Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is there a difference in effect between declaring my phone lost or stolen?

So, in the self serve menu, when I am going to suspend a phone as lost/stolen, I am required to select one or the other. Does my selection have any effect on what happens next? ie, does a lost phone have more access than a stolen one? Does selecting stolen put the holder in any kind of legal crosshairs? My situation is that I am the account holder of a phone, the holder is an ex. I want to disable the phone, but I am not looking to cause any legal trouble. I am even willing to allow her to use the phone once she has paid me for the usage, until the tab balance is at 0, at which point I will cancel it. Also, if we can't reach an agreement, what is the best way to end my service if my tab balance is still over $250? Can I put a seasonal hold on the phone while it is locked with a lost/stolen suspension? Or would it be better to simply pay the tab balance and cancel?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
When you select lost/stolen, it adds it to a list, where it cannot be activated on any Canadian provider. That's really all that it does. If you want to suspend the service of the phone & you don't see the option to do that, then call Customer Care & they can do that for you. You can't select Seasonal Hold as you wouldn't be going out of the country. If you want to end the service of the phone, then you will have to pay the remaining negative tab balance.
Myke wrote:

When you select lost/stolen, it adds it to a list, where it cannot be activated on any Canadian p...

So it doesn't matter if I select lost, or stolen from the dropdown menu? It seems strange that they give you the option to distinguish between the two and there is no difference in effect.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

When you select lost/stolen, it adds it to a list, where it cannot be activated on any Canadian p...

There is no real difference between the two specifically. It's mainly a label. Though if you want to suspend for the sake of suspending, call in and request suspension.