Koodo Community
Solved

Moving phone number with BYOD plan and SIM Card Purchase

I’m just trying to understand the whole process of transferring phone from one provider to the other. 

If I am bringing my own phone that is active at a different provider, once I purchase any of the BYOD plan (i.e. Koodo SIM card) online, will the customer service then able to transfer my existing phone number to Koodo?

Is the monthly payment start at the first day of activation of the SIM card?  Is it once you insert the card in your phone or when you activate it via customer service?

Thank you for the help!

icon

Best answer by Dinh 2 May 2020, 22:09

Hi

You can buy a number/SIM from Koodo through their webstore. You would have to select an available plan from Koodo (you are considered as a new customer in Koodo system). After receiving your activation email and having access to your selfserve, you can transfer your number using your selfserve https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

The bill starts from the date you receive their activation email (not from the date you put the SIM into your phone).

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi

You can buy a number/SIM from Koodo through their webstore. You would have to select an available plan from Koodo (you are considered as a new customer in Koodo system). After receiving your activation email and having access to your selfserve, you can transfer your number using your selfserve https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

The bill starts from the date you receive their activation email (not from the date you put the SIM into your phone).

Hi Dinh,

Can moving a phone number from a different provider to Koodo be done also through self-serve? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Dinh,

Can moving a phone number from a different provider to Koodo be done also through self-serve? 

Yes, It was mentioned above in the link….

Oops sorry! I misunderstood when I first read it. Thanks!

Hi

You can buy a number/SIM from Koodo through their webstore. You would have to select an available plan from Koodo (you are considered as a new customer in Koodo system). After receiving your activation email and having access to your selfserve, you can transfer your number using your selfserve https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

This doesn’t make sense, how can you charge a customer a fee for using your service when they haven’t even received their SIM card yet? What happens if the SIM card gets lost in the mail or the customer doesn’t receive it for a week, two weeks or longer for whatever reason?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don’t like it either. However, you can request a credit if such things happen.

I don’t like it either. However, you can request a credit if such things happen.

We weren’t able to activate our card for 2 months for personal reasons and the rep on the phone essentially told us that it is our fault and that we should have called sooner. 

It is unfortunate because we heard Koodo had good customer service, but this is clearly wrong. We will just cancel our phone plans, call the CRTC and not pay and make sure it doesn’t get taken to collections.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We weren’t able to activate our card for 2 months for personal reasons and the rep on the phone essentially told us that it is our fault and that we should have called sooner. 

It is unfortunate because we heard Koodo had good customer service, but this is clearly wrong. We will just cancel our phone plans, call the CRTC and not pay and make sure it doesn’t get taken to collections.

What do you meant by “weren’t able to activate for 2 months”.?  Did Canada post deliver late by 2 months?

What do you meant by “weren’t able to activate for 2 months”.?  Did Canada post deliver late by 2 months?

For personal reasons we were unable to do it, but now we can and we tried to explain that to the rep, but he essentially called us lazy and that we should have called when we first got the sim card. 

My wife has already spoke with the CRTC and put in a complaint and they are investigating Koodos activation process because it is essentially stealing from customers even if it is only for the 2 days that people have to wait for their sim card in the mail. 

It’s not right, it’s never specified in the agreement, unfair and shady business practices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo pre-activates your sim based on when your sim is estimated to arrive at your address in the mail.

Sometimes the postal service gets delayed  and Koodo would gladly credit you for that delay.

However, if you purposefully delay using the sim card on your own accord, then no you wont get a credit for that.  You should not order your line unless you are ready to use it

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For personal reasons we were unable to do it, but now we can and we tried to explain that to the rep, but he essentially called us lazy and that we should have called when we first got the sim card. 

The rep was probably looking at the contract agreement and their company rules. I wouldn’t go further in translating Koodo rep words.

If Koodo followed their rule and Canada post did their part in shipping, then it isn’t matter of CRTC. I would suggest you contact Koodo again and ask to speak to a manager and gently persuade them again. I would keep the conversation civil and to the point.

Koodo pre-activates your sim based on when your sim is estimated to arrive at your address in the mail.

Sometimes the postal service gets delayed  and Koodo would gladly credit you for that delay.

However, if you purposefully delay using the sim card on your own accord, then no you wont get a credit for that.  You should not order your line unless you are ready to use it

We were ready to use it when we initially ordered it but then things came up that prevented us from being able to activate it. Telus, Bell and Rogers don’t have this practice, they will send you the card and then you call to activate it. So why does Koodo think it’s fair to start charging someone for a service that they hadn’t provided (the time it takes for the postal service to deliver the sim).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My wife has already spoke with the CRTC and put in a complaint and they are investigating Koodos activation process because it is essentially stealing from customers even if it is only for the 2 days that people have to wait for their sim card in the mail. 

It’s not right, it’s never specified in the agreement, unfair and shady business practices. 

Edit: I can’t delete my reply and I saw Dennis and you replied already... 

So, you were ready to use when you ordered SIM , but something came up and couldn’t use the service…

You could at lease send them a message or call them(call back) to discuss your situation when the time something came up...?

We didn’t know we weren’t going to be able to use it right away. Some personal issues came up that we had to deal with first.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter when or why we couldn’t use the sim right away, it is Koodo’s business practice of activating the sim and charging the customer before they even receive their sim card. Even if it is for the 2 days it takes for it to be mailed to the customer, they should not have to call and ask for a bill credit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We didn’t know we weren’t going to be able to use it right away. Some personal issues came up that we had to deal with first.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter when or why we couldn’t use the sim right away, it is Koodo’s business practice of activating the sim and charging the customer before they even receive their sim card. Even if it is for the 2 days it takes for it to be mailed to the customer, they should not have to call and ask for a bill credit. 

Can you share where you saw Bell/Rogers/Telus didn’t activate the SIM when it arrived? As far as I know, All carriers did activate your SIM before the SIM arrives .If shipping was quick, it should only 1,2 days.

If you wanted to control everything from the date of activation and payment, I think you might want to look into prepaid option.

Can you share where you saw Bell/Rogers/Telus didn’t activate the SIM when it arrived?

As far as I know, All carriers did activate your SIM before the SIM arrives .If shipping was quick, it should only 1,2 days.

If you wanted to control everything from the date of activation and payment, I think you might want to look into prepaid option.

I have done it in the past, ordered online received the sim, then had to travel for work so I called and activated it when I got home two weeks later. No charges until the date I called and activated my cell phone. 

I didn’t plan on not being able to activate our sim for Koodo so I didn’t choose prepaid. 

Even if it was quick Koodo was still charging the person for those 1-2 days that the sim was in the mail, again not a very honest business practice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you share where you saw Bell/Rogers/Telus didn’t activate the SIM when it arrived?

As far as I know, All carriers did activate your SIM before the SIM arrives .If shipping was quick, it should only 1,2 days.

I have done it in the past, ordered online received the sim, then had to travel for work so I called and activated it when I got home two weeks later. No charges until the date I called and activated my cell phone. 

I didn’t plan on not being able to activate our sim for Koodo so I didn’t choose prepaid. 

Even if it was quick Koodo was still charging the person for those 1-2 days that the sim was in the mail, again not a very honest business practice. 

Can you show me the link?

If you ordered the SIM but didn’t order the service then it was something else.

If you ordered the service and didn’t use then it was another issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Either way, this is Koodo’s practice.  Koodo is the poorer, ignored younger sibling of Telus.  Koodo does not have the feature for customer to activate when they are ready… though I do wish they have this feature. 

Koodo does try to activate based on the estimated delivery time.  A vast majority of the time it is aligned perfectly so it activates when your sim arrives.  In some instances, the activation happens a day or 2 after it arrives, and in some instances the activation happens a day or 2 before it arrives.

However, this is not your issue since even if it activated perfectly when it arrived it would not have stopped your issue.

Personally I would send Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter and see if Koodo can make an exception in this case.  There is no guarantee that they will, but a polite and respectful ask would go a long way.

Either way, this is Koodo’s practice.  Koodo is the poorer, ignored younger sibling of Telus.  Koodo does not have the feature for customer to activate when they are ready… though I do wish they have this feature. 

Koodo does try to activate based on the estimated delivery time.  A vast majority of the time it is aligned perfectly so it activates when your sim arrives.  In some instances, the activation happens a day or 2 after it arrives, and in some instances the activation happens a day or 2 before it arrives.

However, this is not your issue since even if it activated perfectly when it arrived it would not have stopped your issue.

Personally I would send Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter and see if Koodo can make an exception in this case.  There is no guarantee that they will, but a polite and respectful ask would go a long way.

Thanks Dennis my wife has much nicer voice than I do and is much. smarter so I think she will contact them directly ha! :)