Koodo Community
Solved

Purchasing Christmas Gift

• 10 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I am wanting to purchase a phone for someone's Christmas gift.

Do I need to activate it right away, or can they use their old phone until they receive the new one at Christmas?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Dennis 11 November 2020, 03:13

Phones are the worst gift unless you are paying entirely for the phone for them.

Can you clarify how you are getting the phone and how the account situation works? Is the phone on a tab?  Is it on your tab or on their tab?

Thanks Dennis,

It is for my husband! I would have the phone shipped to me, and his line is on my account, so it would be a tab situation that we would just pay off on our normal phone bill. 

Since it is your account on an existing line, you can get the phone and then use it later on.  Your husband will not know anything is amiss and his phone will work like normal.

Just note that once you order the phone you will be paying for the tab right away.  This means the trial period for returns, and warranty will start right away too.

Also you may want to upgrade a plan to any promotional plan they have right now too as promo plans are usually only available to existing customers when they upgrade on a tab.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Phones are the worst gift unless you are paying entirely for the phone for them.

Can you clarify how you are getting the phone and how the account situation works? Is the phone on a tab?  Is it on your tab or on their tab?

Userlevel 1

Thanks Dennis,

It is for my husband! I would have the phone shipped to me, and his line is on my account, so it would be a tab situation that we would just pay off on our normal phone bill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks Dennis,

Since it is your account on an existing line, you can get the phone and then use it later on.  Your husband will not know anything is amiss and his phone will work like normal.

Just note that once you order the phone you will be paying for the tab right away.  This means the trial period for returns, and warranty will start right away too.

Also you may want to upgrade a plan to any promotional plan they have right now too as promo plans are usually only available to existing customers when they upgrade on a tab.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Dennis,

Thanks so much!

The plans we have right now, are actually better than what is on the website 🙂 I am planning on waiting until black friday to see if there are any deals on the specific phone he is interested in.

Appreciate the info!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks so much!

The plans we have right now, are actually better than what is on the website 🙂 I am planning on waiting until black friday to see if there are any deals on the specific phone he is interested in.

Appreciate the info!

Good plan!

I would be careful waiting to long to order. I ordered a phone October 29th and it has still not shipped!! I’m hoping it comes soon. And good luck trying to find someone to talk to about it. I have tried tracking and all it says is status approved and that it hasn’t shipped 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would be careful waiting to long to order. I ordered a phone October 29th and it has still not shipped!! I’m hoping it comes soon. And good luck trying to find someone to talk to about it. I have tried tracking and all it says is status approved and that it hasn’t shipped 

What phone did you order?

This seems like a pretty big downside to ordering phones as gifts. Order on Black Friday and the trial period is basically over by Christmas? And if you try and wait, there's a risk the phone you want won't be available, or won't arrive in time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This seems like a pretty big downside to ordering phones as gifts. Order on Black Friday and the trial period is basically over by Christmas? And if you try and wait, there's a risk the phone you want won't be available, or won't arrive in time?

There are extended holiday return periods if you buy the phone in store if you want to go that route. (I haven't heard anything about online orders yet)