Koodo Community
Question

porting new phone

• 14 October 2021
  • 4 replies

When I received my new phone and SIM card do I have to set it up and then port to get my old number transferred or do I do the porting and then setup the phone. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Set it up first. Once it's activated, register for self-serve, and then in self-serve you can port your number over to Koodo. That way you won't have a service interruption.

We have already set up the self serve and went into manage phone #, transfer # etc as it did not say set up new cell first. So now what do we do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We have already set up the self serve and went into manage phone #, transfer # etc as it did not say set up new cell first. So now what do we do?

Just hold off on transferring until you get your koodo sim. Otherwise you will transfer your number to a sim that you don't have yet and won't be able to use your number 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to clarify what others have said, porting the number through serve before the phone is set up won't cause any problems with the port itself. Your account with your former provider will stop working as soon as the port is complete though, so if you haven't received the sim card yet you may find yourself without service until you do.