Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Keeping a number within Koodo

Hello Im a current Koodo customer on sim only monthly, and Ive just purchased a new phone with a new plan. I want to cancel my old plan but keep the old number and transfer it to the new one. Is this possible? And if so how easy is it? Thanks Michael

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That's tricky. You may need to call Koodo (*611) to execute this. Ideally you would have used your exisiting account to change plans and upgrade. The only way a customer wuld be able to to this now is to port your number over to Koodo prepaid, then port it back to your new account with the new phone and plan. Why dont you just return your new phone and close your account (there is a 15 day return period). Then upgrade via you're exisiting account
hey thanks for the reply. I made the purchase of the new phone online, and I logged in as an existing customer when making the purchase so I assumed it would be added to my account, and I didn't see an option to upgrade online. I then got an email today with a new account no. etc think I might just avoid the hassle and any fees and stick with the new number
Userlevel 6
Michael McLarnon wrote:

hey thanks for the reply. I made the purchase of the new phone online, and I logged in as an exis...

Ultimately, what should have been done is you just buying the phone and when you get it swap the SIM card to the new one. Then change to the plan of your choice. But you are right the instructions are not clear on that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michael McLarnon wrote:

hey thanks for the reply. I made the purchase of the new phone online, and I logged in as an exis...

If the number is not critical, just leave sleeping dogs lie. Shoulda, coulda, woulda not very helpful to original poster. Dump the old account and start with a clean slate so there is no confusion.
Userlevel 7
Michael McLarnon wrote:

Shoulda, would, coulda may not be helpful Bob but neither was your reply. Don't insult someones reply and then proceed to not help the OP whatsoever. Rudy's reply was in fact a lot more helpful than yours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michael McLarnon wrote:

Yessir!! Was just agreeing with original poster on his decision to make things simple. I'd rather hear from original poster if answer was helpful or not rather than another arbiter... thanks for your 100% positive reply below so we all know how to fall in line.
Michael McLarnon wrote:

hey thank for the replies, its true the instructions aren't clear and I did enter details on one of the pages stating I already had an account so Im not sure what happened. to be honest I think it would be easier to keep the new number because a) I don't want to have to pay extra to keep my old one and b) im pretty sure something will go wrong with the number transfer thanks for the advise though
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From my understanding, ordering the a phone online does not activate a new account. But I am unsure as I have not ordered from online before. I would call *611 on your koodo cell to ask. Dont worry it is a free call. They only charge you for completing something that you could have done on your own via self serve
Dennis wrote:

From my understanding, ordering the a phone online does not activate a new account. But I am uns...

yeh that's what happened, maybe I did something wrong during the process of ordering, but I was asked if I had an account already and I filled in the Info so I assumed it would have been added. anyway its no big deal I'll just keep the new number. thanks though
Userlevel 7
I'll save you a lot of time by just telling you that it's 100% NOT POSSIBLE to transfer your number to the new line. You cannot transfer a monthly number to another monthly plan on the same carrier. You can from prepaid to monthly and visversa but not monthly-to-monthly.
Ahmad wrote:

I'll save you a lot of time by just telling you that it's 100% NOT POSSIBLE to transfer your numb...

cheers, it seems like something that could be done easily though. I saw another thread somewhere and some said If I change my old number to something different via self serve, it would free up my old number, and then I could then change my new number to the old one as it was then available. that seems tricky and I doubt that would work to be honest