Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone swap

I want to swap phones with my wife. Problem is hers is micro sim, mine is full size sim. What is the cheapest way for me to accomplish this? Both are Koodo but separate accounts.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unless somebody has a better solution, I guess your best option is to purchase two empty SIM cards of each size: https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/accessories/index.html Then activate the micro SiM with your account, and the normal SIM with hers... It'll set you back $20 but I can't think of a cheaper option! Edit 1: I guess you could cut yours (there are several online tutorials) - if all goes well, good, if not, you can always purchase a new SIM 🙂 Edit 2: I even found a tutorial how to convert a micro sim into a normal one 😃 http://gizmodo.com/5539485/how-to-make-a-diy-micro-sim-to-sim-adapter Hope you are brave, haha!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Unless somebody has a better solution, I guess your best option is to purchase two empty SIM card...

You can also buy an adapter online or from someone cell shops that turns a micro SIM into a full sized SIM to make her SIM work with your phone, I do suggest just going and buying 2 new ones personally as some ppl have run into issues with the adapters getting caught in their phones and damaging the contacts in the SIM slot.
Sophia wrote:

Unless somebody has a better solution, I guess your best option is to purchase two empty SIM card...

I have done both, ie cut a larger SIM card to replace a small (micro) card and use an adapter for a nano card to a regular SIM card. As long as you are carefull (I used a cardboard nail filer to smoothe edges), you should be able to do it. I bought mine from Canada cellpjone shop: Nano-SIM Card and Micro-SIM Card Adapter cat # TRA-NANSIMADA @ 0.99$ (ON SALE!) + 2.99$ SHIPPING.
Cutting it it'd very simple. Just use your current micro Sim as a template. Just make sure you line it up with the edge of the contact and not the sides of the Sim (the plastic part)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Be careful when using micro-to-mini SIM adapters, as they can snag a contact pin in the SIM tray and break it, which will essentially remove your phone's ability to be a phone - no calls, texts, or mobile data. This can be a complicated repair, depending on the phone model (some trays are soldered onto the logic board instead of being modular components).