Koodo Community
Solved

Incorrect data usage tracking

My data usage from self-serve shows that there are many times exact 20.0000MB or even 120.0000MB data usage almost every day. It started this bill period. How is that possible for anyone to use exact 20.0000MB multiple times on different days. It has to be a tracking error.  An example is shown in the picture. 

icon

Best answer by Sophia 10 June 2020, 16:32

I think it's more a reserved allotment that is released again later. If you overall usage seems correct, I wouldn't worry about it.

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think it's more a reserved allotment that is released again later. If you overall usage seems correct, I wouldn't worry about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you consume data across a reporting interval, you receive a report of some rounded number of data consumed. The exact amount of data is adjusted for the final tally.

Thank you Sophia.

The overall usage does not seem right and I am almost over my 2G limit now with 5 days left for next billing. It also looks odd that 20MB and 120MB were used even when I was at home on WIFI. See another day usage as shown in the picture. Exact 20MB data were recorded multiple times. I did receive a couple of calls from Koodo that tried to sell me more data. Something is not right, and I am sure I will be charged for over-limit data if this keeps happening. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How does this compare to what your phone’s internal data usage tracker is saying?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I tested myself to see if Koodo tracked my data correctly and if the 20Mb (or multiple of 20s) in data usage report is correct. For one day, it seems Koodo and iPhone reported similarly (with a small difference). You guys can see below. I reset the data late last night and got around 8Mb in Jun10 night so the data usage in my iphone was little higher. It is time to put this "urban legend” to rest. 

I switched from Virgin Mobile to a Koodo 15GB plan and within a few days, half my data was used, including an unexplained 6GB (even numbers) at a time I was on wifi. Using two data-tracking apps on my iPhone XR, they show I’ve used half of what Koodo is reporting. On Virgin, I never saw these random large data usages. Think I’ll go back if Koodo is arbitrarily adding to my data usage. Guess the 15GB data deal was really 7GB!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I switched from Virgin Mobile to a Koodo 15GB plan and within a few days, half my data was used, including an unexplained 6GB (even numbers) at a time I was on wifi. Using two data-tracking apps on my iPhone XR, they show I’ve used half of what Koodo is reporting. On Virgin, I never saw these random large data usages. Think I’ll go back if Koodo is arbitrarily adding to my data usage. Guess the 15GB data deal was really 7GB!

If you just switched to Koodo your talk and data would be pro-rated

Pro-rated? Sorry, that doesn’t make sense. I started a new plan with Koodo on Dec 17, with 15gb until Jan 17.  Koodo says I’ve used 12.9 gb thus far, yet my data-usage apps on the iPhone say, 8.2gb, which makes sense. Koodo’s data usage reports make no sense to me and tech support was unable to explain it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Pro-rated? Sorry, that doesn’t make sense. I started a new plan with Koodo on Dec 17, with 15gb until Jan 17.  Koodo says I’ve used 12.9 gb thus far, yet my data-usage apps on the iPhone say, 8.2gb, which makes sense. Koodo’s data usage reports make no sense to me and tech support was unable to explain it. 

Can you post a screen shot of the data usage screen from your phone on here?

Here’s what I have from  MyDataMgr and DataUsage apps on iPhone:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Indeed it does not make sense. You'll have to speak with a Rep again to get it corrected. What of your iphones data tracker? Does it also match the third party ones you use?

Thanks, Goran.

On my iPhone Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data>Current Period shows 6.5GB (since Dec. 24. I reset the stats on that date trying to figure out where the 6GB came from on Dec.22). Is there another iPhone data tracker in Settings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, that’s it. Well in that case, if you haven’t yet, put all those screenshots forward to Koodo to request a correction of some sort or not be charged overage for that much of a difference. I’d also see what happens next billing cycle.

Thanks again, Goran. 

Who exactly do I send this to at Koodo? So  far I’ve only been able to get a callback from tech support and they couldn’t understand what I was talking about. Is there an email address that will get me to the right support person?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Why does the first photo indicate 8.27Gb and the other photos indicate 4.775GB?

Thanks, Goran.

On my iPhone Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data>Current Period shows 6.5GB (since Dec. 24. I reset the stats on that date trying to figure out where the 6GB came from on Dec.22). Is there another iPhone data tracker in Settings?

So if shows 6.5GB since Dec.24 and you had 6GB on Dec.22 prior to resetting, wouldn't that add-up 12+GB that Koodo is saying you used?

Two different apps. The first one is from MyDataMgr (which I think is more accurate), the other from DataUsage. I’m not disputing usage since Dec. 24 (when I reset stats on iPhone), but the 6.00GB on Dec.22 (which doesn’t show in any iPhone apps since I reset the stats on Dec. 24) is still a mystery. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well if you are talking via social media then send the screenshots. If you're getting a callback whatever method they tell you to use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Two different apps. The first one is from MyDataMgr (which I think is more accurate), the other from DataUsage. I’m not disputing usage since Dec. 24 (when I reset stats on iPhone), but the 6.00GB on Dec.22 (which doesn’t show in any iPhone apps since I reset the stats on Dec. 24) is still a mystery. 

Except the 6GB used was noted on your iphone’s native data usage in settings right ?

Or am i misunderstanding?