Koodo Community
Question

New iPhone 8 DOA - cant return to store because it was purchased through self serve?

• 24 July 2019
  • 6 replies

I received my new iPhone which I ordered on self serve after my old phone broke on the weekend. Out of the box, it began doing set up, then required a software update. From there it has been stuck on the black screen with apple icon. After 2 hours on the phone with apple support, it could not be solved so I am forced to send it back and as a result, phoneless for what im guessing will be a week at minimum, likely longer because I cant swap it out at a koodo store.

Is there a reason a phone cant be swapped out at a physical store in a situation like this where it is literally brand new? It seems very inconvenient from a customer perspective, especially when people generally purchase a new phone because they no longer have one that functions properly. I chose to buy a new phone rather than fix the old one to save time, but instead I have to wait for a label, send it back, then have a new phone sent to me after they receive the one I sent (thats an additional 3-5 days x3 for those keeping score).

Really wish I bought in store now instead of online! lesson learned.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The reason is that the 2 kind of operate independently of each other.

If you are looking for a return, you need to go through the webstore. If you are looking for a repair or an exchange, you can go through the apple store. Note that exchanges will be completed by Apple with the certified refurbished phones. It will not be new, sealed in box.

Note the webstore will not exchange it. You can return it (if within 15 days) and then buy another one.
Userlevel 3
If it is a brand new phone you should be able to bring to an Apple store directly for repairs/replacement.
The reason is that the 2 kind of operate independently of each other.
If you are looking for a return, you need to go through the webstore. If you are looking for a repair or an exchange, you can go through the apple store. Note that exchanges will be completed by Apple with the certified refurbished phones. It will not be new, sealed in box.
Note the webstore will not exchange it. You can return it (if within 15 days) and then buy another one.

you are correct - it just doesn't make sense that the right hand wont talk to the left hand under the Koodo brand. If I buy something online from CT, I can return it in store because they are the same entity.

through the web store I had 2 options; return it for a refund or exchange for a new phone since the issue occurred on day 1. In both cases, I have to wait for the return slip/box, then mail it back, then either receive the refund or they send out a new phone.

Apple wanted to send it to one of their centers for further testing which would have taken even longer and who knows if a defective unit will continue to be defective down the line..

I think my whole point is if koodo had a suggestion box, I would say that they should have some integration between the brick and mortar as I don't think Koodo is sending out a lot of DOA phones and it goes a long way on the customer experience side. I'm probably a little bitter because I use my phone for work and this will make my life difficult until it arrives.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The reason is that the 2 kind of operate independently of each other.If you are looking for a return, you need to go through the webstore. If you are looking for a repair or an exchange, you can go through the apple store. Note that exchanges will be completed by Apple with the certified refurbished phones. It will not be new, sealed in box. Note the webstore will not exchange it. You can return it (if within 15 days) and then buy another one.you are correct - it just doesn't make sense that the right hand wont talk to the left hand under the Koodo brand. If I buy something online from CT, I can return it in store because they are the same entity. through the web store I had 2 options; return it for a refund or exchange for a new phone since the issue occurred on day 1. In both cases, I have to wait for the return slip/box, then mail it back, then either receive the refund or they send out a new phone. Apple wanted to send it to one of their centers for further testing which would have taken even longer and who knows if a defective unit will continue to be defective down the line.. I think my whole point is if koodo had a suggestion box, I would say that they should have some integration between the brick and mortar as I don't think Koodo is sending out a lot of DOA phones and it goes a long way on the customer experience side. I'm probably a little bitter because I use my phone for work and this will make my life difficult until it arrives.

Are you living close to any Apple store? they might be able to check for you. Apple is quite good at it. You can book an appointment online. The diagnosis could be only 1hour or less. They might give you a replacement there.

If you follow Koodo process, then you would have to wait through all the mailing and Apple/koodo hand-off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The reason is that the 2 kind of operate independently of each other.If you are looking for a return, you need to go through the webstore. If you are looking for a repair or an exchange, you can go through the apple store. Note that exchanges will be completed by Apple with the certified refurbished phones. It will not be new, sealed in box.
you are correct - it just doesn't make sense that the right hand wont talk to the left hand under the Koodo brand. If I buy something online from CT, I can return it in store because they are the same entity.

through the web store I had 2 options; return it for a refund or exchange for a new phone since the issue occurred on day 1. In both cases, I have to wait for the return slip/box, then mail it back, then either receive the refund or they send out a new phone.

Apple wanted to send it to one of their centers for further testing which would have taken even longer and who knows if a defective unit will continue to be defective down the line..

I think my whole point is if koodo had a suggestion box, I would say that they should have some integration between the brick and mortar as I don't think Koodo is sending out a lot of DOA phones and it goes a long way on the customer experience side. I'm probably a little bitter because I use my phone for work and this will make my life difficult until it arrives.

Yeah, Koodo's systems and processes are quite rudimentary
Well - I must give credit where credit is due. To my surprise, my return box showed up today with a new iPhone in it. Overall it was much more efficient than I had previously thought and only took a couple of days. I retract my 1 week comment.

Thanks koodo!