Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Porting phone number before changing it

I would need an informed opinion on the following scenario. My current Koodo phone number has an area code from Montreal. I’m relocating to Toronto. I’d like to change my phone number to a number from Toronto area code (which I believe I can easily do online with Koodo self-serve service?) but I would like all calls made to the old, Montreal area code number to be forwarded to the new Toronto number. I beleive that I can do that by “porting” my current number to a service such a CallCentric or voip.ms, am I correct? What would be the step to follow? 1) Port the current number; 2) wait for the porting to take effect (couple of days); 3) then ask Koodo for a number in the Toronto area? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! I’m new to all this. Got my first cell phone only a couple of weeks ago.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Philippe, when you port your number out, you automatically cancel your line with Koodo. What you want is not possible,,, you can only change your number or port a new number in, but either way you'd lose your old number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Philippe, when you port your number out, you automatically cancel your line with Koodo. What ...

The only other option is to add a new line to your account with an Ontario number, and close the old account by porting out, but you'd have to pay off your entire tab then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can do it backwards: get a new Toronto number from CallCentric or other VoIP and have those Toronto calls forwarded to your unchanged Montreal number without having to port your number, pay off your tab or abandon your current plan for something less generous in Ontario.

None of your current contacts or newer Toronto ones will be discouraged to call you by long di$tance charge$. Buy a SIP box hooked up to your home internet and you have a landline at home with the Toronto number as well.

Bon voyage. Feel free to ask any further questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You can do it backwards: get a new Toronto number from CallCentric or other VoIP and have those T...

Check out Chad's instructions in the other thread you posted:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/disconnect-and-forward-home-phone-to-cellphone

BobTheElectrician wrote:

You can do it backwards: get a new Toronto number from CallCentric or other VoIP and have those T...

Thank you all for the comments. Thanks Bob: the advice is interesting and CHad’s instructions a clear and easy to follow. With all this, I’ll manage to find a suitable solution!