Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G Wi-Fi

It is really unclear to me if the new Moto G has Wi-Fi Hotspot capabilities. Does someone know for sure?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just check my settings. Yes I can confirm it does
Userlevel 2
There is no mention of WiFi Hotspot in the list of features. So it's a safe guess that the phone isn't able to do that.
Userlevel 7
Myke wrote:

There is no mention of WiFi Hotspot in the list of features. So it's a safe guess that the phone ...

Neither does the Nexus 4 or 5, S III, Mega, HTC Desire, or... several of the other Androids. I would reference GSMarena, the OEM website, or someone who actually has one and uses it for confirmation of a feature rather than a half-assed carrier features page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have yet to find an Android device that doesn't have the capability to be a wifi hot spot so of course it does 😉
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I have yet to find an Android device that doesn't have the capability to be a wifi hot spot so of...

I have one i bought the day it camevout and mine does not have a hot spot ive been in and out of phone.
Varied answers there. I appreciate the photo as well as the other answers. I have read that you can use the wi-fi in Britain, but not in the US. What I need to know, Dennis or others, is have you actually used it in Canada, quite part from what the settings say?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This shows I connected to said hotspot above and googling in the background right now

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mb1952 wrote:

Thank you.

Like a I said above all Android devices have the hot spotfeature aas it built right into the base of Android. It can be used everywhere just some carriers may charge tethering fees for using it, Koodo does not you are just charged for the straight data usage only like you are with your phone. Keep in mind that tethering uses more data than your phone does so be careful not to rack up a huge bill. It uses more because it's loading full webpage where you mobile device loads a less data heavy mobile verion of a website.
Userlevel 7
mb1952 wrote:

Thank you.

I think it was added in 4.0... or is it hardware dependant? I've seen some Gingerbread phones able to use the hotspot feature so maybe I'm wrong. Tethering was the worst when data first started becoming popular for that; people were paying extra just to tether/hotspot and thankfully nobody does that anymore. If a customer pays for a data package, they should be free to use it how they wish.
What I am wanting to do is get this as my next phone for phone use only. I assume I can turn the data off and then use the hotspots for internet connection when on the road. Does that plan seem workable?
Badge +4
mb1952 wrote:

What I am wanting to do is get this as my next phone for phone use only. I assume I can turn the ...

You just need to enable Wi-Fi on your Moto G to be able to scan and access available Wi-Fi hotspots, i.e. Tim Horton's, Starbucks, McDonald's. There's no need to setup a Wi-Fi hotspot of your own as this means you will be sharing your internet data with other devices which in turn, will incur data charges. Your plan is definitely workable and all Android devices these days are Wi-Fi equipped.