Koodo Community
Question

International Sim Card Issue

Hey everyone, so I wanted make a post about an issue I'm having with my Koodo SIM Card.

So basically, I'm currently traveling in Europe for a month or 2 in the summer of 2019, and the day before I left I contacted Koodo to let them know about my travel plans, and after failing to accommodate my request with a cheap monthly/pay-per-use plan while I'd be away, I told them I have no choice but to cancel their services completely and get a local SIM card instead as it would be much cheaper. They said "Ok, no problem, we understand" and we agreed to cancel my number/account on the next day while I was on my way to Europe. So I thought that was that and that I was good to go.

Well, after arriving to Europe, I tried to install a local SIM card but for whatever reason it didn't seem to work. It required some password to be able to go into the phone and the guys at the store told me that they cannot access my phone.

Then I realized it must be because the SIM card was still "Locked", so I tried to find out how I can unlock it, and after doing some research, I was told I should log into my account, go under Mobile Settings, etc. But when I go on my Koodo self-serve account, all I see is a blank page with a blue box whenever I click on any of the options on my account. I attached a screenshot to show you what I mean.

So what am I supposed to do now to fix this? How can I get the SIM card unlocked? Right now I can't even call Koodo because I don't have any regular phone numbers to use in order to reach them (I can only call people via WhatsApp/Viber/Skype), their online livechat bot is useless for me, and quite frankly I don't understand why the people I spoke with initially never told me anything about unlocking my SIM card in advance since I explicitly told them that I'm planning to get a new one when I go to Europe. This is just my first time traveling outside of NA so I wouldn't have known all the specifics like this.

Anyways, if anyone knows what I can do now to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it! I just really need to use a local SIM card asap to *at least* have internet access when I'm outside my apartment and wondering around the cities.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Send koodo a private message via Facebook or Twitter along with your imei and they will send you the unlock code.

Note that they have a bit of a back log but should typically respond within 2 business days or so
Send koodo a private message via Facebook or Twitter along with your imei and they will send you the unlock code.

Note that they have a bit of a back log but should typically respond within 2 business days or so

Great, thank you very much for the tip Dennis!

I just reached out to them via Facebook and attached my IMEI. Hopefully they get back to me soon.