regularly use a VPN and the only times i might have issues is if I'm out of country or have it set out of country and even then typically not. I don't think that using a VPN in general is an issue with Koodo

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No idea what could have flagged it. I regularly use a VPN and the only times i might have issues is if I'm out of country or have it set out of country and even then typically not. I don't think that using a VPN in general is an issue with Koodo

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just had my self-serve locked and recieved an email that said it was locked due to suspicious login with valid credentials. I changed my password and am currently back in.

Where was the e-mail from? Might be phishing scams.

Where was the e-mail from? Might be phishing scams.

It’s not.  I looked in the header.  A lot of people on reddit /r/koodo had the same problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Interesting. Definitely something going on. good thing everything is under control. Will ask around to see what happened.

same here. I got the same email and my account was locked. I too never resuse any of my passwords. I called into Koodo and they said security flag a whole bunch of accounts and locked them. Another customer rep said his last 4 calls were all about this.

My suspicion is there was a big hacking attempt on koodo. I hope there was no data breach. I think Koodo owe us an explanation of what happened as it seemed to be quite wide spread.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/11/04/koodo-locked-accounts-credential-stuffing/

This is BS. My credentials were not leaked from another breach.  Liars.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you believe that it is a lie, then i highly recommend you move to a carrier that you believe is more honest with your personal info.  it is not worth the risk when it comes to your personal info

If you believe that it is a lie, then i highly recommend you move to a carrier that you believe is more honest with your personal info.  it is not worth the risk when it comes to your personal info

It’s not that I believe they’re lying.  It’s fact.  New account created at the end of September.  A Koodo specific email address that I’ve used no where else.  And a Koodo specific randomly generated strong password that I’ve used no where else.

If I was to switch every time a company lies I couldn’t have service anywhere.  Instead I’ll stay and call out their lies.  If you would prefer keep your head in the sand when they lie then ignore my post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s not that I believe they’re lying.  It’s fact.  New account created at the end of September.  A Koodo specific email address that is being used no where else.  And a Koodo specific randomly generated strong password.  If I was to switch every time a company lies I couldn’t have service anywhere.  Instead I’ll stay and call out their lies.

Um… i mean that sounds a bit foolish to stay with a company that lies to you about your possible exposure of your personal info.  But you do you.  The only way to get companies to change is to speak with your wallet honestly.  Or you may want to share your story with Mobilesyrup