Koodo Community
Question

Incorrect Data Usage Tracking

• 3 July 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a $25/mo plan with no data. Because of this, I ALWAYS keep the mobile data option off, and am almost always connected to WiFi.

For the past few months, self serve can verify that my data usage is consistently zero, with the exception of the daily 0.0020MB that is for some reason shown as being used each day. This changed on June 25th however, when self serve showed that I was all of a sudden using data, anywhere between 5MB and 10MB per day, in small increments throughout the day. Many of these data usages are timestamped in the overnight hours when I was sleeping! This resulted in additional fraudulent charges on my bill.

My phone is inconsistent with Koodo’s accounting of usage, and confirms that I have had zero data usage in the same time frame. Has anyone else encountered this error? And if so, what did Koodo do to fix it? When I called them, they could not address the underlying issue, and instead simply offered the “data block” add-on for free (regular $2/mo) to ensure the problem would not continue.

This solution is an adequate fix for me who doesn’t need data, but my Wife who has a 250MB data plan says the same thing occurs for her, and frequently she gets messages from Koodo about data being used up when she knows her mobile data connection has been turned off. What’s the point in paying for 250MB when in reality you can only use a fraction of that before running out because the system is logging incorrect usage??

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How did you speak with Koodo about this issue?  Was it the result of an overage charge for the data used?  Was this pre-covid19?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What phone do you have?

Did you check your phone setting?   Can you check which app(s) is using your data?

I used the chat feature to request a call back from Koodo. I first found out about the issue when I got a text notification from Koodo that I used 50% of my 100MB of data. I thought that was weird since I don't have any data on my plan. That's when I logged into self serve and noticed the data usage, and the corresponding additional $10 I was being charged. This was not pre COVID. The data usage according to Koodo began on June 25, 2020, and I first noticed it yesterday.

I have Google Pixel 3, and my phone's data usage schedule is synchronized with my Koodo billing cycle. My phone says I have not used any data at all prior to, or since June 25th.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can also change your apn settings by changing your apn address to something that wont work.  For example, I used to change sp.koodo.com to sp.koodo.com123

Test this to see if this fixes your issue first

Thanks Dennis,

I appreciate the suggestion, but it’s a moot point now as Koodo has already gifted me with the “data block” option free of charge so I don’t need to worry about continued fraudulent data charges. I’m more concerned with the underlying issue at play here, and would love for Koodo to figure out whats going on so they don’t have to rely on a data block.

Like I said, my Wife has noticed the same issue with her phone,  and she does occasionally use data so neither adding the data block option, nor changing her apn address are sufficient solutions. As an example of her issue, when Koodo sends her a text saying she has used 50% of her 250MB allotment, her phone says she has actually used considerably less data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks Dennis,

I appreciate the suggestion, but it’s a moot point now as Koodo has already gifted me with the “data block” option free of charge so I don’t need to worry about continued fraudulent data charges. I’m more concerned with the underlying issue at play here, and would love for Koodo to figure out whats going on so they don’t have to rely on a data block.

Like I said, my Wife has noticed the same issue with her phone,  and she does occasionally use data so neither adding the data block option, nor changing her apn address are sufficient solutions. As an example of her issue, when Koodo sends her a text saying she has used 50% of her 250MB allotment, her phone says she has actually used considerably less data. 

You can change the APN on your wife’s phone too.  it is basically the same as turning off data but via the apn address.

I used to do this before data block was invented