Koodo Community

Community

Question

How to block premium text messages at the account level?

Userlevel 2
Coming from Rogers/Fido, the customer was able to make a call into CS and have them place a permanent block on premium SMS/text messages. This was done at no charge to the customer. The reason for this feature is because scammers have in the past randomly spammed cellular numbers with advertisements for which the customer never subscribed to and then the customer gets dinged by their carrier for the surcharge SMS.

Does Koodo have the ability to block these messages?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. Koodo is not able to block messages at the account level. Also, spam advertising messages are different from premium messages, which typically charge a per message (or per month) subscription fee. Incoming text messages have also always been free on koodo accounts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You should not get any premium messaging charges. That typically happens when a user initiates something. Call a number etc. 
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

You should not get any premium messaging charges. That typically happens when a user initiates so...

Normally this is true...a few years ago there was a company which was untraceable that was spamming both Rogers customers heavily. Initially Rogers said the same thing, but after many complaints from a vast amount of users and an investigation, it was determined it was a very sophisticated bot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

You should not get any premium messaging charges. That typically happens when a user initiates so...

I believed the problem has been resolved. Telus has refunded customers the money http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/telus-premium-text-message-competition-bureau-1.3384379
They properly have taken steps to prevent this. If not, you could go report again, and ask them to refund.
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

I don't know if "properly" is the correct term. 

My situation did eventually get resolved and several refunds were applied. I still get the occasional spam SMS. The only reason I still get the spam SMS is because the premium text messaging block was removed by accident due to an "administrative" error. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

I don't know what your experiences was, and when did that happen. Was it with Rogers?. I haven't received any service like that since I got service with Koodo last 1,2 years (on and off).

According to this: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/telus-customers-will-receive-over-7-million-in-r...; Telus stopped most services, except some charity, donation.
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

Yes, it was with Rogers during around the same time with Telus (don't know anyone with Koodo) in the link you provided. Many of my colleagues with both Rogers and Fido also got these spam premium text messages.

At first, Rogers said it was my fault, I had to have subscribed to a premium service. I told them firmly no. The issue did get escalated and then I got an acknowledgment from a senior supervisor that they believe me as they've had a lot of similar calls and complaints.

Rogers said they they had no control of these premium texts. So their solution was to put a premium sms block on my account.  The result was that I lost access to SMS from my bank but SMS from individuals was not blocked. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Oh, that was bad. I was with Rogers, Fido for 8,9 years before. I often replied STOP to any suspected message, and checked my bill regularly. I left because they changed my plan to "expired" and could not upgrade my phone if I didn't pay more.

From the the article, look like the Competition Bureau took the steps on the carriers to make them stop. If you find any services like that sent to you, I would suggest you contact carriers to ask for refund. Since I joined Koodo, I haven't received any offer like that.
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

@Azure123. I was with Rogers for more than 20 years...actually even longer going back to the Cantel era. They did the exact same thing to me last year as they did to you. They changed my plan to expired only a month after my contract term expired. Normally, the customer can go many, many years on the same month-to-month plan.   
However, since Ted Rogers died, Rogers plans, loyalty and good will gestures have been pathetic. I received a lot of empathy from the CSR retention department. They were quite candid and told me that should a better plan come available with the competition, then jump on it. So, here I am now with Koodo.