Koodo Community
Solved

Massive Rate Increase 20%

• 4 February 2021
  • 12 replies

• New User
  • 12 replies

I know prices go up, but I think a 20% increase is outrageous. We have a couple of cell phones with Koodo and to have both phones go up by 20% is a little excessive!!!

It seems Koodo (realy Telus) does not care about customer loyalty - will have to check out the competition!!

icon

Best answer by Mayumi 5 February 2021, 00:00

Ours started as a $20 per phone plan a few years back, however, when we changed to newer model phones they jacked the rate up to $25.  I guess because we have not upgraded to newer phones lately they now want $30 per phone.

What phone did you buy?  Did you buy it on Tab? If you used the Tab, then minimum requirement to use Tab basic is with plan $25 and over. 

Did you see buy outright option?  If you bought it outright, then you should be able to keep your plan.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which plan were you on? I saw an increase of $5 on a $20 plan (25% increase)  in a recent post on the forum.

Ours started as a $20 per phone plan a few years back, however, when we changed to newer model phones they jacked the rate up to $25.  I guess because we have not upgraded to newer phones lately they now want $30 per phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What phone did you buy?  Did you buy it on Tab? If you used the Tab, then minimum requirement to use Tab basic is with plan $25 and over. 

Did you see buy outright option?  If you bought it outright, then you should be able to keep your plan.

The last one we bought on the Tab.  So in addition to the Tab cost they jacked up the monthly cost by $5..

The cost of living has not gone up by 20% :rage:  My pension went up by .05%. 

I am wondering what the CRTC has to say about a 20% rate increase.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The CRTC will only ask if you weren't given 30 days notice as that's all Koodo needs to do, and if you refuse if you were charged a fee to go to another carrier. Unfortunately you don't have a leg to stand on threatening the CRTC.

It may be a big % increase but it's still a small hard dollar increase. Inflation happens. Most carriers eventually raise the lowest priced plans after so many years at some point eventually. Price plans aren't indexed to inflation on an annual basis but as some point some plans will see increases.

Maybe it is only a small dollar increase to Koodo, so why are they then doing it?  The answer is you build a chimney one brick at a time.  That is how McDonalds became so rich.  It is all about quantity. So $5  multiplied by a few hundred thousand it becomes substantial.

Thank you for your comments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well obviously for money. Welcome to capitalism.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi!

You can find here plans range for each tab while upgrading your device: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=keep%20current%20plan

I received this notice today, how does this not violate my contract?

I have not used my tab or made any other changes to my account, there should be no changes to the terms.

I totally agree with you.  These contracts are like insurance policies,  everything is covered until you need to make a claim-then um I’m sorry that is not covered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I received this notice today, how does this not violate my contract?

I have not used my tab or made any other changes to my account, there should be no changes to the terms.

They are not violate your contact if you check their service term.

https://www.koodomobile.com/service-terms

If you use your service only minimal, then you should check their ( or Public mobile, or any other companies) prepaid service too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I totally agree with you.  These contracts are like insurance policies,  everything is covered until you need to make a claim-then um I’m sorry that is not covered.

According to the wireless code, the carrier cannot change the terms of the contract during the commitment period (ie your tab period). If your tab has ended then your terms can be changed. 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm