Koodo Community

Community

Note on self serve that you need to call in to change/register a new sim card

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since the ability to change or register a new sim card has been disabled by Koodo, some text indicating that the only way to do this is to contact Koodo directly would be helpful

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ot just put that option in chat!!
Userlevel 7
I doubt they will let it go to Chat if they can't assure it to be secure in self serve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

I doubt they will let it go to Chat if they can't assure it to be secure in self serve.

I dont buy that is is a fraud/security issue.  I just think they forgot to move that functionality over.

I dont see how over the phone is much more secure than over chat since the person can already login to self serve and view all kinds of information
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

I'm for returning this to Self Serve as well. If they have access to Self Serve, they can just as easily call in.
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Dennis, it is always the same windows. They just deactivate it, bring it back in, deactivate it, bring it back in, etc. I doubt that they forgot to move it over.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would let the option open in self-serve before, but when someone click on it, the webpage will pop up and say "call 611 or send message to facebook with ... to complete the process"

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I would let the option open in self-serve before, but when someone click on it, the webpage will ...

That would work as well.  They can even have an option in their IVR
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I would let the option open in self-serve before, but when someone click on it, the webpage will ...

This will let the users know the option is not missing but was temporarily disabled.

Putting on the front page self-serve is like an "amber alert", later someone could request to put overdue amount on it also...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmmmm....very odd folks. I will have the team check this out. We had the banner and message that told people they need to call, but now I can seem to find it my self either. 

And just to confirm....it was indeed removed because of fraud. Trust me folks, we want this available to everyone online, so it's not something we would decide to pull for no reason. :-) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Hmmmm....very odd folks. I will have the team check this out. We had the banner and message that ...

And how will calling in prevent fraud anymore than facebook chat or doing it on self serve?
Bernard wrote:

Hmmmm....very odd folks. I will have the team check this out. We had the banner and message that ...

Fraud with changing SIM Cards? That is ridiculous. And somehow calling in with a 4-6 digit pin is more secure than a password?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

There must be cases of fraud, using that SIM change tool, that Koodo wanted to stop. It could be a step in a complex process. I thought You-Know-Who, would know all and provide good intel for us. I don't know PIN would do anything here? what fraud are you talking about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

I won't be able to get into the details of the fraud that took place for obvious reasons. Can anyone, including Mr. You-Know-Who, offer up a rational thought around why on earth would we want to remove this our online portal?
Bernard wrote:

Azure123, I don't have insider information. I get my information by abusing things, which is very easy and basically the only reason I am still a customer. I can say I even used the SIM Card change tool for purposes other than what it was intended for.

The only fraud that I can think of would be that people are "hacking" into other people's Koodo accounts, changing the SIM Card, and then using that to get free phone service, or make mobile purchases, or get verification codes from other institutions. If that is it, then how about you add some kind of protection like asking for the account PIN instead of completely removing the tool? The PIN is the only protection when calling in anyway.

Rational reason:
Created a bug that is worse than all the other bugs you have had for years, couldn't fix it, and removed the functionality until you fix the bug.

"We had the banner and message that told people they need to call, but now I can seem to find it my self either."
I don't remember seeing any banner ever, but cool.

(According to some people, the number transfer functionality is also screwed up on Self Serve. I can't test it right now, but will see it on Monday.) Actually, here you go, I just saw this question: https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/changing-my-number-hac1djon3nho4 LOL 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

You-know-who aka... not Voldemort (jk), I don't think that is the case with stealing number for financial gains, as it would require coordinated hacking on the banking side. This type of attacks are rare and many carriers are vulnerable. I don't think the Koodo SIM change disability was caused by that as other carriers are still allowing it.

I don't feel funny when I saw people had trouble with Koodo system, I would just let Koodo employees resolve it and everyone is happy in the end. Laughing will not help anyone, except more chaos.
Bernard wrote:

I don't see a reason to remove it. As mentioned - increase the security feature required. Require the PIN to do the changeover or something. Doesn't make sense. Had a friend spend an hour on hold to get his sim switched when he bought a new phone. Used to take 3 minutes online thru self serve!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Unfortunately no amount of security functions will prevent social engineering and the likes that contribute to a significant part of most frauds around the world.