Koodo Community
Solved

how to switch old unlocked phone on monthly plan to newer unlocked phone

• 20 February 2021
  • 3 replies

• New User
  • 5 replies

Hello, I have a monthly plan for an unlocked iphone 4.  I would like to change the iphone 4 to an iphone SE (I have the new phone already).   I am not sure what I need to do.  Firstly, I know I need to get a nano sim card.  Looking online on Amazon and Best Buy, I see Koodo Prepaid Tri-Cut sim cards.  Can I use the “prepaid” sim card in my new phone that I want to use on my monthly plan?    After I get the correct sim card, what are the next steps to my switching to the new phone on my monthly plan?  thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Sophia 23 February 2021, 06:30

I might be dense, but if you have a plan already then all you need to do is move the SIM card from the old phone to the new one.

Check if your SIM isn't tri cut already, they have been for years now.

If that is not what you meant, see previous excellent answers haha!

Edit: if you have a postpaid plan, you can't buy a prepaid SIM. You will need to buy a postpaid one and activate it in self serve.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I might be dense, but if you have a plan already then all you need to do is move the SIM card from the old phone to the new one.

Check if your SIM isn't tri cut already, they have been for years now.

If that is not what you meant, see previous excellent answers haha!

Edit: if you have a postpaid plan, you can't buy a prepaid SIM. You will need to buy a postpaid one and activate it in self serve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How did you buy your new phone?  If you bought it from Koodo, then you it should come with a postpaid sim card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello, I have a monthly plan for an unlocked iphone 4.  I would like to change the iphone 4 to an iphone SE (I have the new phone already).   I am not sure what I need to do.  Firstly, I know I need to get a nano sim card.  Looking online on Amazon and Best Buy, I see Koodo Prepaid Tri-Cut sim cards.  Can I use the “prepaid” sim card in my new phone that I want to use on my monthly plan?    After I get the correct sim card, what are the next steps to my switching to the new phone on my monthly plan?  thank you in advance!

If you are already on a monthly plan, you are supposed to get a SIM card for a postpaid plan. The ones you see online are for prepaid plans. 

You should be able to buy a postpaid SIM card at a Koodo store or an authorized dealer. If you are unable to do this, schedule a callback through Koodo Assist or send a message on Facebook Messenger or Twitter for more assistance.

Once you got your new SIM card, log in to your Self Serve account. Select “Mobile services” under the Self Serve tab and then select “Change your SIM card”. Follow the instructions and you'll be up and running within minutes.